“Thirsty for adventure ”

Price range: US$8 - US$13
Cuisines: Cafe
Good for: Groups
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Description: Thirsty Meeples is the UK's first (and continues to be the greatest) board game cafe. We have a collection of over 2'600 board games available to play. Classic, Children's, Strategy, Abstract, Family, Two-Player, Fantasy & Adventure, Party, Dice and Card games. More games are added every week. For your fee you get three hours during which you can play as many games as you like! There is a cover charge of £6 For Adults, £5 For Children aged 12 and under. Our staff called Game Gurus can help with choosing games from our collection and explaining the rules. We provide a full table service with a range of hot and cold drinks, sandwiches, cakes and snacks. Now of course we sell board games too and if there is something specific you're looking for just give us a ring and we'll let you know if it's available! We're open Monday to Friday 11am to 11pm (dependant on business), Saturday 9am to midnight, Sunday 9am to 11pm.
Reviewed 12 April 2018 via mobile

I've been to Oxford before and seen the usual suspects, I wanted to do something a little different on this trip.

Being a little geeky, me and my friend decided to book a table for the afternoon. With over 2500 board/card games to choose from 3 hours seemed such little time to get through them all.

The staff were incredibly helpful and were very knowledgeable on what games would suit different players. They explained thw rules if you wanted a quick run down before playing, handy if youve never picked up that game before. Food and beverages can be ordered whilst playing. This was equally as good including the macha tea latte.

I thoroughly recommend if you fancy a few hours away from tea. You can get a good few different games in unless you decided to play one marathon of a game. Book before going to avoid disappointment.

1  Thank Limegreenjelly
Simon R, Public Relations Manager at Thirsty Meeples, responded to this reviewResponded 12 April 2018

Thank you for taking the time to write some kind words, glad to hear you had a great time.

Reviewed 3 April 2018 via mobile

One board game cafe to rule them all! Last time I checked they were at 2,700 games. They even sell games at good prices.
Good drinks, especially teas, I recommend the London Fog or the smokey Russian caravan. Sausage rolls are good, sandwiches are a bit of a joke. Yes there is alcohol.
Super helpful friendly staff (although it would be nice to see some more representation, it’s all white dudes, and the first time I ever went with my gal pal we were given the simplest silly games, which was a little insulting since we met playing MTG with professional grade decks). That aside they are usually very good with game recommendations and explanations.

Reviewed 2 April 2018

We came here on a Sunday, we luckily managed to get a walk in table but would recommend booking as it gets very busy. There is a great selection of games, and the staff are friendly and helpful. The session lasts 3 hours, you either pay £6 without food or drink or £5 if you are ordering food / drink. I would say that the drinks are quite expensive and should be slightly cheaper for what you are getting but a great 3 hours, had lots of fun and would come again.

1  Thank Ella B
Reviewed 17 March 2018 via mobile

Despite it being a busy Saturday, they managed to fit us in. The guy who seated us was fantastic! He offered recommendations for games to play, as well as recommending vegan options for myself and beer options for my partner. He went through a couple of games that we didn't know, guiding us through the rules and objectives. This was fantastic as there are so many games to choose from, recommendations were greatly appreciated.
The food was simple but delicious. I had the spiced chickpea and spinach pie. We spent a great couple of hours out of the snow, playing games and generally relaxing.

1  Thank nsparx
Simon R, Public Relations Manager at Thirsty Meeples, responded to this reviewResponded 19 March 2018

Glad you enjoyed yourselves and thank you so much for your kind words.
Really makes a difference when people take the time to review.
Regards,
TM.

Reviewed 22 February 2018

I went here on a Thursday lunch time. There were 4 or 5 tables of gamers. I love the concept of a board games cafe, and the staff here were really keen & helpful. They were so happy to recommend games to us, or to explain rule to us, but were also happy to let us choose our own. The only downside is that it seems like a costly place (£18 for 2 sandwiches & 4 cokes).

It costs £6pp to play without refreshments, or £5pp with food & drinks. You can open a tab and pay at the end. You get 3 hours there.

1  Thank N B