“Very good Chinese Buffet at a reasonable price”

513 Oriental Buffet
Ranked #116 of 221 Restaurants in Bury St Edmunds
Cuisines: Chinese
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 3 August 2017

1st time of trying and it was quite a nice surprise. Only £7.20 per adult (10% off food only for students & civil servants) all you can eat buffet, free tap water (if asked for) & a good wine/drinks list at reasonable prices.
Three metal buffet carts but only 2 in operation (possibly the 3rd is utilised in the evenings?) with trays 3 deep under hot, hot lights. Labels were messed up but who needs labels with a buffet (golden rule- try it all)

Lots of dishes to choose from - standard fare such as beef in black bean sauce, kung po chicken, etc, etc, with several purely British dishes, chips, onion rings, etc.
Taste of the Chinese food was quite authentic if just a little salty, but flavoursome, freshly prepared & very hot. Best dish - salt 'n' pepper fried prawns (shells, tails & legs on - delicious when you know how to open them)
Servers were attentive but not cloying, cleared used plates quite speedily & were professional & courteous
Note: Staff recommended that if visiting on a Saturday Lunch time, you book a table in advance.
Quite a wide choice of fresh fruit & desserts (small & large) and/or ice cream from a tub (self-scooped) or dispensed from a machine (super-soft Mr.Whippy style)

Toilets were clean & tidy & the decor quite good (we liked the Chinese style window inserts, but not the cobwebs on them) Tables & chairs were clean & neat but not special - needs a thorough clean/dust ideally

Only 3 gripes: small spoons for ice cream were all sticky/gooey and we needed to specifically ask for some replacements; we had to request some tissues/napkins as there were none on our table & we had to ask for chopsticks as none were out on the counters anywhere.

Other than that, a very nice buffet at a reasonable price, close to the Town Centre & we'll definitely return; and if the issues highlighted can be addressed, it'll earn a 5-star review

Reviewed 28 July 2017

Four of us visited and all left full and satisfied. There were some not so good reports so we wanted to see for our selves, and we were more than Happy. A great choice of well cooked food. Would return.

Reviewed 2 July 2017 via mobile

We have been going since the new owners have taken over and they've got to pull things back. I agree with the last to one star reviews.
First my wife had to change chairs has hers was damaged (as photo) then the tea pots were broken at the ends (as photo) service was slow and plates built up (as photo) our favourite prawn dish was in edible. Other dishes were over cooked too. The sweet selection is good, but, I would prefer good Chinese food (please!) We complained to two servers who didn't care, but on paying the lady behind the counter refunded our tea.. hence two stars and not one.
I don't know if we will bother going back anymore

Reviewed 16 June 2017 via mobile

Called in for a quick dinner today, And I have never been so disappointed in a place in all my life I used to love the buffet but since the change of hands it's turned s**t! Both my partner and I ate 1/2 a plate each if that. And that wasn't due to being fussy it was all burnt and dry, The food that was out was strange neither here nor there.. and chips onion rings and such were all so greasy and slimy I couldn't even eat them. This used to be the place to go but I really wouldn't advise a trip here it was rubbish and we both come away still hungry and disappointed. Such a shame the place has gone so down hill, the kitchen even shutting at 8! £30+ for food that can't be eaten:(

Reviewed 11 June 2017

i went there for sunday lunch with my son ,i used to go there before it changed hands,today the food was very bad the prawn were half the size of normal and just tasted of salt ,half the trays were empty ,and when they did top them up they were only quater full if that.everythng i tried was discusting ,i walked out with a nasty taste in my mouth ,yes only £7.20 but not worth nothing
NEVER AGAIN DONT GO THERE