13 people are viewing this hotel
Lock in the lowest price from these sites
PricelineUS$243
Expedia.comUS$244
Hotels.comUS$244
Trip.comUS$271
TravelocityUS$244
getaroom.comUS$351
5,793 results
All reviews imperial suite outdoor pool bath spa lovely hotel parking charge cooked breakfast per day special occasion afternoon tea birthday treat relaxing stay city centre lovely room full english concierge slippers
Selected filters
Reviewed 28 October 2021 via mobile

Love this hotel, think its my favourite all time! All the staff are lovley. Especially the bar staff, they make fantastic cocktails and know their stuff! The rooms were clean and big. The mattress was the best we ever slept on, i don't normally sleep so well when away or home but no issue here. Views are beautiful and location perfect.

Trip type: Travelled as a couple
1  Thank C4100MVvictoriab
Raj Chakraborty, General Manager at Macdonald Bath Spa Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 5 November 2021

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your feedback. I have shared your lovely feedback with the team and they cant wait to welcome you back again in our beautiful hotel.

Reviewed 28 October 2021

My friend and I stayed in this hotel for two nights bed and breakfast and we could not fault it. The reception staff and waitresses should be commended for their helpful and friendly manner. It was our first visit to bath and the receptionist as we checked in was really helpful in explaining the best places to go.
The food was excellent and we also had dinner in the hotel one of the nights. The indoor and outdoor pools were very relaxing, we Would definitely recommend this hotel.

1  Thank Jacqueline B

Reviewed 26 October 2021

Room type: Presidential Suite/Grange Suite
Nights: 3

This is a truly excellent hotel, and I will outline below the different parts with recommendations, however I have nothing to really complain about.

Bedroom
The Presidential suite is truly magnificent and very well kept. There is plenty of space to unwind in either bedroom, living room or bathroom. The furniture has an old Georgian/Edwardian feel to it and kept in good condition. The bubbles bucket on arrival is a nice touch and there is a mini fridge with Peroni, Coca Cola, Diet Coke, Sprite and Water. The views from both living room and bedroom are good and you can see Bath, however there is a big tree in the way with direct forward view, but tree probably been there longer than the hotel. The TV in the living room doubles as a mirror and this is the first time, I have seen this in a hotel. Bathroom also has a TV and lovely to just chill and relax in. You could in theory happily live in this room.

I have a few recommendations though, first being the mini bar was not fully restocked after the first day except with water. I think given the rate refilling daily would be nice. The second is I was trying to work one morning in the room and discovered the wi-fi didn’t extend to the writing desk in the living room so had to work from the bedroom one. Maybe an wi-fi extender in that part of the hotel would be good. Also, if the smart TV could have internet access to connect Netflix/Amazon etc would be nice. Lastly, but suppose it health and safety, it would be nice if you could open the bedroom balcony doors and sit on the balcony with that great view.

Restaurant
We ate in the hotel two nights and had breakfast three mornings, excellent. Staff very friendly and the manager of the restaurant is very passionate about his ‘kingdom’ which was nice to see. He told us they were having a refurbishment soon, but I don’t think they need it. Food was very nice, and I would recommend starters the Scallops and Duck dishes, mains the Lamb. Desert we had the Lemon tart one night which was nice but wish I could have tried more.

Recommendations would be nice to have 1-2 more starter and main dishes, and I was surprised the steak was sirloin and not fillet or Ribeye for a 5*. Breakfast is very nice however continental I found myself wishing I could have some ham or cheese (probably European thing) but would be nice addition.

Bar
All I can say is the Head Bar Manager (George) is a great laugh and knows his cocktails. I had a few to many Bloody Marys as we tried a spice challenge. The whole team in there are friendly and it is a lovely place to just sit and relax. I would recommend customers bring a board game as you could unwind all day.

Recommendations, maybe a larger cocktail list but can’t really think of anything else.

Spa
Excellent, needs a few new titles in pool here and there but such a great place. The outdoor hot pool you could spend the whole day in. Team in there also very helpful and friendly.

Recommendation, maybe have a closer bar but I worry it may increase noise level.

Staff
I must praise them all as so friendly and helpful, but I would like to make special mention of Howard who helped me get the same room for a third unplanned night. He was so helpful I felt the urge to get him a bottle of wine as top service. Sometimes you go to hotels and there is always one/two staff you find let down while the rest is on form…this hotel is all on form. I have no recommendations in this area except to say keep up the great work.

Overall, I want to return to this hotel ASAP, and would want the same room. This time bring my two kids along and just relax taking in the amenities and great atmosphere. If the MacDonald Head office read this review, you are doing excellent with this hotel and have put together something special. Please however open up your membership Fans of MacDonald Hotels again, I have stayed in two of your hotels now in two weeks.

Room tip: Presidential Suite

Reviewed 24 October 2021 via mobile

Just returned from a weekend stay here and I have to say the staff are incredible!

The location is perfect and a quick 10 minute walk into town so ideal for sightseeing. We were in the imperial suites and the original room was incredibly dated and not very clean - we asked to speak to the manager and a senior person was sent. Megan came to look at the room and handled the situation perfectly! She’s was polite, apologetic and quick to change our room … faultless! The second room was much nicer and had obviously been updated.

The spa facilities were okay but felt a bit dirty and in need of attention so we only used them briefly… wasn’t the reason for our stay so no drama there but if it’s a spa stay you want there are much better places.

The breakfast, bar meal and restaurant meals were all absolutely delicious! My only comment is the menu online doesn’t match the menu you get in the restaurant.

What I do want to add is the staff at this hotel are absolutely faultless!! Every single person was friendly, polite and nothing to much trouble. Megan you were great and we thank
You for your efficiency. The restaurant staff super attentative, the young man who took our bags was very jolly. However…. A huge shout out goes to the two guys who ran the bar :-) you both were awesome and a real credit to the hotel - the banter made the stay!

Room tip: Good carpark, close to town, quiet, spa average, food good, staff awesome
Trip type: Travelled as a couple

Reviewed 24 October 2021

We stayed 14th-16th August, unfortunately there were more negatives than positives,
The room was very dated with stained carpet, After a very busy day of sightseeing we thought we would spend the evening in the hotel bar and have a light meal.
Unbelievably the menu consisted of soup salad or a sandwich, Ok we will have a drink and walk into town,but getting a drink was a long wait of chasing one waiter after another, over 40 minutes we waited, wouldn’t mind but it wasn’t like they were run off there feet busy. The first waiter had actually forgotten our drinks.
Breakfast was just as bad I think it had been forgotten and left under the warmer on day 1, The next day was a long wait but it was ok. I personally don’t blame the waiters and waitresses I blame management for bad training,most of them just didn’t have a clue what they were doing.
The spa needs attention broken tiles in the outside therapy pool,Unsightly and could be harmful. These niggles should have been sorted during the closing due to covid.
The staff in the spa were very polite and helpful, and so were the cleaning staff. The hotel itself is lovely, old but beautiful, the grounds are stunning, Bath is a lovely place to visit, which I would definitely do, but would I stay here, sorry no, it’s not 5 star they need to up there quality first, they should not charge full price for rooms that have not been upgraded.

Date of stay: August 2021

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review. I am glad to see that you have enjoyed our spa and the grounds but sad to read about food and beverage offerings that did not leaved up to your expectation. I have shared your comments with our executive chef and changes has been made since then. Hope we can welcome you back again soon.