US$99
US$64
Hotels.com
Savings alert! 16% below average rates

The price you found is 16% lower than this hotel's average rate of US$76/night.

US$70
US$67
  • Room Service
US$62
US$55
US$79
  • Breakfast included
Bloc Hotel Birmingham(Birmingham)(Great Value!)
US$45
US$44
Birmingham Marriott Hotel(Birmingham)
US$83
  • Pool
Savings alert! 12% below average rates

The price you found is 12% lower than this hotel's average rate of US$94/night.

Book now, pay at stay
US$77
US$55
Hampton
Savings alert! 11% below average rates

The price you found is 11% lower than this hotel's average rate of US$62/night.

Free cancellation until 27/07
US$154
US$127
  • Pool
Free cancellation until 27/07
US$109
US$105
Hotels.com
Novotel Birmingham Centre(Birmingham)(Great Value!)
US$91
US$61
1,758 results
All reviewseye hospitalroll top bathbubbles barmonsoon showerbubble loungeafternoon teanespresso machinedeluxe roombirthday treatmini barlarge bathroomwalk in showerlovely roomcity centresaturday nightstayed for one nightcooked breakfast
Reviewed 11 December 2012

Visited the du vin Birmingham on a sunday while sampling the German Market, the deal was exceptional, the room was great to get back to and into the onesie, crack a bottle of wine out of the wine cupboard then order one from room service, devour the crisps and posh nuts provided, then... A luxurious bath with personal products. Dress up and down to the restaurant for a lovely meal, awesome!
Peter, Duffield

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 9 December 2012

I booked this hotel as a last minute trip to birmingham to do abit of Christmas shopping and I'm so glad that I did. I didn't go down the the restaurant to eat but I did have room service and must say that I really enjoyed what I had ordered, as other reviews have said the main reception is very dark...but who cares...your not staying in the reception. Our room was a lovely room with a very comfortable bed and bathroom was great with a nice over sized bath/shower. Room was also very clean and well stocked mini bar and other essentials like hair dryer, iron etc. Didn't see much staff but the ones that we did have encounters with were very helpful and attentive. Will definitely be staying here again

• Stayed: December 2012
2  Thank Soph01905
Reviewed 6 December 2012

Stayed one superb night. Large, very comfortable bed. My wife and I have stayed at Hotel du Vin previously on a special deal including bed & breakfast plus evening meal on arrival - we chose the chateaubriande at £5 supplement each and worth much more, which meant that we didn't take advantage of the cooked breakfast but had a lighter but lovely meal. The public areas are lit subtly, maybe dark for some people, but we like the atmosphere - though it was hard to see the lift call buttons! Car parking is a problem - we couldn't park outside to unload and paid £20 for our car to be driven away to store overnight, so we had to be sure we had everything out of it. Overall, though, a great stay with more than enough to see in the city within walking distance - good job as when it poured with rain briefly, our taxi driver didn't know where the Art Gallery & Museum was - unbelievable as it is massive and central! Staff in the hotel, on the other hand, were excellent, great service in the restaurant. Good value.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 2 December 2012

The building - very striking from the outside - was apparently the Victorian eye hospital. Ironic then that the entrance is very badly lit with awkward steps up to it and unexpected steps - treacherous because they're at different levels - inside. The Service desk is even more poorly lit with small print on the check-in form, making it difficult for both staff and clients to read. Check in took 10 minutes. Before our stay I had rung to ask about making a car park reservation. I was told "It isn't a problem - just turn up". I wasn't informed that the car had to be valeted for £20 and therefore we couldn't access it during our stay, something I regard as inconvenient.

The Bubble Lounge was very noisy with music: I wanted to read but that was impossible. The Pub du Vin was also noisy and poorly lit but the staff there were courteous and helpful, taking drinks up the awkward staircase to us in the Reception area (also dimly lit) and pointing out that there was a Courtyard area which was better lit and relatively quiet (if cold). Throughout our stay there did not appear to be anyone in charge.

The signs inside the lift present problems for anyone who is visually impaired. The bedrooms all have pretentious names with dark doors, dark cupboards, dark carpets, dark windowframes, dark blinds and are so appallingly lit that it's impossible to read or see anything properly. The furniture is dark, angular and unattractive. The bed was comfortable but its frame jutted out which meant I banged my leg on it several times. Sachets of tea and cocoa were provided but, inexplicably, a "Nespresso" machine, without any instructions and which is not intuitive to operate, was the only source for coffee. The wifi is free and works.

I'm reasonably tall but the bath/shower is very deep to get in and out of, with no grab rails and nothing to hold on to except a slippery shower screen. I don't want or need plush bath robes which somebody else has worn. The lighting in the bathroom was acceptable.

The full English breakfast (at approximately £15) was passable though the black pudding was dry and the mushrooms dull but the Continental breakfast (at almost £13) was a disgrace compared with those I've had in other parts of Europe. Why doesn't the hotel give thought to the many customers, particularly those working, who perhaps just want some toast or a croissant and coffee at a reasonable price?

The lunch menu at the Bistro was passable; my former colleague had the early bird lunch which she claimed was "all right". I've eaten better moules. We had an excellent Italian wine recommended by one of the staff in the Pub du Vin.

I was told that the hotel does have wheelchair/disability access from the Pub du Vin entrance via the lift but I do think the proprietors need to give serious thought to whether their lighting facilities in most of the hotel are in breach of the disability provisions of the 2010 Equality Act.

As far as I can discern the only justification for the high price of the accommodation is the hotel's location.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 25 November 2012

I stayed here with business 2 nights a week for 10 weeks this year and it became a home from home. The staff are the best I have ever come across in this country as they are extremely attentive and nothing is too much trouble. After a week or so all of the staff knew my name and made sure I had everything I could possibly need. I felt very safe. The food in the restaurant is superb and good value for money considering the quality and presentation and the food in the bar is also excellent although the drinks are a little pricey. I was upgraded almost every week and the larger rooms are fantastic, a big stand alone bath and a huge shower. The beds are massive and very comfortable and all of the rooms are named after a different wine.

The only down side for me is that because the building is the old eye hospital and so is listed, the windows so let in some noise, I would always ask to be in the rear of the building where possible to avoid the noise from the street.

Finally, you can often get a glimpse of a celebrity, rumour has it that Take That and Simon Cowell have stayed this year...!

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a stand alone bath and where possible a room at the back of the hotel which are quieter
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled solo