“Another local favourite”

Ranked #6 of 51 Restaurants in Ascot
Price range: US$8 - US$40
Cuisines: British
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Private Dining, Reservations
Description: Built around 1480, The Thatched Tavern was originally a farmhouse with a croft (a small farm). There was also a Blacksmiths forge at the back of the building where the kitchen hatch is now, and a wood store at the end of the bar.During the reign of Queen Anne (1701) Cheapside and the surrounding area became recognised as a fashionable place to be seen. The Royal Races on Ascot Heath (as it was then known) also began, although a bit sporadicallyThe Thatched Tavern only became a pub, or tap house as it was known then, in about 1760; it was one of the three most popular drinking establishments in the hamlet of Cheapside. In the early 1900’s it became the main drinking centre in Cheapside, known as ‘The Old Thatch’ The Landlord at this time used to sell local medicine used to cure most ills, consisting of 2 penn’orth of rum and 4 penn’orth of a secret mixture known as warmit! The Tavern has been owned and is loved by many. Some of our locals have been coming here for over 50 years!
Reviewed 6 October 2021

I love this place, it's only round the corner from me and another one of my favourite pubs in the area. The staff are lovely, and the food is just delicious! It's the perfect combination of traditional warm homely pub atmosphere and good wine and dining. I took my parents here and they were likewise impressed. Sometimes they source things like wood pigeon/pheasant from the Windsor Great Park which is pretty lovely for the local country experience.

Date of visit: August 2021
Laurence C, Owner at Thatched Tavern, responded to this reviewResponded 18 October 2021

Thank you for taking the time to write a lovely review. We love our regulars and neighbours so please keep coming. See you soon.

Write a reviewReviews (650)

Reviewed 5 October 2021

My friend treated me to a pre-birthday lunch. Laurence, Martina and Nicole were all so welcoming. Loved the pub and the setting.

I ordered chicken, with fondant potato and savoy cabbage in a bourguignon sauce It was delicious. If I wasn't still so full, I could eat it all over again right now.

Took a peak into the garden and it was so well set out - especially for the unprecedented times we find ourselves in. Particularly liked the wooden cabins. As long as there's not horizontal rain, I'd like to check those out next time :-)

Date of visit: October 2021

Thank you so much for the lovely review. The Chicken is a great dish . It makes our day when we read such kind words hugely appreciated. See you soon.

Reviewed 22 September 2021 via mobile

How we love this gorgeous country pub. Steeped in history it was meant to be where John Brown used to stop off en route to Windsor Castle to see his Queen Victoria.
With Gabriele at the helm the service is magnificent. Nicole and Martina thanks so much for being so warm and welcoming. This pub embodies everything that a traditional pub with heart and soul and passion for its community should be! LOVE IT!

Date of visit: August 2021
Laurence C, Owner at Thatched Tavern, responded to this reviewResponded 2 October 2021

What a fantastic review and how kind you are to mention individuals for specific praise. We hope to see you soon

Reviewed 16 September 2021

Went to the Thatched for a meal with friends, squid for a starter, Lamb for main and sticking toffee pudding ..
absolutely amazing food . . Service was brilliant
Many thanks for a great evening.

Date of visit: September 2021

Good to see you again and thank you for taking the time to review us. All the very best

Reviewed 6 September 2021

I took my son and his girlfriend to the Thatch on 31st August as they have never been before and they loved it. The service is excellent, very friendly and helpful., and the food is wonderful. This is a special place as I have been going there for over 30 years on and off, and it's still a personal favourite. My son could not decide which of the desserts were best, the Sticky Toffee Pudding, or the Brownie, as he claimed they were both fabulous! I love their spiced bean burger, please don't take that off the menu!

I want to mention our waitress, Tina. She was lovely and very attentive and friendly. Unfortunately I was one of those awful customers who didn't have cash for a tip and forgot to add it to the card payment. so I want to give her a big thank you for being so kind about it.

Thank you again.
Jane

1  Thank ljaries

We really appreciate your feedback and fantastic review. Tina was so pleased you specifically mentioned her. See you soon