“Lovely food, but slow service and outrageously expensive.”
Review of Hudson Steakhouse

Hudson Steakhouse
Ranked #43 of 648 Restaurants in Bath
Price range: US$25 - US$64
Cuisines: Steakhouse, Bar
Good for: Business meetings, Special Occasion Dining, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, After-hours, Reservations
Description: Award winning Steakhouse, glowing warm interior. Stylish and relaxed. Carefully selected and aged prime steaks. Welcoming pre dinner cocktail bar. Friendly service. Popular with locals and visitors, seafood and classic dishes available. Early evening special flat iron steak,Frits and wine. Reservation advised.. Highly recommended.
Reviewed 3 weeks ago

Went here for the third time with the in-laws. I tried to order a smaller and cheaper steak to keep costs down (I've been here before and knew it wasn't cheap), but it's not easy. My food was very good, but medium-rare should be a little pinker in my opinion. Staff seem to enjoy looking at their phones instead of taking care of the customers. When I saw the bill I was shocked and felt guilty and awful all night because it costed so much.

They have great steaks, but I am not going here again, too expensive and inattentive staff. Prices for the side dishes are stupendous. £200+ for 4 people is ridiculous.

Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

Visited Hudson last night as a couple. On arrival, warm greeting and led to a table on the first floor.
Room atmospheric and romantic. Lovely and attentive service.
The food was amazing... buffalo mozzarella salad and focaccia to start was great. Steak and sides were phenomenal.
Would definitely visit again and recommend to others.

Richard F, Owner at Hudson Steakhouse, responded to this reviewResponded 3 weeks ago

Hi Food journal
Thank you for your lovely review. Our team works very hard to make Hudson
special. And it’s nice to see that you enjoyed your visit. We hope to see you soon.
Regards
Richard and the Hudson team

Reviewed 4 November 2018 via mobile

Visiting Bath for the weekend, went here on recommendation and overall wasn’t disappointed.

A varied and honest mixed review of all our meals, but response by staff I thought was excellent!

All starters were exceptional, both in taste and portion size. Regarding the main courses my sirloin was the best steak I have ever had, it was honestly that good and the fillet medallions were excellent.

However the others in the party weren’t so lucky. Rump steak had to be sent back as very poor cut of meat and sweet corn fritters were extremely heavy.

But I have to say staff handled the complaints about the rump very professionally and apologised, replacing the steak and sides without fuss.

Also gave us free dessert which was a nice touch.

Overall lovely meal, atmosphere and service, would recommend.

Reviewed 2 November 2018 via mobile

We visited Hudson’s steakhouse last night after a recommendation and we were thoroughly disappointed. After ordering a medium well done fillet steak it arrived rare, this would not have been a problem as I would’ve been happy for it to be sent back to be cooked slightly more however the way it was dealt with was appalling. No one came to check if everything was ok with our food ( after ordering two £30 steaks I would expect them to care if we were happy with the food!) so after trying to get someone’s attention for a good while I finally managed to call over a waiter to explain the steak had been cooked very rare when it had been ordered medium well and therefore could it be cooked a little bit more! The response was a look of disgust from the waiter who picked up the plate and said “ok” and walked off!!! No apology or don’t worry we will rectify it! I was then left for 15 minutes whilst my partner ate his steak alone and our side orders all went cold! When my steak returned it was still not medium well it was utterly cremated! Again no apology for the steak or the wait for the meal or the fact that my partner and I now ate separately! After this we received absolutely no service at all! We had no drinks yet no one came over to take an order! Even when we had finished eating we waited so long for anyone to come and clear our plates that eventually again we called a waiter over and asked for the bill. At this point our night had been so spoiled that we just wanted to leave! At so many points during the evening both the waiter and waitress had looked over at our table but just totally ignored us! When we paid, the waiter said “ all ok ???” To which we explained no not really and that we felt the service had been poor- we were left with a look and no response then a murmur of “ sorry !” As we left the man gave us a two for one steak voucher which we felt was for the benefit of the other diners around us who had seen us complain. We explained that we didn’t live in the area so wouldn’t be able to use it! Which was a good job as when we left the restaurant and looked closely it was no such thing .... it was one free glass of complimentary house wine !!!! The evening was an utter disgrace and we wouldn’t return! Poor service seems a theme on many of these reviews on trip advisor and I certainly wouldn’t return to such poor service - particularly when they can’t even cook a steak to the customers liking !!! I have had steaks in many restaurants around the world which were just as good or better which come with decent service that you expect in a restaurant rather than rude ignorant staff.

Richard F, Owner at Hudson Steakhouse, responded to this reviewResponded 3 November 2018

Dear Luan.
I am so sorry you had such a bad experience.
I am looking into it. It’s obvious something went very wrong.

If you could get in touch with me we can sort out
A refund.

richard@richardfenton.net

Reviewed 29 October 2018

Hudson is without a doubt Bath's best steakhouse. I've been there several times with work and personally, and it has never failed to deliver on food quality. The service can sometimes be a little lacking, but if great steak and good ambience is your main driver, then absolutely head over to check them out. Will absolutely return!