“Very good food; unusual flavors”
Review of The Chequers

The Chequers
Reserve with OpenTable
The Chequers is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #62 of 628 Restaurants in Bath
Price range: US$14 - US$30
Cuisines: British, Pub, Gastropub
Good for: Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: After-hours, Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Delivery, Private Dining, Reservations
Description: A landmark dining destination in the historic town of Bath, The Chequers is a beautifully restored gastropub on Rivers Street that has been serving customers since 1776. Offering a slice of local living to visitors from out of town, The Chequers is an elegant escape from the city’s bustling boutiques and is only a short walk from the Circus and the Royal Crescent. Serving a menu of home cooked, local & seasonal food alongside a premium selection of wines, local ciders and real ales, this is a fantastic place to spend an evening over a bottle or two with friends and family. On the menu you’ll find gastropub fare unrivalled in Bath with old pub favourites including their award winning Sunday lunch given a classy makeover. The Chequers restaurant also caters for business meetings and private parties.
Reviewed 24 June 2018

I was here with a large party of 12. We were given a pre-arranged, condensed menu although it was all wonderful!

I started with the salmon appetizer with caviar. It was divine! My main course was gnocchi. It was not the gnocchi that I typically think of but it was delicious. I don't remember exactly what else was in the dish, but I do remember that I had never heard of it before yet it was so yummy!

Dessert was a chocolate mousse with toasted coconut. It was also amazing. Nothing I had was bad. In fact, it was my best meal in Bath!

Susannah R, Supervisor at The Chequers, responded to this reviewResponded 30 June 2018

Wow what a glowing review, thank you! So glad to hear you enjoyed your visit and that you discovered some new flavours! We hope to welcome you back soon!

Write a ReviewReviews (1,176)

Reviewed 22 June 2018 via mobile

My husband booked here for our 4th wedding anniversary as they did a tasting menu with a wine flight that we were excited to experience. Had a lovely glass of prosecco as we arrived early from a very courteous and welcoming gentleman behind the bar. We sat down and a waitress came over, I said we would have the tasting menu with wine flight, she rather rudely told us we had to prebook it. On the website it doesn’t state this just states to book, which you would think was to book a table as the tasting was available Monday - Friday, rather disappointed we asked for a few more minutes. Nothing really stood out to me on the menu that’s why we wanted the tasting menu, not willing to spend £23+ for a main I wasn’t enthused about we told the waitress, sorry but we will leave. She again became rude and defensive and just stated the tasting menu is what’s on the menu. 1) that’s not the point. I would like to experience a tasting menu and a wine flight 2) if it’s just the menu then why can’t the chefs prepare it? If she was more kindly and understanding in helping me pick starter, main and wine we would of stayed but she was just so awfully rude. Not what we wanted for our wedding anniversary! We walked down to firehouse rotisserie where the manager not only was amazing and polite, but found us a seat even though we’d obviously not booked, accommodated us wanted to change parts of their set menu and the food was incredible. So please chequers, learn from their example and actually accommodate you’re customers and make your website clearer. I’ve eaten here 3 times with work and wanted to experience it as a couple but we will not be back.

3  Thank jessybell88
Reviewed 19 June 2018 via mobile

The restaurant is recommended by hotel staff. It only takes three mins to walk from hotel to here.

The environment, service and food all great and so happy to have lunch with friends here.

Thank you for your lovely review, so glad to hear you enjoyed your visit!

Reviewed 13 June 2018

Went for a quick drink and found the staff amazing so booked in for dinner the next night. The roast dinners that were being served looked gorgeous. It's a lovely quaint pub with rustic wooden tables, wooden floor and a lovely bar.

The food was absolutely gorgeous. We had previously gone to the Olive Tree for their tasting menu and after eating here were wishing we had come to the Chequers to check out their tasting menu instead, and it's cheaper! Lovely sized portions, beautiful presentation and so much flavour. My only criticism of the food was the scallop starter was expensive considering you only get 1 scallop, and I'm used to London prices.

We were sat in the weird corner bit which isn't as nice as the rest of the pub, I think it should be changed to match the rest of the place.

Chequers is a 2 star AA rosette pub but for some reason when you search AA rosette places in Bath it doesn't come up. They need to sort out their website so it comes up on a search.

Reviewed 11 June 2018

This is the perfect venue for Sunday lunch - really superb roasts, when they say pink beef they actually mean pink and tender which is just so rare for Sunday roasts! The sides were fabulous as well, the shared Sunday roast for 2 which included the shepherds pie was a feast. Coupled with very friendly service this meal made for a wonderful Sunday lunch. We will definitely be back!

Susannah R, Manager at The Chequers, responded to this reviewResponded 11 June 2018

So happy to hear this! Thank you! We believe that this is how you'd like to spend a Sunday afternoon, here at The Chequers with beautifully cooked roast and pleasant atmosphere...
Looking forward seeing you again!