“Really really good!!”
Review of Rusty's Smokehouse

Rusty's Smokehouse
Ranked #1,571 of 2,342 Restaurants in Birmingham
Reviewed 26 December 2017 via mobile

Ok so there are a lot of negative reviews on Google and on tripadvisor. This is unfortunate because me and my family had a great meal here and left stuffed!

Firstly the interior and theme of the place reminded me of my favourite restaurant Meat & Shake (Watford and London). The decor with rustic wooden walls, metal shack on ceiling along with the old school toilets really have meat and shake influence. The service was spot on! The restaurant was about half full and our food came out quickly.

To start, my kids ordered garlic bread with cheese and my brother ordered nachos. They were fine and as good as any garlic bread and nachos.

Mains is where it got good. Me and my daughter wanted to try full rack of short ribs and the brisket. The manager recommended we go for the short ribs (served with fries and coleslaw) along with side order of brisket, instead of ordering it as a main. Really sound advice as it saved me money. The ribs were HUGE and fell of the bone. They tasted phenomenal and nothing else in Birmingham offers anything like this. Coleslaw was quite fiery and had a kick. The fries are triple cooked and were really crunchy! I wasn't a fan of the gravy though. The brisket was delicious, cooked to perfection and you could see the smoke rings on the meat. The quality of the meat is second to none so fair play to them on that. You are paying for quality.

My daughter is quite fussy but bless her, she ate well and loved the ribs and brisket.

They happily packed up food we couldn't finish (half the rack of ribs) and had no space for dessert. Overall we will return and try the steaks and other dishes but I can't recommend ribs and brisket enough.

Things they can potentially improve on....expand the sweet offering such as milkshakes and desserts. Not a big deal though as there are plenty of dessert parlours nearby.

1  Thank steak-connoisseur

A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 18 December 2017 via mobile

I felt i had leave a review, was very dissapointed at seeing it st 2.5 star aversge rating.

This is definately a 4 or 5 star place.

Based on my experience of visiting twice

Atmosphere: american diner type theme, decor to match atmosphere felt inviting and comfortable i think they have a seperate place for families as well

Service: cant fault this im surprised to see other comment leaving negative remarks. Service staff are very polite and check with you to see if everything is ok

Prices: steak prices are to be expected but i felt burger fries and drink should be capped at 9.99 and thats with the refills.

The food:

I can only comment on what me and my friends had;

The beef pattie burger was amazing, everything was cooked to perfection even the burger buns are cooked in house. The triple cooked fries are actually the best fries ive ever had.

Pulled chicken is outstanding too, if you want something spicy this is the item for you.

My friend who was with me has been to over a dozen halal steak places and he tell me that it was the best halal steak ever. He wasnt to fond of the mash go for ny fries as the sides its a 5 star product wheras the mash is 3 star. (We prefer ibrahims mash)

They actualy got the cooks right most halal places overcook orders ie bringing out medium as well done.

I wasnt too keen on the bulled beef the texture was spot but not too fond of the sauces used on it.

Portions: everyone was happy with their portion sizes but me being a big fella i went for an adittional fries with pulled chicken which cost a fiver well worth it as for me their wasnt enough fries with the burger

1  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 9 December 2017 via mobile

Really disappointed with this place.

Steak was cold and didn’t taste great.

Garlic mash was horrible (tasted like someone had poured lemon juice into it). (Was told food was poor due to it being busy and chefs being new).

Presentation was ok.

Overall the food was a disappointment.

Decor-they’ve given it a good go and it looks ok.

The restaurant needs better heating, although it was a relatively cold night.

I think the locals will find it hard to return to this place. May be kept open by diners traveling from far.

I’m sorry to say but i can see this place closing in 6 months to a year.

Reviewed 7 December 2017 via mobile

Food was overpriced and didn’t taste nice. The music was too loud and didn’t suit the venue. My friends and I will definitely not be returning and I don’t think this restaurant has a bright future.

Reviewed 4 December 2017 via mobile

Visited here with friends yesterday. Starters, cod goujons £6 for what were essentially 3 cod fish fingers. Pulled beef in burger was horrible and the prices are extortionate. We wont be back.