“BEST PUB”

Cuisines: French, Pub
Dining options: After-hours, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed 18 June 2018

The menu is amazing, the food that follows your decision is even better - whatever you choose won't be a disappointment. There is a range of drinks available, the staff are super. This pub is consistently excellent, offers a lovely atmosphere and it is family owned - a rare thing in this day and age. Definitely recommend booking if you want to eat though, as it is often (unsurprisingly) busy!!

1  Thank Isabella J

Reviewed 17 June 2018

I had the spinach crepe with mushrooms, tomato, cheese and egg. Delicious. My husband had the beef bourguignon and said it was a bit salty, but good. For dessert he had the lemon sorbet and it was good. I had the salted caramel gelato and it was amazing! Best ice-cream ever. Service, food and value were excellent. Would recommend this to anyone.

Reviewed 10 June 2018

Busy Oxford pub hidden away in back streets of Jericho, I expected Morse' Jaguar to be parked outside! We need a pub for a meal but with the dog. Meal was great and dog was treated like a welcome gues with a bowl of water and a treat!

1  Thank TheRabble
Reviewed 7 June 2018 via mobile

As travellers on the canal meeting up with an old friend this was a perfect place to find. It is full of artefacts on the walls and immediately felt cosy and homely. The interior is decorated in dark colours but plenty of daylight comes through the windows. Staff were friendly and attentive throughout our meal. We arrived early enough for the set meal (before 7pm). There was sufficient choice on the menu and we opted for two courses at under £11: very good value. A large glass of Sauvignon Blanc is around £7.00 and of fair quality.
Several of us chose fish pie which was slightly watery but flavoursome and a good size. Vegetables are charged separately at £3.50 but one order is sufficient for two people. One dish on the menu was accompanied by new potatoes but strangely when asked if the mash on another dish could be swooped for new potatoes this was not possible but chips were available. The lemon tart was tasty and the only option for the pudding choice on the set menu.
We had a pleasant couple of hours and would certainly return.

Reviewed 5 June 2018

My wife and I had dinner here the second night of our Oxford stay. We tried to eat here the night before but they stopped serving food because it was karaoke night. Anyway, we were glad we returned. We arrived early enough to order off the pre fix dinner menu - I ordered the 3 choices and my wife 2. We had the following and our ratings were:
Apptetizers
5 - Leek n mushroom. I had this and it tasted like artichoke dip - excellent.
3 - Mushroom soup. My wife didn't like that it included carrots and oranges.
5 - chicken coque au vin. Really good. I think this is the first time I have eaten this. Contained, diced chicken, garlic, some type wine/brandy, diced bacon, onion, carrots, and either turnips/parsips/potatoes. Going to try to make this at home when my garden veggies are ripe.
4 - Fish pie. My wife liked it but she had better at other British pubs.
3 - Lemon tart w ice cream. Okay but nothing to write home about.
3 - Draft beers. Good but served in smaller glasses so the 4.2 pound price per was a leetle steep.

Service was good and friendly until the place got crowded, but luckily we were eating our mains by then.

Josh M, Owner at The Old Bookbinders Ale House, responded to this reviewResponded 6 June 2018

Hello Robert,

Thank you for a lovely review. I'm glad you came back to try us again and I'm glad that the majority of your meal was to your satisfaction!

I'm sorry to hear that your wife wasn't too keen on our carrot and orange soup (although there were no mushrooms in there I'm afraid), we like to try different flavours to the norm every now and again and that is one that we were rather happy with! But taste is, of course, subjective.

In regards to our beers, we serve all of our ales in a full pint serving, hence the pint price tag. It may have looked like a smaller glass as we use the traditional "nonic" glass, which is shorter than a lot of the newer straight glasses that a lot of pubs use, but I assure you you have not been short changed on liquid!

We look forward to seeing you next time you're around,