“Not a cheap meal but could not fault a single course”
Review of The Oxford Kitchen

The Oxford Kitchen
Reserve with OpenTable
The Oxford Kitchen is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #35 of 713 Restaurants in Oxford
Price range: US$9 - US$64
Cuisines: European, Contemporary, British
Dining options: After-hours, Lunch, Breakfast, Private Dining, Reservations
Description: RELAXED FINE DINING IN SUMMERTOWN, OXFORD: In its short history, The Oxford Kitchen has become recognised by diners and critics as one of the most exciting food outlets in the city, with fine modern British menus built around the inspired creations of Executive Chef John Footman. The restaurant's contemporary, intimate and friendly atmosphere is ideal for sampling the range of in-house pre-dinner cocktails, made with fresh, local ingredients. Tasting, À La Carte and Set Menus, designed to surprise and delight are complemented by a carefully compiled wine list.
Reviewed 19 June 2018

We went for an early wedding anniversary and had the summer taser menu with wine paring. Every course was beautifully presented and was delicious. The wine selections were good and came immediately the food was server. The standard of food is definitely up there with Michelin starred restaurants we have visited and I would certainly go back. Not a cheap meal but you do get what you pay for definitely worth a try

2  Thank Philip D

Reviewed 17 June 2018

We thoroughly enjoyed our evening at this lovely restaurant . A welcoming atmosphere and great service from the friendly efficient staff.
The food was great and we were all very pleased with our new choices
The wonderful desserts were the highlight for us all , enticingly beautiful with great flavours and absolutely delicious.

3  Thank DAG374
Reviewed 17 June 2018 via mobile

Lovely evening at Oxford Kitchen. Every course delicious - all five of us agreed the food more than lived up to expectations. The desserts were exceptional and stunning to look at. Great service friendly but not OTT. Cocktails not the best we've had and Expensive. Lovely having music but verging on lift music which was a shame but a wonderful table in this highly recommended restaurant.

2  Thank Karen D
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 3 June 2018 via mobile

My wife and I ate her for our anniversary. The food isn’t far from Michelin starred restaurants we’ve eaten at in Paris and I’m sure it won’t be long until this place receives one. Delicious!!

5  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 3 June 2018

Being the restaurant billed as "Best Restaurant in Oxford", there is some expectation when you come to this establishment! Made a booking for myself, and the wife for our wedding anniversary, and though it was hard to reach them over the phone (Tried 4 times over the span of 4 days), we were eventually able to book a table via email.

The restaurant is located very nicely within Summertown, and is not far away from the city center. From the outside, you really wouldn't expect such a refined restaurant, as it has a sophisticated but simple facade. Immediately greeted by staff as you come in, and overall the staff, and service were absolutely excellent. The atmosphere is also simple but sophisticated which I really enjoyed, didn't feel out of place or inadequate as you may at some other fine dining restaurants.

Food overall was wonderful. We had the Chefs tasting menu which had 6 courses overall, 3 of which really stood out. The Rabbit Croquette was really the most surprising dish, with a perfectly fried outside shell on the rosti potato, and very very well seasoned rabbit meat. I loved the mango ketchup that accompanied it.

Another great dish was the Pork Belly, and Scallops, which really need no further comments as it is hard to get those wrong. Perfectly caramelized Pork Belly, and very well seared, but not overcooked and rubbery scallops.

Last but not least, the Mango & Coconut Pavlova stole the show for us. I am not a big fan of desserts, but the presentation and texture really blew me away with this one. So creamy, full of flavor, and just incredibly well done.

Only reason why I am leaving a 4 bubble review is that the other dishes were good but not great, and I had very high expectations for the entire menu. For the price, I expected to be blown away every time a plate came out, though I was very satisfied with the entire experience. Still a great fine dining experience in Oxford!

1  Thank Diego_Lopes_Martinho