“So nostalgic it features in my novel My Adventures in Cyberspace”
Review of Victoria Hotel

Victoria Hotel
Ranked #63 of 296 Quick Bites in Leeds
Price range: US$5 - US$16
Cuisines: British
Good for: Bar Scene
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Leeds City Centre
Description: WELCOME TO THE VICTORIA HOTEL FAMOUS FOR IT'S "CONTRIBUTION TO CITY LIFE" AND THE LOCALS WHO SAVED IT FROM DEMOLITION You will find The Victoria Hotel in Great George Street within a short stroll of Leeds General Infirmary, Town Hall and Woodhouse Moor - however you won't find another like it. Step in to discover a traditional pub of unique character, revered for its eclectic range of real ales and its quality pub food, which are served, as they should be, with a generous measure of famous British hospitality. A FASCINATING PAST In 1989 we were given special recognition by Leeds Civic Trust for our 'splendid Victorian features and contribution to city life'. Built in 1865, the 'Vic' accommodated people attending the Assizes Court at Leeds Town Hall. It offered 28 bedrooms, dining rooms, private sitting rooms, a billiard room, and public meeting rooms. Despite all that history we are lucky to be here today as in 1973 our marvellous historic building had to be saved from demolition
Reviewed 8 May 2014

"The Vic" as it is colloquially known, is, for me, the most important pub in Yorkshire as it's where my now husband and I first went for a drink many years ago having met on an internet forum. I would come up from Sheffield on the train and meet him after work, and many blissful afternoons and evenings were spent here in the glorious Victorian interior, either by the windows where we could watch the world go by or in one of the private booths, talking, drinking and laughing.

In those days, the pub was run by Sybil, an amazing character who kept a tidy ship along with her fantastic team of staff. Sadly Sybil has now left but the back bar is now named in her honour. The atmosphere is not quite as electric as in Sybil's days but it's still a fantastic pub to drop into for a drink or a meal. The food is standard pub fare but very well done and the sandwiches are lovely.

So resonant is the pub for me, being the site of our courting days, that it's the setting, under its real name, of a couple of scenes in my fictionalised autobiography My Adventures in Cyberspace.

Long may The Vic reign.

Date of visit: May 2014
Write a reviewReviews (142)

Reviewed 17 April 2014

Nice "victorian" style pub. Food meets expectations for the price. Service was poor on the night, probably due to under-staffing. Good selection of beers.

Date of visit: April 2014
Reviewed 8 April 2014 via mobile

Great hotel, clean , comfortable and stylish ! We love this hotel we come everytime we stay in Leeds

Date of visit: January 2014
Reviewed 26 March 2014

I've had the odd pint in this pub for a few years and always wanted to try the food. Yesterday was my first chance.

The menu is varied - quite expensive for a pub though. I chose lamb shank pie with minty gravy.

My beers were great - lots of ales to choose from. The food was a bit disappointing though; the chips were hard, the pastry soggy, the lamb shank was the smallest I'd seen and the gravy wasn't really minty at all.

I did eat it all and enjoyed it but the quality didn't fit the price - not sure I'll eat here again.

Date of visit: March 2014
Reviewed 19 March 2014

Well where do i start this place is a little gem out of the way but if you can find it then its so much in your favour because you have found the best pub in leeds by far the ales that they have on tap are excellent a wide range and nice to drink the wines they had also was excellent too but the reason behind this review was because the food at this pub that some call it there local was out of this world to be honest the best food i have had since dining at claridges and i eat at alot of restaurants due to my line of business i ordered the cottage pie special and an iberico burger for my partner when i recieved the food it was piping hot and warm plates which is always a good start but the way it was presented and looked really nice truly home cooked surely with a cheese top a luxury to eat and was by far value for money my partner mentioned the coleslaw that was served on a small like plate just enough but it was really creamy and was stunningly tasty we could only say that this place in leeds should be more on the map in leeds as it truly is a fantastic pub just a shame that its hidden away i would also like to mention that we will be coming back to leeds very soon and will be definatly coming back to the victoria well done all round and my hat off to the chef

Date of visit: March 2014