“Hope to see Barrio Comida back soon!!!”
Review of Barrio Comida

Barrio Comida
Reviewed 17 January 2018

Went to Barrio Comida several times for lunch. Best tapas in town! It was a great restaurant to go to. The food and drinks were amazing and the staff were great! Hope to see Barrio Comida open again soon!!

Reviewed 27 November 2017 via mobile

Holy Mole!! As Taco fanatics I really don’t know why it had taken us so long to visit this place but we finally did......twice! People bang on about the location, yeah it’s pretty awesome watching the night creep in over an iconic bridge or two but it’s purely secondary to what’s coming out of the open kitchen.

I’m a fan of the more informal type of restaurant, ordering/paying upfront, pulling up a stool waiting for a paper plate and repeat is fine by me, although the concept does seem to confuse/scare some others.

The beauty of tacos, which is essentially what this place does, especially if your in a couple, is you can work your way through that menu and I’d recommend just that. Highlights for me were the battered fish tacos, fresh crispy and soft in the middle, the potato/squash taco, comforting and flavoursome and the chicken mole......oh my......the chicken mole!! We had double helpings of these on our first visit, it’s rare you go somewhere and HAVE to go back another day for more as you can’t stop thinking about them. Awesome!

However, I believe this place only has a week left to run in its current incarnation which is a damn shame. I really hope this isn’t the end and alternative premises can be sort and it’s rightful place as one of Newcastle’s must eats is restored.

1  Thank MattBlackGB
Reviewed 17 November 2017

Enjoyed really delicious, fresh Mexican food here recently, had selection of tacos. Excellent location on quayside, friendly atmosphere, best food we had in week off travelling around, easily. Highly recommend. Inexpensive for the quality.

Reviewed 11 November 2017

Short menu consisting of a couple of starters then a good selection of tacos. The oyster starters were incredible, big fat Lindisfarne oysters with a dollop of lime, coriander and onion dressing. The tacos were delicious. We had steak, chicken, butternut squash and belly pork and there were lots more. The sauces were all different but equally scrumptious. We loved the big views of the river Tyne and bridge, the chilled out atmosphere and friendly service.

Reviewed 8 November 2017 via mobile

Barrio Comida is situated in an old shack on the Quayside. The view is lovely and the atmos is nice, especially on a Sunday with the market.

The food mainly consists of soft tortillas. Each dish consists of two tacos and costs around £4.50. You'll each need two dishes (four tacos). Which isn't a bad price for a meal if you stop there; however, the tacos are very small and don't contain much meat or sustenance and there is the temptation to buy starters and a drink. The cocktail I had cost £7. Last time I went, I ordered water, but felt a bit robbed of a longer dining experience.

For somewhere that advertises itself as a street food restaurant in the vain of an unpretentious Mexican stall, it's all a touch expensive for me, and the meals more of a snack than an actual dinner, especially when you consider you can get a 5 course curry for around £11, or around £32 for two and a bottle of house white.

All a bit dear for me, unfortunately. I suspect they are paying through the nose for their location. But when you tout somethig as unpretentious, and set it in some kind of old shipping container, people expect value for money.

Having said that, the food is tasty and fresh, and the two girls who work there are cute and polite.

Definitely worth a try, but more of a novelty than a regular haunt. Or a nice place for a snack, if you have the money. I imagine you'll get extra brownie points, however, if you take some little Bohemian chick here ;)

1  Thank Nick C