“LUNCH IN THE LOUNGE - OH DEAR”
Review of The Angel Eaterie

The Angel Eaterie
Ranked #53 of 220 Restaurants in Bury St Edmunds
Price range: US$47 - US$81
Good for: Romantic, Child-friendly, Business meetings, Special Occasion Dining, Local cuisine
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner, After-hours, Delivery, Reservations
Description: The Angel Eaterie has many admirers and is a popular destination for Suffolk locals. The art filled dining room providing a gallery for the creative talents of the kitchen. The dishes are modern and predominantly British but, the Head Chef continually surprises with a curious twist of something deliciously different. Fresh local produce is sourced from surrounding market gardeners and pheasant, venison or fish will always depend on what's available for the menu that day. The breads baked in house are testament to the care taken to achieve that special taste; dip into the olive oil then take your pick of the 30 varieties of quality wines all served by the glass and wait for further temptations. The Angel Eaterie is open all day for food & drink.
Reviewed 30 March 2018

The lounge used to be a decent place for a light lunch. Oh Dear - how things have changed. If you're ready, I'll begin..... Having taken a table we waited for menus. Passing staff paid no attention. After about 10 mins. a nearby table let me take theirs, as they had ordered. (Incidentally, the table next to us asked 3 times for menus, got fed up with waiting, and left.) Ages after we were ready & we still seemed invisible to passing staff, I decided to go to the bar to place our order. I had to walk through a group of 3 members of staff who were chatting, to get to it. No-one there. Waited a while, back past the same staff, to Reception, who said they's send someone over....... 10 mins. later, back to reception, who said again that they'd send someone. Order taken. A little while after having ordered, we were informed that what 2 of us wanted was out of stock (why weren't we told when we ordered?). 40 mins. later the Bacon sandwich arrived as a B.L.T. (despite having discussed at length JUST bacon). Good point: the bacon was done to a frazzle as had been requested. In the ham sandwich the Dijon mustard appeared to be absent from the mustard mayo (there's the subtle taste of mustard and there's non-existant; this was the latter). On all our plates the salad was salty, the watercress was definitely neither fresh, (it was yellowing); nor had it been washed properly, (it was gritty). All of this was fed back when we were asked "Is everything alright?" as I'm a great believer in letting them know when something is either particulary good or particulary bad. Having known how good the lounge has been, both our visitors & we were sad to see how badly things have slipped. Oh well, all good things must come to an end, I s'pose.

2  Thank OldSchoolStandards
Manager_GoughGroup, Manager at The Angel Eaterie, responded to this reviewResponded 4 April 2018

Dear OldSchoolStandards,

Thank you for your recent review.

I was disappointed to read your comments and have passed these onto the Management Team here at the hotel. I know we are currently undergoing some training for the staff in our lounge area so please do come back soon to see the improvements. We are also now offering a Bar menu in the evenings.

Hopefully, we'll see you again soon.

Reviewed 29 March 2018 via mobile

The restaurant is quite well laid out and has good decor.
The staff are pleasant and attentive. The chef provided a taster of mushroom in a coating which was lovely.there was complimentary bread but only if one sort.
My husband's cauliflower soup came with a bon bon of cauliflower cheese and he said it was all very tasty. My beetroot salad was refreshing and tasty.the cod loin was wonderful, he said but my chicken and mushroom pie topped with filo pastry was filled with soft delicious filling but was running in oil. I could not eat more than half as it was so sickly. Such a shame.
The passion fruit Pavlova was lovely.
A very enjoyable meal just a bit spoilt by the greasiness of what would have been a great pie.

Dear sally r,

Thank you for your review.

I was pleased to read that you enjoyed your meal and complimentary bread and hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed 19 March 2018

The waiter we had was polite, attentive and pleasant. The overall experience however was shocking. 40 minutes from arrival to being told the beer we had ordered was not available and so we asked for something else. There is a pathetic disconnect between the arrival of anything. Olives first, Beers later, eventually (45 mins in) sandwiches, tea and cake without the cake and then cake (after we asked). It was a joke made vastly worse by some jumped up middle manager/supervisor tearing a strip off our waiter at full volume and totally dysfunctional conversation. Why did the guests need to hear this berating? Why did her more senior (and utterly useless) manager chime in with "great we are all happy then" (which clearly none of them were). A mess and all very easily solved if management get a grip and run the place properly. You need to know what you have to sell, manage the process of ordering it efficiently, serve it in a co-ordinated way that shows you are paying attention, have your discussions and disagreements out of earshot to guests and any other staff not needing to hear them, and get the bills correct when presented. Not what we expected (although we have been several times before and it has always been excruciatingly slow) and not what this premier position hotel should be doing. Wake up and understand the business.

1  Thank Jewellsverne

Dear Jewellsverne,

Thank you for your review.

I was disappointed to read your comments which we have reviewed. We do offer a relaxed style of service as we don't wish to rush our guests whilst they are dining with us. Having said that, we have taken your comments on board and are currently undergoing some training to ensure this doesn't occur again.

Reviewed 14 March 2018

My first visit here and I left happy and replete. Whilst it's not cheap to eat here I'm happy to pay of I get quality and value. Good ambience and seating. a warm welcome from attentive staff. In particular Cecelia (not sure about the spelling) was charming and friendly without being intrusive. Brilliant canapé, freshly baked bread with a choice of butter or parmesan cream. Chicken liver parfait with julienne of apple, sublime. Excellent steak and accompaniments, a wonderful banana soufflé. Well done all involved. Thank you. One sadness is that the perfectly good tradition of meeting those who cooked one's food seems to be dying. Are kitchens now so frenetic that the head chef or at least the sous chef spare a moment to engage with clients? However that doesn't detract from a great luncheon....a lots of bitter lemon! I shall return.

Manager_GoughGroup, Manager at The Angel Eaterie, responded to this reviewResponded 15 March 2018

Dear roger1232018,

Thank you for your review.

I was pleased to read that you enjoyed your lunch with us and will make sure that your comments about Celia are passed onto her.

We hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed 13 March 2018 via mobile

Met by friendly staff and shown to our reserved table by the log fire .Given a choice of teas and coffees and the assortment of delicious fare on a lovely three tier cake stand explained ,starting with the sandwiches ,sausage rolls cheese puffs,scones ,and variety of delicous cakes . Absolutely delicious.A wonderful way to enjoy a family afternoon and the bonus at the end to be offered neat little picnic boxes to take home what we couldn't finish .

Dear William D,

Thank you for taking the time to write your review.

I'm so pleased you enjoyed our Afternoon Tea. The table in front of the fireplace is a really popular place to sit, especially on a cold winters day.

Come back and see us again soon.