“True blue Yorkshire fish and chips”
Review of Symposium Ale & Wine Bar - CLOSED

Symposium Ale & Wine Bar
Cuisines: British
Dining options: Lunch, After-hours, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Dining options: Lunch, After-hours, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Reviewed 17 January 2017

Best meal at this restaurant in a long time ! The fish and chips were absolutely delicious. The batter fantastic, crisp and light and the fish better than any local chip shop. It was so white, moist and large. Friendly staff and good atsmosphere. Value for money. Good selection of gins, which are becoming very popular

1  Thank Susan R

Reviewed 9 January 2017

Called for Sunday lunch but it left a lot to be desired.

The pub was freezing, no heating on so had to eat in my coat hunched over trying to keep warm. Wish I'd have ordered a drink first rather than food at the same time, that way I'd have realised I wasn't just feeling the cold from the walk from the car to the pub. i watched another pair dining, the woman put her coat back on after 5 mins. No heating in Jan?!

The Sunday lunch was very average, frozen roasts, solid yorkshire pudding and the side of veg looked completely dried out. We also dined on Christmas eve and the food was poor then but we put it down to the fact it was busy. The desert was a wine glass with marang, cream, lemon curd, marshmallows, none of it went, just an easy thrown together mess.

Also i have a bit of an issue with the chefs whites which are actually darker shade of grey, they look like they were last white in 2014.

Really gone down hill. Loved dining here but will have to give it a miss from now on.

Reviewed 31 December 2016 via mobile

Came for our gym Christmas meal and I'm disappointed I've not been before when it's practically on my door step.
Amazing food and an amazing gin selection. My favourite things.
Staff were very attentive and the food came out promptly after each course. 3 courses for under £25. Drinks are slightly over priced but I would happily pay that for the good atmosphere. After food we went in the back where they have board games. I thought this was a good touch and would come back just for a drink and game. Thankyou for a good meal. Symposium really is a hidden gem in idle.

Reviewed 16 December 2016

Had a Christmas dinner here as a works night out. Unfortunately the food was not up to standard. Out of the party around 10 of us had the turkey parcel which was inedible. The meat was tough and appeared undercooked. We reported this to the staff but the best they could offer was free / tea or coffee at the end. A little Christmas spirit would have gone a long way. Expensive meal for something we couldn't eat.

Reviewed 28 November 2016

This was a good place for a family meal on Saturday night as its close to my brother's house and can cater for a group. We had drinks and meals for six The food cost around £93.00 with drinks extra. There is a good range of ales, beers and wines here. Service is efficient. Space could be limited at busy times.