“Hit and Miss”
Review of Pondicherry

Pondicherry
Ranked #6 of 30 Restaurants in Ironbridge
Cuisines: Indian
Good for: Child-friendly, Business meetings, Special Occasion Dining, Romantic, Groups
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed 7 August 2010

We ate at Pondicherry last night whilst staying in a close by B&B, having seen various recommendations. Interesting building was a plus, though there was an odd aroma, not of food - we think it was paint. Initially the service was very attentive - we were asked twice in the first 2 mins of sitting down whether we were ready to order our drinks. We had also soon ordered popadoms, starters and mains and the popadoms and dip selection arrived fairly promptly which we enjoyed - no sign of the feta and olives mentioned by previous reviewer! In due course these plates were taken away and 10mins later our MAIN courses arrived!! We pointed out that they'd missed our starter course so these were taken away again. Our starters arrived 2 mins later. This was a chicken dish and salmon kebab - both good quality meat, but not as flavoursome as the menu suggested. As soon as we had finished these the mains arrived (2nd time!). Both curries were very good for flavour and heat, with the chilli chicken particularly plentiful and excellent. However the king prawn dish at premium price of £15.95 contained just 4 king prawns - skimpy to say the least. Naan bread ok but prefer the puffy sort. Admidst this we requested a glass of tap water which did not arrive, and had to ask another waiter. The bill arrived when asked but then we couldn't get attention to actually pay it! So overall a very mixed experience and when speaking to our B&B owner afterwards, we gather the chef has recently left so he's been receiving mixed reports of late. A shame.

1  Thank Roundy

Reviewed 31 July 2010

First things first, the actual curries we had were very nice....brilliant balance of spices and deeply flavoured. The place is indeed different, we ate upstairs ....nice, but it somehow lacked something which I couldn't quite put my finger on. Right.... on with the niggles. Ordered drinks... in addition to a bottle of red wine, we ordered a couple of quite expensive, what turned out to be, small bottles of cobra. These duly arrived ...the wine at (quite warm) room temperature ....OK, I can live with that ....but not the cobra !!!! No way .... I'm not a member of the lager police or anything but that must be bordering on illegal ...and in an old police station as well ....criminal !!!! We mentioned it to the waiter, an eastern european I believe, who apologised and told us the fridge was broken. would we like him to get cold replacements from another fridge ?,Duh yes please we responded ... the replacements never arrived. Didn't exactly get the evening off to a great start.... Worst thing was it was my 50th birthday meal !!!The next niggle, and I admit this may be a personal one, was that on the plate alongside the curry and rice was a salad...cucumber, leaves, chunks of melon ? etc etc. I would have liked to have been informed that this was the case and given an option. Or had it presented on a side plate perhaps. I'm sure lots of people would love this and it may be totally authentic to the cuisine of the chef, but nobody in our party even bothered to touch it ...quite frankly pointless. The nan was average (had better), the pappadoms,chapatis and rice, all par for the course..... and the dips/chutneys were quite frankly a bit strange ...olives + feta .... plus a beetroot thingie ...weird ?? We opted against desserts and mentioned to the lady who took the bill about the lager incident ....she was very apologetic and professional....full marks to her. All in all not brilliant but try it for yourselves, maybe I'm a bit old school....

1  Thank clark7Shropshire
Reviewed 23 June 2010

This was by far the best ever Indian meal we have ever eaten, the meat was of excellent quality and the flavours were to die for, presentation was of very high quality and very large portions too. The restaurant had a lovely atmosphere and we actually ate in the old Magistrate courts but with a contemporary feel. The staff were very pleasant indeed and we shall certainly be going back there for some more excellent food. Compliments to the chef.

Reviewed 7 June 2010

I love this restaurant, the food is glorious, the atmosphere lovely and the staff delightful. It is not the cheapest restaurant in the area but you really do get value for money in terms of quality of ingredients used and the level of service provided. Have a look on their website and book ahead as this place is deservedly popular!

Reviewed 14 May 2010

I was treated to an early evening meal with my family in this former Police House in beautiful Ironbridge. My son. not a fan of spacy food, was guided wonderfully by the attentive and knowledgable waiter and really enjoted his meal. The food is first class and I am so pleased that we have the opportunity to visit such a wonderful and cared for restaurant such as this. We left with very full tums. Can't wait for my next visit.