US$49
PremierInn.com
US$50
PremierInn.com
  • Restaurant
All reviewsstandard ibisquiet locationshower geltea and coffeenight's sleepcity centregood nights sleepyogurtcheckin
Reviewed 9 March 2018

I write to complain about our stay at the above hotel. For the record we stayed from 7th March 2018 for two nights.

I should start by saying that we use Ibis hotels several times a year during our travels in mainland Europe and have stayed in various ones in Germany, France, Spain and Portugal, where we live. We like the Ibis chain, the rooms are clean modern and comfortable. They have a pets welcome policy which suits us as we show our dogs and like to take them into the room knowing that they are clean and well behaved.

However, we did not enjoy our visit to Coventry South. We stayed there because it is close to the NEC and we had entered our young dog in Crufts. The receptionist seemed to know all about the dog show and there were several other exhibitors staying as well. In fact we unexpectedly bumped into some Spanish friends in the car park.

Our main complaints are as follows:

1. When we ate in the restaurant my husband’s food was not heated through properly. He left most of his pie as the middle was cold. He didn’t suffer any ill effects but because I was a caterer in a former life the thought of him eating partly warmed up chicken did make me worry at the time.
2. The room was dirty and obviously had not been cleaned properly for sometime. There was something very strange on the bathroom door handle which I scraped off with one of the many wipes I carry in order to clean up after my dogs if necessary. The carpet was filthy, the net curtain was ripped and clearly had not been ironed, the bath was chipped in two places and going rusty.
3. Your website promised us a “new Sweet Bed by Ibis bed(s)” which sounded promising as many years of grooming dogs has left me with a bad back. There was nothing new about this bed and the pillows were rock hard.
4. The heater in the room was on a timer which seemed very mean especially given the recent weather.
5. There was no hot water on the morning we left. This is not a good time of year to have a cold shower.
6. The bathroom fittings were faulty making them difficult to use.

Lastly, and the thing that surprised and concerned us the most in equal measures was the cash (only) deposit we were charged in addition to the extra charge for the dog. We expect to pay for our dog(s) to use hotel rooms although a lot of them here in Europe waive the charge during a dog show, and £10 is usual to cover any extra cleaning necessary. However, the receptionist demanded an extra £25, cash only, which would be returned if the housekeeper agreed that the room wasn’t dirty. We have never been charged a deposit at any hotel before so it was a bit of a surprise to say the least. We only received a receipt after asking for one and got the distinct impression that she was not keen on allowing dogs in.

When we checked out my husband went to reception to hand the key in and reclaim our deposit. The same receptionist was on duty and duly went over to one of the cleaners and asked her to check the room. The cleaner didn’t seem to understand why she was being asked to do this but she did so and reported back to the receptionist seeming very non-plussed as though it was not something she had done before. I was waiting by our vehicle at the time and so saw and heard the exchange. We received our deposit but are aware that if we had left early to go to the show and had not been returning we would not have been able to reclaim this money however clean the room was.

As driving away we wondered what happens to all of the cash deposits that people are unable to reclaim due to leaving early, especially in view of the fact that no official receipts where issued, if at all. This problem is made worse when, like us people do not live in the UK. Obviously I can contact other dog show people to find out how many of them are in this position and put them in contact with you but it would be useful to know personally for future reference.

Needless to say this experience has rather spoilt our trip especially on what was supposed to be the highlight, Crufts, as I did not have a good nights sleep and was worried about our deposit.

I would be interested to receive you comments on these complaints, especially the fact that the hotel receptionist appears to be collecting cash, some of which will not be returned.

Room Tip: Don't go there
  • Stayed: March 2018, travelled as a couple
Diop S, Manager at Ibis Coventry South, responded to this reviewResponded 14 March 2018

Good morning,

Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your experience at the Ibis Coventry South.

At Ibis we strive to provide a superior service experience for every customer; therefore your feedback is very important to us. Please rest assured that we are taking the appropriate measures to address the problems and prevent future occurrence.

I would like to highlight that all the deposit we do take , we give them back all the times ,we never kept anyone deposit in Ibis Coventry South , just to ensure regarding your concern. Many hotel have in UK have the deposit procedure.

Diop SAMBA MALICK
Ibis Coventry South

Reviewed 19 February 2018

This isn't the easiest hotel to navigate to being in the armpit of the A45, a David Lloyd sports club and Land Rover's Engineering works and we went wrong a couple of times before finally finding the hotel up a grassy lane. I think the roads have recently been re-jigged and my sat nav was confused.

We arrived after dark on a Saturday in February and were greeted warmly by reception. The set up is like a motel with reception and the common areas being in one building and the rooms being in another building across the car park. They have managed parking which means if you don't input your registration number correctly into the computer system you can look forward to a £100 fine in the post. I don't know why they do this as the hotel is in the boondocks but...

The room was clean and warm and the bathroom was spotless. The bed was an Ibis 'sweet' bed which we both find very comfortable so no complaints there. There was tea and coffee makings in the room also. Disconcertingly, there was an extremely bright flourescent light right outside the window which flooded around the not quite fitted curtain but it went out at some point during the night thank goodness.

The bar was a bit of a disappointment. Badly stocked with only bottled beers and only one whisky and coke sized glass which meant that when I wanted a second drink they had no glass to use and I was offered a pint glass!
We tested the 24 hour snacks. I had a mediocre toastie and my partner had chilli and rice which he said was very nice.

Breakfast was the standard Ibis buffet but the eggs had been sitting for too long.

The hotel was actually alright but we have stayed in many Ibis hotels and this isn't one of their best. Cheap though.

• Stayed: February 2018, travelled as a couple
1  Thank angels1five
Diop S, Manager at Ibis Coventry South, responded to this reviewResponded 7 March 2018

Good Afternoon

Reviewed 14 February 2018

Hard to find using post code in nav. On arrival I was told I had not paid.I argued I had as after inputting my credit card details and printing a document which said nothing to pay at hotel, I assumed I had paid. Feeling a little embarrassed and confused I was told to check my credit card statement. So I promptly used my phone went online and couldn't find any charges. After paying, we went to a freezing cold room which took over 4 hours to heat up after switching on the heater, which incidentally didn't work when first switched on as it was also turned off at the mains switch under the worktop.The shower didn't work very well I guess due to low water pressure. Then the breakfast fiasco, I was told I had only paid for one and would have to pay for another. I have no idea how you can book a room for 2 including breakfast and only get 1. Well after producing my printout again which stated super saver deal 1 room,2 adults, breakfast included, we were grudgingly allowed in only to find no bacon, sausages, eggs or mushrooms, only tomatoes! We had to wait for some 15 minutes before anything was replenished.Only for these items to run out again immediately, which wasn't surprising when they came out with only 4 sausages at a time. Other guests also complained there were no cooked items on a few other occasions whilst we were sat eating our breakfast. It was a cheap offer, so glad we did not pay full price for a really poor service!

• Stayed: February 2018, travelled with family
1  Thank mythosmike
Diop S, General Manager at Ibis Coventry South, responded to this reviewResponded 7 March 2018

Reviewed 13 February 2018

• Stayed: February 2018, travelled on business

Reviewed 12 February 2018

Dirty carpets, chips and stains on bathroom furniture, no heating,TV not working. When I mentioned these in the morning when I left almost felt like I was being chastised for not reporting the matter earlier.

• Stayed: February 2018, travelled solo
Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com
Diop S, Manager at Ibis Coventry South, responded to this reviewResponded 13 February 2018

Good Afternoon ,

We appreciate your sharing ,your concerns, and it is our hope that you will give us the opportunity to better serve you in the near future.

Diop S