“Great spot for a Saturday evening meal”

Blackfriars Restaurant
Reserve with OpenTable
Blackfriars Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Price range: US$0 - US$74
Cuisines: European, British
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, After-hours, Dinner, Delivery, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Transit: Newcastle Central Station
Description: Blackfriars Restaurant in Newcastle is Britain���s oldest purpose-built restaurant, dating back to 1239 when it was used as a refectory by hungry monks. Luckily the food is a bit more modern, and the award-winning menu and historical surrounds have made this one of Newcastle���s most popular restaurants. Whether you���re dining in the candlelit medieval banquet hall, the intimate dining room or the garden terrace, be sure to arrive early for a delicious cocktail at the bar. The menu never fails to impress, and favourite dishes include the wild rabbit stew with prunes, roasted almonds and Jerusalem pur��e and grilled scallops with roast pumpkin, French beans and beetroot coulis. Blackfriars Restaurant has an acclaimed wine list.
Reviewed 29 October 2017 via mobile

First time here, 25 years ago I lived in the flats opposite.

The setting and service were great, and on the Saturday evening the atmosphere was spot on.

All the courses were excellent, starters were the black pudding and Fantastic brown sauce and a lovely beef tartare. Our mains didn’t let us down which was venison and the pork both perfectly cooked.

The only reason it’s not a five star rating was that the bread was slightly undercooked - although unlike many restaurants it was not limited and the basket was continually filled. Also, we were encouraged to have a side of roast parsnips and carrots which actually weren’t required and were in our opinion over cooked.

However, neither of these ‘issues’ spoilt our night at all, and we will definitely return.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,476)

Reviewed 28 October 2017 via mobile

It's been a while since we had last visited Blackfriars restaurant but our recent experience was a delight. There is plenty of space between tables. Quality linen, cutlery and glassware - a pleasure to see. All staff were polite, welcoming and efficient. Our food was cooked to perfection. The house wine was surprisingly good for a lunchtime tipple. Can't praise this place enough.

1  Thank Jackman78
Reviewed 26 October 2017 via mobile

Celebrating my daughters birthday four of us had drinks and food but due to the restaurant selling out of some dishes had to settle for second choice

Reviewed 25 October 2017 via mobile

The restaurant has a cosy atmosphere and a good menu. Servings are rather on the small side, so you're well advised to take three courses. Helpful staff!

Reviewed 24 October 2017 via mobile

I had an email for lunch offer 3 courses for £21 and this included a glass of fizz. I’ve been wanting to try for ages but never had the opportunity.

I was called the day before to confirm my table and Laura who I spoke to was lovely. My husband called the next day to change our booking to one extra which was no problem.

Food was stunning we had fish cakes to start, chicken for main and sticky toffee pudding for dessert. One of my party also had fish and chips and it was huge and full of flavour.

I would highly recommend this place and service was personal and extremely helpful.

1  Thank zoeradford