“much better can be had in Oxford for the price”

Burlington House Hotel
Ranked #18 of 45 Hotels in Oxford
Reviewed 20 July 2017

lets start with the positive, location good and public transport available, free parking available, breakfast excellent,.
the negative - where do I start?
well this is not even a 4 star, I would say a 3 star,
this is not even a hotel, it is a guest house,
this is not even the house as your basic room is located in an annex across the courtyard.
the room is tiny, just enough space to walk around the bed. the bathroom is good with skylight ventilation and we were lucky as we had lovely weather to sit out in the courtyard away from the claustrophobic room.
hotel must be paid for before leaving and a 2% surcharge for credit cards.

Maybe if you paid top dollar you would get a room in the main house but for the price of nearly €300 much better can be had in Oxford for the price

Room Tip: at least get a room in the house
  • Stayed: July 2017, travelled as a couple
4  Thank joe007

Reviewed 13 July 2017

I stayed to the Burlington House Hotel at the end of January when I had just moved to Oxford. I stayed only one night but I was very impressed with the quality of the accommodations. The room we were assigned to had recently been renovated and was absolutely lovely. The bed was so comfortable as well.

We had a nice breakfast inboxed the morning that was included in the rate. The food and service were excellent. The manager ( unfortunately I forgot his name as it was quite a few months ago) was extremely nice and recommended us restaurants in the area.

I would definitely recommend this hotel to my friends/family. It is a great find that is a little outside the centre of Oxford, and which I prefer to the busy centre.

Room Tip: The room we had on the top floor was amazing and spacious
  • Stayed: January 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 11 July 2017

It's hard to find a decent hotel close to the city centre which isn't at an extortionate rate. If you find a a cheaper hotels nearer town, be prepared to compromise on quality. I have stayed here a few times for work, and with free parking, it's the perfect middle ground between close to the city at a competitive price. Lovely hotel and decor, up to date interior. Friendly staff and great cooked breakfast. Highly recommend this hotel when staying in Oxford. It's about a 8 minute ride on the bike to town or 25-30 min walk depending on your walking pace. Restaurants within 5 minute walk of hotel in SummerTown.

Room Tip: The single rooms are still very big. Call the hotel for description, because they can be different.
  • Stayed: July 2017, travelled on business
Reviewed 2 July 2017

This is a good B&B, but I'm not sure it deserves 5 gold stars.
The breakfast was mostly jolly good, two parts less so -- bland coffee, and not-very-well microwaved scrambled eggs (maybe poached would have been better?) The rest was fine - a medium-sized buffet, good bacon, sausages and mushrooms. The much-hyped bread was OK. Responsive, willing service.
Our "courtyard" room was disappointing -- modern, somewhat dark, a good spacious shower room let down by a lack of floorspace in the bedroom (on one side of the bed in particular) and a lack of space to put things down. The Banbury Road is busy during the day but we slept well. Can't speak for the rooms in the main house (which for obvious reason will presumably vary in space and layout).
I know Oxford is expensive, but I'd expect better for £115 a nigh for two

• Stayed: June 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 26 June 2017

We spent a lovely couple of nights in this hotel. It is about a 10-15 minute bus ride from the City centre but buses are so frequent that this wasn't a problem. We were warmly greeted, with offer of refreshments, and shown to our room. We had booked the king room which was spacious and comfortable. It had the best shower I've ever used! No AC but a fan was provided which was more than adequate. I had emailed ahead to ask if gluten free bread could be provided for my breakfast and they had also purchased GF muesli for me, which was a nice touch. Breakfast was delicious, leisurely, and we never felt rushed to finish at the advertised time. Diane and her family and staff were delightful and we thoroughly enjoyed our visit.

• Stayed: June 2017, travelled as a couple