“Nice Place For Lunch”
Review of The Broad Chare

The Broad Chare
Reserve with OpenTable
The Broad Chare is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: We’re big on warmth, low on fussiness: stripped wood floors, high bar stools, painted brickwork and comfy leather banquettes. Sup your pint beside our polished-oak bar or tuck yourself away in the Snug behind the frosted glass partition. You can hear yourself talk, concentrate on the crossword or nod off quietly in the corner. Upstairs in the Dining Room, it’s all reassuringly simple with solid wood tables, sturdy schoolroom chairs and shiny brass coat-hooks. Our menus offer honest, home-cooked food like pubs used to serve: tasty, satisfying, proudly British. You can enjoy a proper sit-down-at-the-table meal or, if you’re more in the mood for grazing while nursing your pint or you’re a bit pushed for time, try our Bar Snacks. These are Bar Snacks with attitude: generous, full of flavour, deliberately tempting – hand-raised pork pies, Scotch eggs, cauliflower fritters – they’re almost a meal in themselves. Why not order a selection and share with friends? Lunchtimes and evenings, tuck in your napkin for handsome starters such as potted shrimps or crab on toast, hearty main courses (perhaps fish pie or steak and chips) and old-fashioned puddings. Daily specials, such as Thursday’s steak and kidney pudding, plus a platter of British cheeses add more choice. Eat upstairs or down, on your own or with friends, one course or four. It’s your pub, you choose.
Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

We had a very pleasant lunch in The Broad Chare with a nice mixture of different dishes to chose from, from very nice small dishes to mains.

Our visit was all good, it’s not cheap but worth paying that bit extra for the food on show.

Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

The time of day is critical here as it floats between being rammed around teatime to being pleasantly busy in early evening. A good selection of drinks are accented buy a small selection of bar snacks, all of which are worth trying. The prawns were smaller than I recall from days gone by but do make sure you push yourself and savour the oysters.

Reviewed 15 March 2018

Friendly staff, decent menu and food, nice atmosphere and especially enjoyed the daily specials - miced beef and dumplings mmmmm

1  Thank 280DavidC
Reviewed 10 March 2018

I've been to The Broad Chare for an after-work beer countless times but never climbed the stairs up to the restaurant floor. What a fool I've been. We visited for a quick lunch last week, and I have been talking about my chosen dish ever since. My partner chose a black pudding main, which made me furious because I wanted it, and now it was off limits, turns out it was my lucky day as my back up choice (Cod with Hazelnuts and Tenderstem) was one of the best dishes I've had in Newcastle, full stop. It was gorgeous, the service was great, and the surroundings perfectly cozy. I'll be back this month...and next month.

Reviewed 8 March 2018 via mobile

From the street looks like a fairly basic bar however venture up the stairs to a nice restaurant.
The service is excellent accompanied with a reasonably good wine list
The menu has been crafted with care to be different from the norm resulting in a superb meal.
one of my new favourites and i will definitely be back