Shakespeare Holiday Cottages
The Arden Hotel(Stratford-upon-Avon)
US$194
US$128
Macdonald Alveston Manor Hotel(Stratford-upon-Avon)
US$160
US$128
Agoda.com
US$140
US$105
CrownePlaza.com
  • Restaurant
Best Western Grosvenor Hotel(Stratford-upon-Avon)(Great Value!)
US$108
US$104
Hotels.com
Billesley Manor Hotel(Stratford-upon-Avon)
US$592
US$131
Agoda.com
  • Pool
The Stratford, A QHotel(Stratford-upon-Avon)
US$135
Travelocity
US$127
US$110
Travelocity
  • Restaurant
Premier Inn Stratford Upon Avon Waterways Hotel(Stratford-upon-Avon)(Great Value!)
US$112
PremierInn.com
  • Bar/Lounge
Hallmark Hotel The Welcombe(Stratford-upon-Avon)
Orbitz.com
  • Breakfast included
Stratford Manor Hotel(Stratford-upon-Avon)
US$111
getaroom.com
All reviewsthree cottagescosy cottageinformation folderdining tableenjoyable weekendminute walkhenleycookerardenrsc
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 7 June 2017

I was really keen to book a large property for my family to stay during my daughter's wedding weekend next year. We weren't fussy about the accommodation, but needed a place for three nights, starting on the Thursday, to give us time to complete the last minute preparations before the big day (the Saturday). After identifying the right property (Shakespeare Lodge), confirming the dates and giving me a price, the company asked me to call the manager Antonia to pay the deposit. Antonia failed to respond to my messages and calls, then the following day the company did a complete U turn and told me they could not help me. They said I could only book from the Friday, not Thursday. I sent them the confirmation email sent days beforehand by their manager, which clearly said Thursday to Sunday, but they refused to listen. In the end I gave up. I've had no call from them to give me an apology or explanation for what went wrong. It was not a pleasant experience and it was a blight on what should be such a joyous occasion. I really can't believe how unaccommodating, disinterested and unhelpful they were; one would have thought they could have come up with something - bearing in mind I was booking 13 months ahead. Happily I used another company, who immediately came up with the perfect venue for the dates we wanted. and they were considerably cheaper!

Stayed: June 2017, travelled with family
1  Thank sally n
Reviewed 6 April 2017 via mobile

Booked Juliet Cottage at short notice. Well maintained and delightful Hot tub. Fully furnished and cosy for the two of us. Great correspondence with the proprietor, short taxi ride into Stratford to visit the RSC, excellent taxi recommendation in the arrival information. Would certainly book again.

Stayed: April 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 14 February 2017 via mobile

We stayed in Romeo cottage. We self catered and everything was there that we needed. Hot tub looked wonderful, but snow put us off! Very cosy cottage. There were four of us, not sure how 6 would manage. Beds were comfy and plenty of space to lounge around. Not luxury, but very warm comfortable and relaxing. We plan to return for another retreat . Booking was easy and Antonia very responsive and helpful. Very near to Henley and stratford

Stayed: February 2017, travelled with friends
Reviewed 9 February 2017 via mobile

Stayed with Shakespeare holidays; at the Measure cottage for 1 week, with my 2 colleagues whilst touring around schools with a show in the Coventry area.

Overall, we were happy with our stay, it's a nice and cosy cottage, with a very spacious kitchen and living room. The kitchen was clean, however small cupboard space - but not a major problem in the slightest. Would've been nice to have a bigger dining table. Also, the cooker was a bit misleading and complicated to use, in terms of what settings to be on etc...
Great size fridge.

There is a downstairs toilet, but no lock on the door. However, this wasn't a problem.

Upstairs there are two bedrooms, both a decent size! Beds were extremely comfy, (can't speak for the others, but I had good night sleeps). Bedrooms were clean and comfortable.

The upstairs toilet/bathroom was okay - however very small, you couldn't really move, it was cramped. It is a bath/shower, there are mixed reviews here - good if you want a bath, bad if you are tall and want a shower, as the roof slants down over it which I thought was poor. This made it an awkward and very cramped shower. If you are smaller then you'll get away with it. But not really a good location for a shower in my opinion. Bathroom was clean tough!

It could be a bit cold at times, until the heating came on (was good) - you could boost the heating though.

There is a hot tub, which I guess is quite popular - we didn't use it however.

It is located in a nice area, Henley-in-Arden is literally down the road. 3 minute drive or 15-20 minute walk. Also, Stratford is the opposite way and will take you 10-15 minutes.

On the whole then - it was a happy stay. If the 3 of us were ever to be in the area again then we will look to come here again.

:D

Stayed: February 2017, travelled on business
Reviewed 28 October 2016

These cottages should earn 5 stars, a nice location, basically nice cottages, so what's wrong. Essentially, the devil is in the detail, specifically:-

Why no information folder in the cottage? This would avoid the need for notices to be stuck to the walls with info about central heating, wifi etc. In addition, such a folder would obviate the need for the frankly daft check in procedure (see below). Also, information concerning local attractions, restaurants and pubs would be most useful.

The check in procedure is cumbersome. We were asked to be at the cottages at 2:30 pm. When we arrived we were told, in quite an abrupt manner, that only the 'group leader' should be there, the rest of us should arrive later. So, our 'leader' was shown around the cottages, she then had to pass the information on to the rest of us, why?

The bathroom in Juliet left a lot to be desired. There was no shelf on which to put toiletries, there had been one in the past as the mounting brackets were still over the basin. The only mirror was yards away from the basin which made shaving impossible. There was nowhere to dry towels, there was a switch labelled towel rail and holes in the wall where it had been but only a radiator.

Several light bulbs were not working.

Some of the dining chairs (used by all of us) in the adjoining cottage were wobbly &/or broken.

So, these cottages could be super, at present, things need to improve.

• Stayed: October 2016, travelled with family