“Excellent choice ”

Price range: US$10 - US$37
Cuisines: Italian, Contemporary
Good for: Romantic, Business meetings, Groups
Dining options: After-hours, Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations
Description: Marco Polo is an Italian bistro that is celebrating its 42nd year of trading. We are an independent restaurant and locally owed. We offer a wide range of pizza/pasta and consider this to be our bread and butter. However we really come in to our own on the a la carte side of the menu. All our dishes are prepared on site and deliver extremely good value. The restaurant is always busy and has great atmosphere. We can cater for most requests. We take reservations and also hold a number of tables back for walk-in custom. So if you're passing pop in.
Reviewed 12 August 2016 via mobile

Having pre booked our table we were seated very quickly and handed our menus. The menu is excellent with a great variety of dishes on offer that are a bit different from the norm which was great to see. We ordered our wine, bread and olives starters and mains. The wine was brought straight away but the bread and olives arrived with our starters which was a shame as we would have liked them with the wine while the starters were prepared. This aside the food was brilliant and I had the best carpaccio I have ever had. Main courses were also excellent. Overall a great night good service and tasty food. Next time I will ask for the bread a olives to be brought with the wine.

MarcosManager, Manager at Marco Polo Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded 2 September 2016

Thanks for your kind words, sorry about the mix-up with the bread and olives!

Write a ReviewReviews (1,269)

Reviewed 12 August 2016

It was a delight to dine at Marco Polos. Food was great, staff were exceptionally friendly and polite. Great atmosphere and well worth visiting.

Thanks, always great for the staff to get this sort of feedback!

Reviewed 11 August 2016 via mobile

Visited for lunch on back of recent visit when we really enjoyed the whole experience.
Lunch menu to celebrate Restaurant Week was spot on 2 courses for tenner.
Tuna carpaccio with seville orange, fennel and pomegranite followed by venison ragu on mash superb. Mrs had tuna croquets which were great but she was disappointed with butternut squash canneloni which was more like a ricotta pie. But hey ho waitress offered to exchange and scallops with pea puree was excellent. Desert of cinnamon donuts with hazelnut ice cream what can i say.

So glad you enjoyed and pleased we could replace the canneloni for you.

Reviewed 11 August 2016 via mobile

We decided to try this restaurant as we wandered past and saw it was busy and had a nice atmosphere. We sat down and were offered a drinks menu. The waitress very nicely suggested her favourite wine so we said we would try it. It came and unless we had brought a bottle of gaviscon with us it wasn't drinkable. The gentleman who poured it very nicely changed it for a Sauvignon for us but this was also horrible. I asked for a lemonade so I could at least add this to it but the lemonade didn't arrive so In the end I decided to ask for a gin and tonic and my family member asked for a soda to mix with her wine. After a good while we had to ask again for the gin and tonic and soda and cancel the lemonade then near the end of the meal the lemonade turned up!! We ordered starters and mains. Myself and my partner ordered the mushrooms which arrived which such a strong smell I literally couldn't stomach them in front of me and the bread was covered in what I can only describe as watery Philadelphia. I didn't touch it and everyone on the table agreed it was inedible!! My sister had calamari which just turned all of our stomachs it looked like it had just jumped out of the sea!! On a plus the bison soup was nice and the bruschetta was average. On to our mains ..... We had two portions of meatballs which were average at best but the sauce was very rich. The pizza and lasagne were adequate what you would expect from a cheap pub meal. I ordered the prawns starter with chips as a main course. The prawns were swimming in a buttery, greasy juice that had a layer of fat on top and tasted disgusting. My partner tried one and struggled to swallow it. Everyone on the table tried a chip and they were greasy, soggy and just vile!! We explained to the staff it wasn't a nice meal and the young girl said "well if you had told me at the beginning we would have changed it for you" .
The manager then took off the Sauvignon which we didn't like off the bill.
I have worked in restaurants all my life and eat out a great deal. I always give praise where necessary, today I have written an excellent review for another Newcastle establishment but I can honestly say it was the most disgusting meal I have ever eaten !! Well I didn't eat I left and went back to the hotel and ordered fries!! Worst money I've ever spent !!!

2  Thank Hannah H
Reviewed 11 August 2016 via mobile

Visited here quite a few times over the last few years and always been impressed with the food and service, the last visit in August 2016 was no different, we had booked in advance and asked for a table window which we were given, we had starters, main and a bottle of lovely wine, everything was packed with taste and cooked to perfection, the wine was also excellent, our waiter was very attentive without being over the top, overall a wonderful experience, I sincerely can't recommend this place enough, if you want a brilliant Italian meal with good wine and 1st class service this is the place, and to top it all off its very reasonable. Just go!

What a fantastic review, thanks ever so much.