All reviews the pub pies blenheim palace shower door roast dinner stair case bar area is an overnight stay mash next morning woodstock gate double bed beef lovely atmosphere one night stay lovely room accommodation
Reviewed 27 May 2018

3 of us arrived at 10:45 am on Sunday and were pleased to see the sign proclaiming "food served all day" (see photo attached), because we wanted a good old English breakfast. We took our seats outside and I went up to the counter to place our order. The time was by then ten minutes to eleven.

"Sorry, sir, we only serve breakfast till eleven." Oh, I said. I thought I had ten minutes to go. "Sorry sir, the kitchen has stopped serving breakfast." Ok, say I. Can I order three coffees and have an all-day menu? "Fine sir. We'll bring the coffees. Here's the menu." Off I went to join my companions to choose items from the all-day menu.

The coffee arrives and we place our orders for food. "Sorry, sir. Those items are only available after 12.00." Oh, say we three, almost in unison. Your sign says food is served all day. "Oh, sorry. That no longer applies. We used to do that. We no longer do." You used to do that? "Yes. We longer do that. We start serving at twelve." "What about breakfast?" asks one of my party, "it's still just before eleven". "Sorry, the kitchen is closed for breakfast."

And so it goes on. One of my party, a better negotiator than myself (in fact, she's a professional negotiator), goes off to speak to management. She eventually returns with the news that we have three breakfasts on the way.

By now, I have already resolved as follows: (1) First impressions, nice ambience, lovely day in Woodstock, well, I'm already in the mood to make this a five-star review. (2) After the first disappointment, I've dropped one star. (3) By the time we've had the Monty Python discussion with the waitress I've dropped another couple of stars and I'm now down to one star - the lowest one can go in a review. (4) Then the breakfast arrives: not bad, so we're back up to two stars, I reckon. (5) On the way home our negotiator-in-chief tells me that although she had managed to persuade the supervisor finally to arrange breakfast, it had in fact been one mighty struggle, during the course of which the notion of 'customer service' was the last possible thing in the supervisor's mind. Indeed, she had even claimed that the gentleman (me) had 'never asked about breakfast and simply requested a menu so that by the time the waitress delivered the coffee the kitchen was closed for breakfast'. Pointing out the fact that it was still prior to eleven am when we spoke to the waitress, and pointing out the contradiction of the "food serve all day" sign did not help our professional negotiator get through tho the supervisor. The supervisor had been irritated that she should even be asked questions.

On hearing this, my star rating moved down again to one star. I assume that the foregoing reasoning I provide for this one-star rating is clear, so that readers can know precisely why I rate the way I do, and can be under no illusions that there are always reasons for customers bothering to do reviews.

In short, dear potential customer, beware. Before visiting The Star Inn, Woodstock, be sure not to accept without question the veracity of claims made by boldly displayed signs, by waitresses, or by supervisors. Take your chances as you deem fit.

• Stayed: May 2018, travelled with friends
1  Thank Ian220451
Reviewed 16 March 2018

Monday night is Pie Night.
We ate there and enjoyed our pies - one lamb and one beef.
They are £10 each which is pricey for a pie but they come with a choice of potatoes and vegetable. they were both quite delicious and the service was excellent.
Recommend booking as the place got very busy with no empty tables.

• Stayed: March 2018, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Terence B
Reviewed 30 January 2018 via mobile

I arrived mid afternoon on a weekday to find a warm welcome from the friendly staff and a lovely fire going.
Service was prompt and courteous and the food was very tasty.
My dad was particularly impressed with the chips.
I would definitely recommend this as a place to eat

Stayed: January 2018, travelled with family
1  Thank the-cats-mother70
Reviewed 24 January 2018

A lovely pub in a good location, food was good & reasonably priced. However, the accomodation is overpriced. Decor - tired.
Breakfast - chosen from the menu, waited c35 minutes on our 2nd day & twice we had to ask for another cup of coffee. Staff were friendly but didn't feel like we were treated as guests. More like 'walk ins' off the street.

Stayed: January 2018
Reviewed 28 November 2017

Over the last five years or more we have stayed at this Inn on several occasions when visiting family. Our previous stay wasn't the best but we weighed this up against not having to search for our evening meal and we both enjoy the atmosphere of the pub downstairs. Again we have just stayed for a night on our drive home but should we make this trip again we will look for another venue. Having booked our room on line we followed it with an email to the Star Inn requesting a table for dinner around 7 - 7:30 p.m. We never received a confirmation. A week later I phoned the inn only to be told "he doesn't bother checking his emails!". He, I took to be the owner/manager. We arrived early evening, were shown to our room (No.3) before heading out for a walk around Woodstock. Our initial impression of our room despite it being clean, was dated, dreary and a little shabby - the frayed curtains didn't help. The room was small with just a 4'6" bed and and the room had a lingering musty smell. The decoration was tired, there was only one dining chair to sit on, a bedside light didn't work, the bathroom ceiling needed painting and there was a brown seepage stain running down a wall above the wash hand basin. The water was hot and the towels were white and fluffy. Eating in the bar we both chose the fish pie which was hot but lacked fish. The sticky toffee pudding was not good. The atmosphere in the bar is good, it is frequented by locals, dogs are welcomed, the staff work as a team and appear to be on good terms with each other. Breakfast the next morning was as expected the positive was a latte not just a filter coffee. Since we started staying at this Inn several years ago there appears to have been no reinvestment to the bedrooms. Our room was only basically comfortable, the bed not so, we were relieved it was only for one night. When compared to 'book in advance' rates available for the many chain hotels the price we paid for our room with breakfast wasn't reasonable, and we have stayed at many pub/inn type venues (our preference) at the same cost which provide far higher standard of accommodation. Unfortunately the lack of investment to update the accommodation means we will not be staying at the Star Inn again.

Stayed: November 2017, travelled as a couple