“Very welcoming place”

Cuisines: British, Gastropub
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

A nice little bed and breakfast with an awesome staff and friendly clientele. The food is very good and the pub has a tasty cider. What more do I need?!

The cool weekday evenings I was there the pub was lively but not crowded. I was able to do computer work in a quiet corner until closing. I imagine that wouldn’t be possible on warmer summer nights or weekends.

There’s ample parking dedicated to hotel guests. Pull in to the alleyway to the right of the building to access it. A small grocery is within a 5 min walk

The inexpensive room I had was on the second floor which involved climbing steep, narrow stairs. My room was small, without a desk. (Why I needed to work in the pub). The bathroom was quite large and had plenty of towels. If the stairs or lack of a desk is an issue I recommend calling them first to ask what room to book.

The last notable item is the internet speed. I do a lot of travel and the Internet was one of the fastest connections I’ve experienced outside of the home office.

I will come back to stay here and defiantly recommend this B&B

Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

Went here for dinner with friends for the 3rd time. Food was good - portions are big. Staff were friendly but they were inexperienced, the waitress was very friendly but I’m not sure who was in charge. Pub has a great gin selection and the ales are good too - lots of potential in this pub but they need some adjustments to make it successful.

Reviewed 10 September 2018

Went in on Friday for the 2nd time...1st time food was lovely but awful service.. thought we would try it again..arrived to an empty restauraht and got put against wall table for 2. 2 other tables very close by.. within the hour restaurant was full.. I couldn’t get out of my seat to go to the ladies without asking the other tables to move to which they had to stand to let me out and get back in.. 1 of theses tables needs to go... we were that close the lady listened to mine and my friends conversation all night to which made us whisper.. the gentlemen serving the whole restaurant on his own as it was on my 1st visit.. not enough staff at all... from 7.30 till 10.30 only had 2 drinks as it took me so long to get his attention.. in the end I went up and asked if we could have a drink... it’s not the cleanest of places and ladies was not clean.. the not so clean bar area seems to get more staff attention than the restaurant as everyone got served very quick.. pity the restaurant isn’t given more staff and priority.. we ended leaving and going somewhere else for a drink..food was standard... would not recommend this place on a busy night.. won’t be back..shame

1  Thank heathershillito
Reviewed 6 September 2018

Went here for Sunday lunch after reading all the reviews. I was expecting a good quality experience. Well this did not happen. The premises is dirty, the toilets are disgusting and to top it off people came in with a dog sitting next to our table where we we eating, not at all hygienic. The food was terrible, the roast beef was basically four slices of beef that you would normally get from a packet that you would use in your sandwich. The rest of the families food was not good either.

As far as service was concerned, I had to go and get the cutlery myself, and they had the check to charge a cordial price for a bottle of water.

I dont know how anyone in tripadvisor can recommend this place, maybe they probably have not tasted proper food like you get in Scotland or Ireland.

1  Thank jim790
Reviewed 28 August 2018 via mobile

What a wonderfully rejuvenated little pub , ten years ago known as the rats hole , now a marvellous little pub / restaurant with a tremendously homely feeling and the most friendly of staff and customers .
A gorgeous outside seating and garden area , just a little gem .
Situated on the outskirts of town and very much well worth a visit .