“Cinema Like No Other”

Little Theatre Cinema
Ranked #2 of 14 Fun & Games in Bath
More attraction details
Owner description: The Little Theatre Cinema was built by community theatre pioneer Consuelo de Reyes and her husband in 1935. It initially functioned as a news theatre open from midday and showing hourly programmes of documentaries and newsreels. Feature films were first shown in 1939, the first two being "Peg of Old Drury" starring Anna Neagle followed by "Oh Mr Porter" starring Will Hay. The cinema thrived on local support throughout the years as other Bath cinema venues closed and in 1979 the former scenery store and lounge area were converted into a second screen. In spite of many refurbishments to keep the cinema up-to-date with digital sound and the latest projection technology, and a renewal of the seats to give the very best comfort levels, The Little Theatre has retained the charm and welcoming warmth of a 1930's cinema, including a luxury balcony with sofas in the main auditorium.
Reviewed 29 April 2017

Living in Bath through the week I go at least and often three times a week. They show the best arts films around and tend to avoid most mainstream things.

Great building and nice staff who love film. If you are in Bath and like a good film, make sure that you drop in.

Thank you Little Cinema and team for being there

Reviewed 24 March 2017

I try to support local where and when I can. The Little is the only independent cinema left in Bath and for this reason deserves support. It hosts a good range of movies, independent film, documentary and classics (classic disneys on a Sunday, that sort of thing). The seating however is all at one level so be aware that if you are short or with children you may struggle to see. I was disappointed on my last visit as the cinema really seemed to packed with rude and obnoxious upper middle class stuffy people (quite amusing as this place was once known as 'the flea pit' and unlikely to have been frequented by the majority of these clientele back then!). I know that this is something that the cinema cannot help but I was quite disgusted by the rudeness of the people in the ticket line, in the food line and in the actual cinema. Unfortunately this leads to my three star rating as i am unlikely to return. Such a shame as they show some good films. Also worth pre booking-i wasn't aware that they did this and that you couldn't choose your own seat unless you pre booked, which meant myself and my friend were separated for the performance. There is an option to book the sofa booths which is nice.

Little Theatre C, Marketing Manager at Little Theatre Cinema, responded to this reviewResponded 25 March 2017

Hello there,
Thank you so much for your feedback of The Little. As you may know, we are an 80year old building and so although we try to tier the seating as much as we can, there's only so much we can do, especially being such a small building (and listed). We do offer booster seats for those who need extra height. We also have wheelchair access in Screen 1 too.
We can only apologise that you experienced rudeness by our customers, but glad you were not a victim of it from our staff, who pride themselves on great customer service. Could you possible e-mail us at little@picturehouses.co.uk so we can ascertain which screening you were at?
We have always been an unallocated cinema apart from Saturday's and Screen Arts events - this information is availble on our website when booking.
I am sure the owners of the cinema (still the same family for the last 80 years) would love to know your stories regarding the cinema's 'flea pit' days. We currently have a cinema historian writing a book about the history of The Little and if you have anything to contribute, we would love to hear about it! We've personally never heard of the cinema being referred to as a 'flea pit' under it's current decade or so management but it's certainly made us chuckle. We welcome customers from all walks of life to our cinema but remain at the heart of the Bath community, as always. Did you know that our sofa's are actually on our Haile Selassie balcony? This was restored a few years back by the generous folk of Bath - it was where the Emperor himself used to sit to watch newsreels of Ethiopia when he was in exile in Bath. Perhaps these 'flea pit days' occurred between the use of an Emperor and now?
Thanks again for the review - we do hope you return one day and have a happier experience. We're hoping to make it to 100 so we'll be here for you when you're ready to return.
All the best,
Grace Williams - Marketing Manager

Reviewed 13 February 2017 via mobile

Haven't been to a cinema like this in years. Lovely place very comfy seats (better than modern cinemas) and a decent size screen! Film choice obviously reduced given size of the venue but good for a different cinematic experience! Nice day out good bar/snacks

Reviewed 12 February 2017 via mobile

What a pleasant surprise, a little gem tucked away. We were staying around the corner at The Gainsborough and came upon this. It was the perfect way to spend a winter night since most things seem to close early in Bath (maybe because it's winter). Purchased tickets online, very convenient. I got the feeling shows fill up and sell out so it's wise to think ahead. Step stairs, our show was 2 floors up, not sure if there is a lift. Seats large and comfortable and not a bad seat in the house. Concession stand on the first floor with a nice assortment. I was happy to spend a night there.

Reviewed 9 February 2017 via mobile

The last few times I've been here with a friend but I have also gone on many occasions solo. I love the feel of the place, the personal touches and the way the staff value you. Not like other big chain cinemas. Film selection is always good and you can't beat the sofas on the balcony!