“Sunday Lunch”
Review of The Belgian Arms

The Belgian Arms
Reserve with OpenTable
The Belgian Arms is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #20 of 163 Restaurants in Maidenhead
Price range: US$8 - US$32
Cuisines: British
Good for: Bar Scene, Groups
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Situated in the pretty village of Holyport, set back from the green and overlooking the pond, The Belgian Arms is a favourite with locals and visitors to the area alike. We offer really tasty British food that's beautifully cooked, a great selection of wines and a really good pint. The atmosphere is warm and friendly and no one is standing on ceremony. The Belgian Arms is the ideal spot for meeting up with family and friends, an informal business lunch or dinner and simply having fun.
Reviewed 5 February 2017 via mobile

Best Sunday roast - beef perfect, epic roast potatoes and fabulous service by young staff in this friendly dog-friendly country pub. (Note for the more fastidious is that Dogs only allowed in certain areas).

1  Thank Peter H

Reviewed 24 January 2017 via mobile

New to area and decided to go there for evening meal , the atmosphere was pleasent and service was good but food disappointing. Both had. Sea bass as a healthy option the piece of fish was small 1/4 of a filet i would guess in a watery broth . For £17 .. we joked with staff wheres rest of fish . Terrible value wont go back there in a rush !

Reviewed 23 January 2017 via mobile

My husband & I had been meaning to try this pub for ages & were not disappointed. We had grilled sardines which were fresh & tasty & also potted shrimp which was ok but not as good . The posh fish n chips were delicious & ox cheek so tender & rich. Mash potato was best we have ever had. We ended sharing sticky toffee pudding with vanilla ice cream & were glad we shared as the portion was above average but gorgeous!
The prices are not too high for the quality of food you receive.
The only negative was the atmosphere was flat as not many people around but it could have been because it was January & very cold & the awful smell of fat from the kitchen which seemed to permeate throughout the pub. I think a better extraction fan is needed.
Overall a great evening

Reviewed 20 January 2017

First of all, I rarely write bad reviews so this pains me especially since we have had so many friends recommend this 'Gastro Pub'. My wife and I had dinner last night and it was so, so poor. First of all we had a drink at the bar and had arguably the worst Gin&Tonic's we have ever had. Ordering a Hendricks, you expect a shiney glass, some ice, maybe a piece of Cucumber, decent tonic etc....what we got was a small, ancient scratched glass, one ice cube, no decent tonic and a piece of lime. POOR.
Menu was not bad. Wine list was average. I ordered a £52 bottle of Rioja which the young waiter poured without even asking us to taste. I'm not a wine snob but please have the courtesy. I cannot blame the waiter for his poor knowledge and lack of even the most basic training - WHERE IS THE MANAGER TO CHECK THIS. How can you let this happen. The starter portions were ridiculous - I got 5 squid rings which tasted average at best but felt like it cost £1.25. Poor. We had the steak which was not bad but the marrow was terrible and chips soggy. Just terrible. The end came when we ordered desert and desert wine....one wine came in a massive red wine glass and the other came in a tumbler.....I exploded and the waiter told me that they had no glasses and that the duty manager told him to serve it in a tumbler. Don't do that, there is nothing worse. Buy some bloody glasses or take it off the menu. They did offer to take the desert wine of the bill. No..... that made it worse, just don't do that. I left a decent tip for the waiter as I feel so sorry that he has to work in such a poor establishment and for a manager who doesn't know what he is doing. I was so disappointed to see a locally recommended restaurant basically milking its clientele and providing such poor service. DONT go here until they sort this out. It's shameful. Manager - my number is 07748 641698 if you want to call me. I will be happy to give you more advice.

6  Thank Mike A
Reviewed 19 January 2017 via mobile

Was in Maidenhead for a team meeting and this was recommended for lunch. Didn't disappoint. Good was hot and fresh. Recommended