“Great food, great jazz.”
Review of Gascoyne Place

Gascoyne Place
Ranked #132 of 592 Restaurants in Bath
Price range: US$13 - US$54
Cuisines: British
Good for: Local cuisine, Romantic, Bar Scene, Groups
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, After-hours, Reservations
Description: Situated across from the Theatre Royal in Sawclose, Gascoyne Place has been serving up the best in modern British food for more than a decade, welcoming everyone from pre-theatre diners and ladies who lunch to late-night drinkers. They boast one of the finest wine lists in the South West as well as local ales, ciders and specialist beers. The restaurant comprises of five distinct dining areas arranged over three floors, and offers lunch, dinner, Sunday lunch and pre-theatre menus based on seasonal, locally sourced produce. Drinkers are also well catered for - the beer selection includes a range of craft ales from Arbor, Wiper & True and Plain Ales, and there's an extensive cocktail list. All rooms are available for private hire and Gascoyne Place is a popular choice for functions ranging from business lunches and birthday dinners to weddings. On Sunday nights the downstairs lounge reverberates with the sound of live jazz, with regular slots given to popular local acts - booking is strongly recommended if you'd like to dine to the music.
Reviewed 10 December 2015

We took a chance on this place as it was close to our hotel and we fancied the Sunday night jazz.
The staff were very friendly upon our arrival, seated us promptly and got us sorted with drinks very quickly- the choices of alcoholic and soft drinks are both great, with incredible choice on offer.
We only went for main courses, haunch of venison, but it was truly incredible, the venison was cooked perfectly and the accompaniments of black pudding croquets, pickled black berries, butternut squash purée and kale went perfectly with it, it was truly excellent.
To enjoy the jazz we opted for drinks rather than dessert, and they make brilliant drinks as well and food at Gascoyne Place, I had the best Margaritas of my life, and would come back purely for those, never mind the rest.
The waiting staff were occasionally a bit tricky to get a hold of, but we were having such a nice time we didn't mind hanging about, but I can imagine others finding this annoying.
The billed seemed very reasonable for the quality of food and service, and I would certainly come back and recommend others do so too.

Reviewed 8 December 2015

We arrived at a relatively quiet time and had excellent and attentive service. It was a bit unusual to have the drinks menu on a clip board (I felt like I was doing a health inspection of the place) but the wine recomended was nice. Although not an extensive menu the choice was reasonable and the quality good (the venison was very good). Unfortunately, as the palce got busier we saw the level of service deminish and did not end up going for a desert as we got fed up waiting. So, this would have been a 4 star review if the intially attentive service had been maintained. That said, I am a harsh marker and feel there is a need to differentiate between good, very good and excellent.

Reviewed 7 December 2015 via mobile

As we were worried it would be difficult to find a place to eat on a Sunday when Christmas madness had hit Bath, took a punt on this place. Booking system on-line was quick and easy, great location and easy to find after a walk around the Christmas market.

All three of our party choose roast beef dinner, which was delicious (although could have been a little warmer). However, unfortunately the bottle of wine we ordered never appeared, and there was a distinct lack of waiting staff around (other than bringing in other dinners food), to even ask for it a second time. Not sure I'd go here again, but the food was tasty.

Reviewed 6 December 2015

We had a nice table for four, the staff were very attentive. We decided to go for the three course menu for £19.00 For Starter I went for the squid which was some of the best I have had. main course I ordered the steak which had a £2.50 supplement they told us that it came medium rare, but We felt it was more rare, but was very tasty. I then took the waiter's advice and went for the cheese board which again carried a £2.50 supplement . this was a little disappointing in that three peice of cheese which were no bigger than a dairlea slice 5 wafer crackers ( the size and thickness of a pringle) a small pot of onion chutney which was very tasty and a few grapes it was all very tasty ,but I must say for the money I would have liked a little more cheese and a few more crackers. Others who were with me agreed that the food was very good as was the service but that the cheese board was a little on the small side. Would I go back definitely

Reviewed 6 December 2015

We saw all the reviews and thought we'd give Gascoyne Place a punt. Service in the bar was good, great election of wines and barman was interested enough to notice that the champagne served was not a particularly fresh bottle from the look for what was in the glass and whipped open a new one for us. We ate downstairs and it as busy but not full. Not sure where the pictures come from on Tripadvisor but the food we ate and saw on other tables was much more pubby type fayre than the more restaurant'y presentation in the pics. My burger was a cut above the usual and well made. Food was great quality overall and we enjoyed it. Unfortunately, the staff seemed in a bit of disarray and it took ages to bring our wine, but don't let that put you off going as location is great and the food was good quality. Would go back when the live music is on definitely.