“Disappointing stay - did not live up to expectations or promises”

Quality Hotel Coventry
Ranked #19 of 39 Hotels in Coventry
Reviewed 13 June 2017

We were hoping for a pleasant stay for my birthday flying treat at the nearby Coventry Airport, especially after reading some good reviews.

Something went wrong with the booking process and we were booked into a twin room, via Hotels.com. We tried to change to a double but it would not let us as it was pre-paid. We made a note on the booking asking for a double and in my experience most hotels ask on arrival if you would prefer a twin or double, etc. - especially if they are not full. So we asked for a double, to be told instantly by the rather unhelpful receptionist that none were available.

Our twin room was a bit tired and so we checked their website to find upgraded doubles WERE available for £4.50 more. We went back to reception and asked why we had not been offered this. No explanation given. We paid our £4.50 but were told upgrades were usually £10. The new room was much nicer and for the price of £47 was a reasonable price. It seems the rates vary by what is on in Coventry - up to £150 per night. At that price, definitely stay elsewhere.

Bar food was reasonable but we didn't bother with breakfast as we felt we had been lied to. Restaurant wasn't worth using as the menu was the same as for the bar food - not quite living up to what is displayed on posters in the hotel for restaurant food.

Perhaps the hotel was very quiet - the bar certainly was - and it seemed to be mainly tradesmen and regulars that were staying there. All the more surprising that we couldn't get a choice of room in the beginning.

On complaining about the above, the lack of info on arrival (or in rooms) in understanding hotel facilities such as the Sauna / Steam Room (which was nice apart from open drains in the showers and no towels or shower gel) and the lack of any recognition on leaving, we received a rather bland reply from the manager. The usual tale of how important feedback is to them, blah, blah, blah.

On writing to Quality Hotels they advised that this is a privately run hotel, so they were no use either really.

A rather disappointing stay in what was a nice room in the end, let down by the reception we received and poor information. The room needs a bit of attention to detail too. Cheap plastic toilet seat on a grey loo. Grey bathroom suite looks like a job-lot were bought and the toilet flush handle was mounted in the wrong position meaning you had to close the seat to flush. Slow draining waste from the bathroom sink - always a bugbear of mine as it shows a lack of attention from housekeeping and maintenance.

There didn't seem to be a lift and there are a lot of steps so beware if you find stairs difficult.

The area the hotel is in seems to have very little around it without driving somewhere and raised a few eyebrows when we said where we were staying. Views from the rooms are poor.

No safes in the business rooms unless you upgrade on the upgrade - and then you also get a bottle of water, which must cost about £20 a bottle!

Overall a real shame as the refurbished rooms are comfortable and better than other budget chains I have stayed in, but let down by the above. This could be so much better with a bit of care.

Room Tip: Get an updated room
  • Stayed: June 2017, travelled as a couple
1  Thank passion8aboutservice
Coventryquality, Director of Sales at Quality Hotel Coventry, responded to this reviewResponded 14 June 2017

Hello
It is evident from your numerous emails and this review that you feel that spending such an inordinate amount of time complaining following your recent stay here at the Quality Hotel Coventry helpful.
I regret I cannot keep entering into further dialogue as I have repeatedly apologised for the confusion.
Regards
Diane Minnis

Reviewed 3 June 2017 via mobile

Came here with my girlfriend for a concert and everything was okay - room was okay / staff were okay and helpful for getting taxis and things! wouldnt say it was anything special but definitely worth the price for paying! And it's not too far from the centre!

Stayed: October 2016
3  Thank adam9191w
Reviewed 29 May 2017

We were staying for just one night, we found the hotel to be clean and comfortable. The room was clean and large. Trouser press, iron and tea and coffee making facilities.

I really liked that we had blinds and curtains, meant we could make the room really dark, nothing worse than thin curtains that let the light in so you wake up really early.

The staff were friendly and helpful, especially the staff at breakfast. Mark in the kitchen deserves a special mention for his excellent customer service.

Not too impressed with the 3am fire alarm but better the alarms work than not!

Would definitely stay again if we need a hotel in Coventry.

Room Tip: We had a option to choose a bigger newer room, barely any difference in price but we had a lovely bi...
  • Stayed: May 2017, travelled as a couple
2  Thank sue332016
Reviewed 23 May 2017

I have been staying in this hotel for 3 nights mostly on weekly basis. Never been disappointed. The staff are polite. The Wi-fi is better than okay. The food menu is quite decent although keeping in mind the quality on offer the prices are little inflated in my opinion. Nonetheless the food does not disappoint and the portions generous. The best part is the location as it is on the A45 with Birmingham airport just 15-20 minutes’ drive away even during peak hours.

• Stayed: May 2017, travelled on business
2  Thank Amogh D
Coventryquality, Director of Sales at Quality Hotel Coventry, responded to this reviewResponded 24 May 2017

Thank you so much for your kind comments. The whole Team here at the Quality Hotel Coventry are delighted to hear that you enjoy staying here and we all look forward to welcoming you back here in the very near future.
Warmest regards
Di Minnis
Sales Manager

Reviewed 16 May 2017

I tend to stay in Coventry 2 or 3 times per year for business, and tend to stay in one of two other hotels. However, I had left my booking quite late and wasn't prepared to pay the price of the normal hotels so I did some research. The Quality Hotel came up as one of my searches and it seemed ok - the price was very reasonable and it was situated in the right area. I travelled up and arrived in the car park, which was quite busy, but I got a space and entered the hotel. The receptionist was lovely and greeted me quickly. She asked me to input my registration number so I could get free parking, and then issued my room key. There was a bit of a trek to my room, but this meant that I was at the end of the corridor and peace. The room was lovely - a double and a single bed. It was a little tired - especially the bathroom with a grey suite, but it was clean and comfortable. I had the best nights sleep that I've had in a long time :-). The room was very warm, but you could control the heating and open/close the window - a proper radiator rather than air con which drives me nutty when you can't set it properly! The wifi was easy to connect to and coped with the work I did in my room. I ate in the restaurant, which was extremely quiet - I can't understand why as the prices were reasonable, and the fish and chips were amazing. I also had breakfast (an additional cost to the room) and this was a buffet style - full English and/or Continental. I have to say that all of the staff were excellent - very friendly and happy, and I will definitely be back.

Room Tip: I had room 69 which was on the first floor and right at the end of the corridor, so very quiet.
  • Stayed: May 2017, travelled on business
1  Thank jennay19762015
Coventryquality, Director of Sales at Quality Hotel Coventry, responded to this reviewResponded 25 May 2017

Good Afternoon

Thank you so much for this valuable review following your recent stay here at the Quality Hotel Coventry. The whole team here work hard to ensure all our guests have a great stay with us and to know we got it right again is great news. Thank you also for mentioning how superb our Menu and food service is; our Chef always goes the extra mile.
Please don't hesitate to contact me directly next time you wish to stay here in order that I can offer you a 10% discount on all advertised rates; subject to availability.
In the meantime