“Great Service”

The White House
Ranked #64 of 298 Restaurants in Guildford
Cuisines: International
Dining options: Reservations
Description: The finest pub in Guildford for those sunny summer days, The White House provides stunning views over the River Wey from the terraces. Slip on your shades and sit back with a pint in our terrace garden, or hire the private terrace above for a celebratory soiree in the sun!
Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

I had a wonderful dinner with my family, the food was delicious and the service was great! The falafel burger was a lovely recommendation from the waiter Toby, he also made us feel very comfortable by making sure if we needed any more drinks and being very chatty which made the experience brilliant and enjoyable! My family and I will definitely be returning!

Poppy H, Social Media Correspondent at The White House, responded to this reviewResponded 4 days ago

Thank you for leaving us such a nice review! I have passed your comments on to Toby.

We look forward to seeing you in the future,

Kind Regards,

Poppy

Reviewed 4 weeks ago

lovely roast in a beautiful surrounding. service was pleasent from the young girls as we were offered additional vegetables for free as initially it was not enough with no fuss. so Nice to see the baby changing area being very warming and friendly as it made my life easier as it kept my young one occupied

Reviewed 5 weeks ago via mobile

Arrived for a pre-booked visit to find our table had been given to another family; if this had been the only issue, we'd have been happy to let it go as mistakes do happen, especially when it's busy.
However, the service was awful. I'm not sure if it is because the staff are very poorly trained or they really don't care? We did ask for a few more minutes to order which turned into 20 minutes, the food took ages and was of mixed quality when it did arrive.
The shepherd's pie was delicious, fish and chips OK-ish, tagine with couscous, average. The steak was not delivered according to the medium-rare request but was comp'd, so points here for responding to feedback and doing something about it. (My daughter did ask for peas to be missed off her plate but was told it comes as it is and to just leave them). The base of the brownie was so hard, trying to cut through it resulted in a piece flying across the room!
The crudités consisted of 2 batons each of dried up carrot and cucumber and the baby desert was delivered in a plastic wrapper that was ridiculously difficult to open - why don't they cut open the packet?
The worst thing was a tray of tea being placed on the table right in front of a 14 month old baby - when asked to move it because it was dangerous, the waiter sympathised by saying he was nervous of hot tea trays because he'd burned himself by spilling the tray all over himself previously - DON'T PUT IT NEXT TO A BABY THEN!!!!
Then there was a long blonde hair attached to one of our desert bowls - by the time it was noticed, we'd given up and just wanted to get out. Won't be returning!

3  Thank BobbysGirl11
Poppy H, Guest Relations Manager at The White House, responded to this reviewResponded 3 weeks ago

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review of your recent visit to the White House

Am extremely disappointed to hear of your poor experience at my pub.

I have set down and reviewed your feedback with your server and have set up additional training plan to improve his understanding of H&S (as leaving hot water next to a child is no excuse) and to follow our service standards

In regards to food we are always looking to improve and my head chef and I will make take you comments on board

Apologizes for the mix up with your table as another party of 4 and a high chair along with the same booking name of Ellie turned up 5 minutes prior, as it was in our list so we set them down until your party turned up and we started to question how did that happen as two bookings under the same name, covers date and time turned up.

Your comments will go long way to improve my business as we are always looking to improve on our food and service

Reviewed 16 January 2018

Booked a table for 12 for our annual family Christmas lunch on 16 December. The food was very mediocre - my soup was bland and tepid, and the turkey main was bland and boring - nothing special for Christmas. The service was terrible though - we were ignored when we first entered the dining area, then they proceeded to serve us each course in quick succession without checking if we were ready. The worst part though was when my ill mother asked if her creme brulee could be warmed up a bit (it was freezing cold all the way through having apparently come straight out of the fridge) - the waitress then began to argue with her about how the dish should be served in front of the whole table, "I've been working in the restaurant industry for 8 years and I know how it should be served"... it was so rude and went on for so long that my partner had to ask her to be more polite. Unfortunately we accidentally paid the (almost £40) service charge as we didn't realise it had automatically been added to the bill. I complained to the pub about their service via their online feedback form about 3 weeks ago but haven't received a reply, although we spent almost £350 on our visit! My advice - best to book elsewhere, I will certainly never return here!

1  Thank NixLit255
Poppy H, General Manager at The White House, responded to this reviewResponded 20 January 2018

Good afternoon Nicola,

First & foremost, thank you making me aware of your poor experience at my establishment which will help me to improve my business in the long term.

Many apologies as I have not seen any of your recent complaints apart from this one on Trip adviser hence why no response had been made.

I am disappointed to hear that one of my team member was rude while trying to explain that Creme Brulee is served room temperature as this dish does not come warm for obvious reasons. Saying that, I would like the opportunity to talk to you in person or over the phone in regards to your experience.

Mahbubur Khan
01483 302006

Reviewed 10 January 2018

I have been into the White Houe a few times before - mainly for a drink. This time we decided to have some lunch. My friends had the vegetarian tagine and the cod & chips which were fine. I decided to have the mackerel nicoise salad. When it arrived I asked for some dressing as it was dry. The waitress looked at me as though I had two horns. "Salad dressing? I don't think we have any. Would olive oil be ok?". Bizarre. My friends thought it was a big joke to offer salads on the menu but then fail to have any dressing. The salad itself was fine but would have been much tastier with a decent dressing. Very odd.

Poppy H, Social Media Correspondent at The White House, responded to this reviewResponded 20 January 2018

I am sorry to hear about the miscommunication on this occasion, our salads all come lightly tossed in salad dressing which is available upon request as well. I have briefed all of my staff so that this mistake does not happen again.

Thank you for letting us know!

Kind Regards,