Coombe Abbey Hotel
US$60
US$59
US$98
3,291 results
All reviewsmedieval banquetafternoon teafeature roomfour poster bedgarden restaurantgrand featurelady cravensconesmurder mysterycountry parkspiral staircasenooks and cranniesgarden roomroll top bathsteeped in historybeautiful hotelfinger sandwiches
Reviewed 30 March 2018 via mobile

What a beautiful location. The hotel is amazing and very quirky. We had a feature room which I would highly recommend. The food is exceptional. The staff friendly and welcoming. The veiw from our room was the most and a deer statue so pretty lite up of a evening.

Stayed: March 2018, travelled as a couple
Ron T, General Manager at Coombe Abbey Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 1 April 2018

Good afternoon & very many thanks for taking the time to leave such a kind review following your recent visit here to Coombe Abbey.
I was delighted to hear that you had a pleasant stay & I hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back soon.

Regards

Reviewed 29 March 2018

We stayed at Coombe Abbey Hotel for a weekend. We wanted to be reasonably near to the National Exhibition Centre and this fitted the bill - approx 30 minutes away. We also wanted comfort and good food.
There was an issue with our original room on the first night, (a water leak!), however it stopped on its own. Consequently we were moved to a feature roomfor the second night. This was most luxurious and definitely to be recommended.

We found that the service in the restaurant was excellent. We ate there on both nights. The food was very good. It is a bit pricey, compared to some hotels, but you get what you pay for. Breakfasts were ok, the waiting staff tend to push the hot buffet, wheareas you can order nicer options direct from the kitchen, which isn't pointed out unless you look at the breakfast menu on the table. If you have time definitely take this option, as the hot food is not very appetising and not very hot either, because guests leave the covers open.

We found the staff to be excellent and helpful in all respects. The venue is a complete contrast to all the bland chain hotels, so don't expect the ordinary.

• Stayed: March 2018, travelled as a couple
Ron T, General Manager at Coombe Abbey Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 30 March 2018

Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts with us following your recent visit here to Coombe Abbey.
I was pleased to hear that overall you appear to have had a pleasant week end. However, please do accept my apologies for the issue that you unfortunately encountered in your bedroom on the first evening of your stay. I sincerely hope that this will not deter you from returning at some point in the future.

Kindest regards

Reviewed 28 March 2018 via mobile

Visited with a group of work colleagues. We had a mix of the afternoon team and the Knights tea. I had Knights and glad I had chosen this one. Although it was a couple of pounds more expensive it did include a glass of very nice wine. My colleagues ordered extra sandwiches and we had extra tea and coffee. Although we all enjoyed the food and venue I do think it is in the pricey side....definitely for special occasions only ...and really shouldn’t have to pay for parking!

Stayed: March 2018, travelled on business
Ron T, General Manager at Coombe Abbey Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 29 March 2018

Good afternoon & very many thanks for taking the opportunity of sharing your thoughts with us following your recent visit here to Coombe Abbey for afternoon tea.
I was pleased to hear that you all enjoyed both the food & the venue itself and look forward to welcoming you back at some point in the future.

Kind regards

Reviewed 27 March 2018 via mobile

We visited the Garden room restaurant for afternoon tea. Lovely surroundings and very comfortable. Arrived a couple of minutes before our reservation time. We were seated very quickly and given menus. However it took an age before anyone came to take our order. Eventually our order was taken and we received our drinks. Well they got the drinks wrong and had to take them back. How difficult can it be to get an order for tea right. We were brought English breakfast tea instead of early grey and Assam. Replacements were provided quickly. We were told when we ordered, that the food would take longer than the drinks. This is normal however we waited a long time for the food which for afternoon tea does seem a little strange. Food was lovely, sandwiches very tasty and cakes were great especially the scones. A bonus was that you could have more sandwiches at no extra charge. A big bone of contention was having to pay for car parking. What a cheek £2 for the privilege!!

Stayed: March 2018, travelled with friends
Ron T, General Manager at Coombe Abbey Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 28 March 2018

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review following your recent visit here to Coombe Abbey for afternoon tea.
I was delighted to hear that you thought the afternoon tea itself was lovely & would like to apologize on behalf of my colleague in the restaurant who unfortunately initially served you the wrong tea.

Regards

Reviewed 26 March 2018 via mobile

I did enjoy my visit to Coombe abbey, hence the 4th star. The staff were all stand-out and they smiled and said “hello” when you passed them in the corridor which was nice. They would all go out their way to help which was nice and really added something extra to our stay (we felt valued). The restaurant was okay but I was slightly let down in all honesty. The service was pretty bad, I think they were busy which left to a slightly longer than usual wait but we didn’t really mind. The staff seemed rushed but they certainly weren’t short staffed. My scallops were priced at £14ish for three. I expected three scallops so no complaints there. My main issue was that I was expecting more for that price tag the overall dish was poor as the Belly pork was over cooked and too dry and the garnish left me disappointed. Again, my fillet steak was £30 and although the steak tasty (slightly under done but I didn’t mind and I appreciate it is difficult when the meat is on the bone) but for £30 I was expecting more overall. The portion was decent though and my girlfriend loved her chicken dish, which I tried and to be fair, was exceptional. Afternoon tea in the same restaurant was fantastic which I think added to the disappointment of our evening meal, If they could make basic sandwiches and scones that well I couldn’t wait to see what they could do al la carte. Aside from this our room was comfortable and the bed was great. Good bath also which we loved. Room 64 in the new building has a small amount of mould on the ceiling but I’m not a whinger and this really didn’t bother me (just thought you’d like to know). All in I spent £300 on one night, one dinner and one afternoon tea which I felt was slightly too much for the overall experience and is probably why I felt the whole experience lacked a little. If I’d have been billed at £230-£250 I’d have given you 5* and would be back again in the summer.

Stayed: March 2018, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Nick J
Ron T, General Manager at Coombe Abbey Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 27 March 2018

Good morning & very many thanks for taking the opportunity of leaving such a constructive review following your recent visit here to Coombe Abbey.
Whilst I was of course pleased to read that you both enjoyed your stay & thought afternoon tea was fantastic, please do accept my personal apologies if you felt dinner was a little disappointing. I can assure you that I will pass your comments on to Chef.

Kindest regards