“Amazing food, lovely staff, yummy vegan options!”

Lao Thai Restaurant
Ranked #6 of 44 Restaurants in Cheddar
Price range: US$14 - US$34
Cuisines: Thai
Dining options: After-hours, Delivery, Reservations
Description: Notice: Unfortunately due to maintenance work, LaoThai Restaurant is closed from 04/01/2018 for a period of time, TakeAway and Delivery may still be available so please call to check, we apologies for any inconvenience and hope to welcome you in a near future :) -LaoThai team Probably the only Lao restaurant in Britain offering tasty and fresh Lao cooking and Thai cuisine.The dishes are all authentic Lao and Issan, northern Thai, and offer a mixtures of tastes, textures, spices and colours. These include some of the most popular Lao and Thai dishes with some favourites of those who've travelled around the Far East. The dishes are homemade and individually cooked to order to reflect the customer's preferences. This does take time but ensures great tastes and therefore is appropriate for those not in a rush - Lao speed. Text reservations to mobile number on website.Up to date opening hours are on the website.
Reviewed 5 May 2017

I was staying in Cheddar for two nights, and after a short afternoon wander on my first day I realised there really weren't many places that were going to be able to cater for me as a vegan. I did notice a Thai restaurant so I grabbed a leaflet for later, and after chatting with my bnb host I mentioned the Thai and she said it was amazing, and that she wouldn't recommend anywhere but this place - so of course I gave it a go!

And I absolutely was not disappointed! It was amazing. The food was beautiful, they had more vegan options than I've seen at a non-vegan restaurant, they even had tofu versions of popular starters like crispy prawns and chicken satay. The options weren't specified as vegan on the menu, but I had only to ask the servers who confirmed the dishes with me and even wrote down on my order 'no eggs, no dairy, vegan' so that it went straight to the chef.

I had a soup called Tom Ka to start, which was absolutely delicious, I've never tasted anything quite like it. I then had vegetable thai green curry and sticky rice, which was also delicious, and incredibly filling! After letting my food settle, one of the servers came over and said that he would have liked to offer me the dessert menu but didn't think there was anything suitable for vegans on it, and he apologised, which I thought was really very nice of him, he didn't even have to mention it.

The food was so good that I didn't bother trying to find somewhere different for my second night, I just came back here! This time I had the vegetarian tofu 'chicken' satay to start, and vegetable thai red curry with steamed jasmine rice. All absolutely delicious yet again.

Furthermore, I've mentioned the servers but haven't yet mentioned how good they were! One in particular was very friendly and helpful, made me feel comfortable and welcome even though I was eating alone in a restaurant, and he was very understanding and helpful about my dietary requirements. He went above and beyond to provide good service, as mentioned helping to advise me on food choices and apologising about desserts, but offering me a coffee instead, and thanking me sincerely for eating here both nights. I wish I'd gotten his name to pop on this review so that the owners of the restaurant could commend him for such wonderful service. (If it helps, he was a vegetarian with dark hair who was working on the evenings of May 3rd and 4th!)

All in all, I absolutely highly recommend this place - particularly for visiting vegans struggling to find somewhere to eat!

1  Thank Sam D

Reviewed 19 April 2017

Went for a family meal over the Easter bank holiday. Staff were so friendly and the restaurant is just the right size too. Great range of traditional Thai and authentic Lao food. My son had never had Thai before and the staff were so helpful and he loved it. Even got a free chocolate muffin for easter

Reviewed 9 April 2017

Stayed in a holiday home in Cheddar, thought we'd give this place a try, as we'd not had a great meal previously. So glad we did. They are happy to veganise the dishes on the menu, to suit. Our food was delicious once we'd arrived home to eat. The food was still hot and there was enough of it to not be stuffing your face until full. Have to be honest, it's not cheap to eat here, but it's definitely worth the money, as the food really is delicious. It was ready from ordering in 20 mins.

1  Thank RescuedVegan
Reviewed 27 March 2017 via mobile

Me and my boyfriend came here for valentines. We booked for 5pm and were the only people in the restaurant as all other bookings were for later.

We had the most incredible meal and the staff were very helpful! We were given complimentary bubbly and sweets. Once we had ordered we were given complimentary prawn crackers. A waiter then brought me some cashews instead because I am vegan - a very thoughtful touch which no other restaurant has ever done for me.

I was pleased to see vegan options clearly labelled. We both devoured our food. I had the most delicous Tom Kha soup - I could eat it every day. My boyfriend had a type of fishcake thing and he said it was one of the best things he had ever eaten!

We had 2 courses each and a drink and the bill was about £35. We were really chuffed so we left a big tip for them - a lot considering I don't normally tip!

We cannot wait to come back again when we are down at Cheddar!!

1  Thank KarraRothery
Reviewed 16 March 2017

They have made some good changes to this great little restaurant. First, they have removed the tablecloths, so you can now see the beautifully carved wooden tables. Second, the serving bowls seem grander (I think the starters have got bigger!). Most importantly though, the food is still excellent.

Enjoyed a variety of starters and mains. The stand out dish was a whole sea bass in a delicious light sauce. Service is friendly. A pleasure to eat in.

1  Thank Leigh C