All reviewschose stfab locationtea and coffeeparking permitsalisbury cathedralcomfortable bedenglish breakfastsingle roomcity centreluggagespirehosts
Reviewed 9 September 2017

I'd come off a 12-hour flight from Hong Kong and a) needed to sleep and b) wanted to eat. Much has been made of the lack of on-site staff but if I can wait a few minutes on the street after a long haul journey plus almost two hours in a car for someone to let me in to a B&B then so can you. I had a nice chat with David and Lebo. They are friendly but not overbearing. I had a tasty breakfast -- the fruit salad is great and fresh (not frozen, or from a can) and the bread is locally made. I was happy enough to make my own toast and figure things out in my room (although there's not much to figure out, there are no high-tech controls to master or complex fittings). The location is great, Salisbury Cathedral is down the street and, for dinner, David was able to make recommendations. I I had the cooked breakfast the next day and that was delicious. I had a solid night's sleep during my two-day stay. The room was quiet and clean. The bed was big and comfy. Really, isn't that the point of a B&B? A good breakfast and a decent night's sleep?

• Stayed: August 2017, travelled solo
Reviewed 7 September 2017

We booked at the last minute and couldn't have been happier. Dave and Lebo welcomed us like family, our room was spotlessly clean and had all the amenities within the room normally found in a 5 star hotel.

Dave explained everything to us and even gave us some advice on the town and some recommendations' for local restaurants and bars.

After a great nights sleep we went down for breakfast close to the end of service and were made very welcome, the cereals, breads and juices were beautiful and the cooked breakfast was obviously freshly cooked and tasted fantastic.

I can't recommend St Ann's House highly enough, I travel all over the world with work staying in some beautiful hotels, the service and attention to detail at St Ann's is on a par with some of the very best.
Thank you to Dave, Lebo and your team, we will be back soon I hope.

• Stayed: August 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 12 August 2017 via mobile

This is a clean and tidy a B&B run efficiently by friendly people. The room i had was not big but comfortable. It is very centrally located. The only issue i have is that there are no staff on site. This means if you are going to turn up before 4 you have to tell. When i left i wanted to leave my bag. The owners seemed quite relaxed, so long as the key was back before 4. But the person in charge of breakfast seemed quite distressed by the idea. I am travelling by train. But i you want to park bewarned parking is very restricted everywhere in Salisbury

Stayed: August 2017, travelled solo
1  Thank Brianthejust
Reviewed 26 July 2017 via mobile

The B&B is located near downtown. Its quite a good location with shoping and eating places nearby. The rooms are clean and the staff is friendly. The only thing we had to organize was the parking. There are a few public spots in front of the place but they are mostly taken by locals.

Stayed: July 2017, travelled with friends
Reviewed 11 July 2017

Considering the excellent reviews this place gets on both TripAdvisor and in the 2015 edition of Frommer's, my wife and I were somewhat disappointed by our stay at what was called “St. Ann's Guest House” when I made the original reservations, but is now called simply “St. Ann's House B&B.” I believe there has been a change in ownership between the time Frommer's reviewed this place and gave it a glowing review; the change in ownership may be so recent that it actually occurred just around the time I made our reservations for our July 2017 stay.
Be that as it may, from the very first moment we arrived, we had disappointments. First off, check-in is between 4:30 and 7:30 p.m., a rather late time window which can be awkward at a place where there is no staff on site. If you do arrive a bit earlier (as did we, at around 3 p.m.), you have to ring a buzzer and hope some staff person shows up to give you your key.
In our case, the staff person was friendly enough, but could not, or did not, assist us with the central problem of this place, which is parking your car.
As I had to learn pretty much on my own during our 48-hour stay here, one cannot park on the streets in the near neighborhood between 8 a.m. and 6 p.m. without risking a £70 parking citation, except on Sundays. There are two parking lots several blocks distant, one of which only allowed (paid) parking for up to 3 hours, and the other of which did not accept “new” pound coins––i.e., the ones everyone uses, and the only ones in my pocket at the time. The bottom line is, if you stay here you will pay up to 10 pounds just to park your car several blocks away from the hotel, and be forced to run back and forth to renew you parking permit.
Just before we left, a gentleman whom I believe was the owner indicated he could get me a parking permit for on-street parking the next morning. Since no one on staff had mentioned this before at any point during our two-day stay, and we were leaving the very next morning, this too-little-too-late information was unfortunately completely useless to me by the time we learned of it.
Once you’ve parked, you still have to get your bags to your room. After lugging our bags from our car in the parking lot several blocks to the hotel, we still had to mount the very narrow, steep staircase to our room on the top floor. It was quite a challenge to carry our luggage all the way up to our room, particularly since the staff person did not offer to assist us.
Although Frommer's describes “premium suites” with “details” that “scream quality and dedication,” we did not see anything remotely answering that description at St. Ann's. Our room was very hot, very musty, and very cramped, with no space to put our luggage, and a minimally-sized double bed, with a relatively thin mattress on a box compartment low to the floor. The bathroom was adequate, albeit very small, and featured a flimsy shower curtain that was difficult to keep from falling off its track. The room could very well have used with a ceiling fan. We were sweltering the entire time we were there.
As for the breakfast, it was good. I had a complete English breakfast both days, and no complaints there. The layout of the breakfast room, with spare small individual tables, did not much resemble the pictures of the room on TripAdvisor; there may have been a change in the facilities since the change in ownership.
In sum, there are two big problems with this place, which weigh heavily against a very good rating for it. First, the total lack of any staff on site to help, give assistance, or even answer simple questions about anything; and second, the total lack of adequate parking on site, or any assistance from the staff in securing a parking permit for on-street parking in the neighborhood. We did not really get much assistance until we called the management on our own cell phone––which we had to do (using costly international calling minutes, since we are not from Britain), because there was no telephone in the room. I really think that it is unacceptable for a person staying in a b&b or guest house to have to telephone the management by personal cell phone to get any assistance whatsoever! In my experience of traveling in Great Britain going back to 1969, it is a real stretch to call this place a traditional B&B. It is more like a rooming house, with no on-site staff to give assistance to a traveler just trying to figure out how and where to park their car, to get their luggage up to their hot and musty room, or to ask any other routine question about how to do this or that around Salisbury.
In sum, I only rate this place as “average,” rather than “poor” or even “terrible" (which I did consider doing), because when I finally made contact and eventually met the person I believe was the owner, I got some courteous and helpful assistance in attending to our needs. At least there was a somewhat comfortable bed in the room, a functioning shower and toilet, decent free WiFi, and a convenient location in Salisbury. For that, I'm calling it "average." But "very good" or "excellent"?? Absolutely not.

• Stayed: July 2017, travelled as a couple