“Lovely spot to warm up! ”
Review of The Green Cafe

The Green Cafe
Ranked #3 of 92 Restaurants in Ludlow
Price range: US$7 - US$28
Cuisines: British, Cafe
Good for: Child-friendly, Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Delivery, Reservations
Description: Daytime, modern British café, interesting lunches, cakes and hot drinks, everything made on site apart from bread and jam.
Reviewed 17 March 2018 via mobile

Popped down to The Green Cafe while out in Ludlow, first time since its had a change of management. It was busy, but the staff quickly attended to us and found us a table. Children had a hot choc and I enjoyed a latte. Lovely setting by the river.

1  Thank Rachel R

Reviewed 16 March 2018 via mobile

Outside, overlooking river and weir, were colourful tables, ideal for magical summer feasting, and if we'd wanted to be en plein air, there were blankets provided. But on a shivering March day? .....
Inside it was warm, and the welcome too was genuinely warm and friendly, the waitresses smart, unfussy, and very helpful. There was seating for 28, and it was quite busy, and though the space wasn't huge, it didn't feel cramped. There were clean pine-topped tables for two, easily slotted together for bigger groups. The decor was simple, clean, and homely, the atmosphere relaxed, the clientele mixed age and leisured.
We were immediately offered a carafe of drinking water with the menus. We were not hurried into making choices, but once we had ordered we didn't have long to wait for our meals to arrive.
We ignored the "small plates" menu as being too small for hungry people, though some of the items looked interesting.
Our choice was from the 8 dishes offered on "Proper Lunch " section. The restaurant prides itself on locally-sourced food, and this, together with the home-made delicacies (I had delicious mayonnaise with my main, and out-of-this-world lemon curd with my sweet) helps to make the experience here memorable.
So it was the steak sandwich for me, and it was good: strips of lightly cooked steak in salsa verde, tomato, fresh small-leaf brightly coloured salad leaves surrounded by focaccia...oh, yes, very good, and beautifully presented on the plate. My daughter chose the celeriac soup with ginger, chilli, coriander accompanied by a slice of sourdough bread. Her judgement was that the soup had a nice tasty spicy bite to it without leaving the mouth in flames! She required another slice of bread which cost another £1.O0...a bit steep.
Nevertheless the sweets and coffees were excellent value, - a decent-sized brownie (great texture and flavour) for £2.50, and a home-made scone, cream, and that ecstatic lemon curd for £3.00. We lingered, replete and relaxed over a coffee and an Earl Grey. Overall such a lovely experience making a cold day glow.

They've just begun to serve breakfasts here. I can't wait to sample one of those.

By the way, the loos were very much up to the mark, clean and quite spacious.

Reviewed 13 March 2018

This was our first visit since the cafe has been run by The Csons.It will not be our last.
My husband had a full english style breakfast and I had the veggie one. I can honestly say the vegetarian breakfast was probably the best I have ever eaten anywhere and my husband who is "discerning" ( not fussy!) loved his too. Generous portions, beautifully cooked, lovely fresh, local ingredients and ridiculously good value for money. All in the beautiful surroundings of the old mill on the banks of the river. Go.

Reviewed 9 March 2018 via mobile

Well I say brunch but turned into a lovely lunch. After a well explained description of the local beers we made a good choice and then I had the burger. It was cooked to perfection (hate overcooked burgers) and was served with garlic flavoured roasted new potatoes. Had to roll out of the place!

Reviewed 8 March 2018 via mobile

We spend a good couple of hours, watching people fill up every table as soon as they became available.
Always great to see lots of locally sourced foods and drinks.
Really tasty baby roast potatoes with half a head of roasted garlic... Beautifully sweet! The black pudding had an unusual but pleasant flavor.
The steak sandwich was fantastic!! The seasoning was spot on, the salad leaves were thoroughly dressed, not just drizzled on the top, and the steak itself was cooked rare, to perfection.
The only downside was that the bread was a little oily (on the outside) so I couldn't actually eat it as a sandwich. It was far too slippy to hold and I got covered in oil... So I just used my cutlery
Very friendly, helpful, knowledge staff
10/10!!