“Bad Food and Worse Service”
Review of The Verve Grill

The Verve Grill
Ranked #353 of 639 Restaurants in Coventry
Cuisines: European
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 28 May 2012

The Verve Grill is located within the Village hotel in Coventry. We purchased a package deal from the hotel that included a 3 course meal at this restaurant. The food and service were both terrible and if you stay at this nice hotel, I recommed you dine elsewhere. The Farmhouse nearby is a much better option.

We arrived at the hotel at 9pm, tired and hungry and very excited at the prospect of a special 3 course meal at the Verve Grill. This was to celebrate my husband's birthday. Little did we know this would be one of the worst restaurant dinners of our life.

We were shown to a table directly under a cold air vent and waited 15 minutes for our drink order to be taken. We ordered a bottle of sparkling Australian brut and some tap water. We then waited, and waited, and waited - keen to place our food order. Finally a waiter arrived to inform us that the wine we ordered was out of stock. We then ordered a different wine and continued to wait for someone to take our food order. Our tap water never arrived.

After more than 30 minutes since we sat down, we finally were able to order our food! As we had a set menu included in our holiday package, our choices were limited. I ordered a tomato and mozerella tart to begin with and a burger for main course. When the tart came out, it looked very pale yellow. I asked my husband to try it first and he said it tasted eggy. I had a small taste and he was correct - it simply tasted like plain sloppy scrambled egg. I pushed it aside and could not eat it. I tried to get a waiter's attention - but the waiters were all too busy trying to set up the restaurant for breakfast the next day. Eventually when someone came to clear our plates, they asked "was everything okay" to which I replied "no, the tart tasted very eggy and I could not eat it". He did not say anything, he just took my plate to the kitchen without further comment. It was a bit abrupt but I suppose I shouldn't have ordered it in the first place.

For main course I ordered the burger. I am very particular about my burgers and I asked the waitress if she recommended it and she said the burger was very delicious and filling. I asked if I could have the burger cooked medium rare. She said no - all burgers were served medium but that it would still be pink inside and very juicy. I said that was fine.

When the burger arrived it was completely overcooked and without any seasoning. It was cooked very well done - not medium - and it was not at all juicy and definitely not pink in the centre. When I finally managed to get someone's attention - a different waiter to whom I had ordered with - they said that all burgers were cooked medium due to health & safety reasons. I said that is fine, but my burger was well done - not medium - and furthermore, if I was told beforehand that burgers are overcooked I would not have ordered it in the first place. In the end they removed the burger and provided me with just some hot chips. I felt very awkward about this whole exchange as it seemed that the waiter was unhappy with us. I tried to be pleasant but the waiter was not friendly in return, it was as if we had interuppted him and he had better things to do.

The most disturbing thing about this whole evening was the lack of service. I would not have minded the terrible food if the staff had been nicer. But the staff viewed us as being a pain - probably because were were a late dinner reservation. It seemed the staff just wanted to go home. I would have liked to point out to them that if they took our order more promptly we would have left the restaurant earlier. They were also making a loud racket setting up the tables for breakfast around us when we were "trying" to have a romantic and intimate meal.

Dessert was very ordinary. I was not expecting a Michelin Star restaurant, but I really found the food to be inedible. My husband also did not finish his dinner. Topped off when the very bad service, I would not recommend this restaurant at all.

Reviewed 3 March 2012

Have been to the Verve on numerous occasions and usually have a good experience, although the food is not complex in nature. Only once had poor service and certainly not in the last 3-4 years. Usually go on a Friday or Saturday night and they have been busy. The last couple of times we have been have been for the Carvery on a Sunday and that has always been very enjoyable.

My one criticism would have been that I thought that the menu was limited and didn't change often enough. Unfortunately I have noticed that they have recently changed their menu but it is now even more limited which is a disappointment to me!!

Have various offers such as Early DIning and Special Offers on Friday and Saturday night for 2 diners.