Lock in the lowest price from these sites
Hotels.com
Official Hotel Site
1,533 results
All reviews post office through travelzoo beautiful grounds long drive log fire evening meal wedding venue short break night break country house reception area bed and breakfast old building room was large full english breakfast enjoyable stay the staff were friendly and helpful
Selected filters
Reviewed 16 April 2022

This is my first review on my new I pad so I hope I am doing it right our room was lovely and the food was delicious but the staff seemed inexperienced albeit very friendly and they brought a fan up too our room beavause I was to hot at night I look forward to staying again perhaps after a refresh off the hotel as it could do with a click of paint od two in a few places thank you we had a lovely stay and will be back

Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Reviewed 14 April 2022

Beautiful building but obviously the Post Office doesn’t care and has let it go to ruins. What a shame. The entire hall is unloved and not looked after by the owners (the Post Office) who are obviously more interested in making money than looking after a beautiful piece of history. They should not be allowed to have such a beautiful building if they are going to leave it in such a state of disrepair. The food was delicious although there was not much choice, particularly for those with allergies and intolerances. The room I stayed in was tired, with wallpaper peeling off and all the furniture was well past its best. The receptionist who checked me out was very inconvenienced by having to take a starter off my bill that I had been charged for but had not eaten but other than that the staff were wonderful, especially the older ladies in the restaurant. I went for a walk around the grounds and particularly liked seeing the memorial. I booked my stay at the hotel within half an hour of arrival and really can’t fault the staff who had a room ready for me.

Trip type: Travelled solo
Reviewed 12 April 2022

Unfortunately when we first arrived, we were met by the rude blonde haired lady at reception who snapped at us and told us that we were late for check in. It was only 6pm and we did say when we booked that we would be checking in at about 6pm as we are coming from all over the country, to which the hotel had no issue with! The lady then gave us a rather rushed briefing of where everything was and sent us on our way, telling us that she could finally go home now that we had checked in.

The room my wife and I were in was lovely and had a beautiful view. It was however extremely dated with peeling wallpaper, damp, scuffs and marks all over the walls.

The evening meal was delicious - compliments to the chef. Breakfast was also delicious and very filling. Had I known we had to book slots for breakfast I would have done so in advance as when we arrived, there were only later time slots available.

The grounds are breathtaking. Particularly the lake and all the daffodils.

On checkout there was a little hiccup as we had been charged for a bottle of wine which we did not have. This was quickly fixed by the lovely lady on reception (different one from check in) who was very apologetic about the issue.

Overall we would love to go back as it is a beautiful location and is a beautiful hotel, however, the rooms are in desperate need of a revamp and the blonde lady needs extra customer service training as she clearly does not know how to deal with the public.

Trip type: Travelled with friends
1  Thank thomasbS8726BZ
Reviewed 11 April 2022

A beautiful historic building with lovely grounds full of daffodils and grazing pheasants. Our stay of three nights was most enjoyable with pleasant rooms, comfy beds and attentive staff service.

Excellent full breakfast menu to start your day and good evening dining with food and presentation being of a high standard.

We will have no hesitation in returning here on our next visit to The Cotswolds.

Reviewed 10 April 2022 via mobile

We love this hotel. OK it feels slightly under managed and perhaps an air of yesteryear but then it is an historic property. The grounds are delightful, the rooms are big and well furnished, and the guests are friendly. We were given a bottle of Prosecco which we did not expect. The bar and library offer a good space to relax.

The inclusive breakfasts are very good and it’s nice to see that some jobs have been found for people with special needs. That’s a really good thing.

What let’s it down is the evening meal. It’s just not that good. The Shiraz was adequate bu overpriced. The starters are OK but are obviously prepared rather too far in advance. As for the main course we both had overcooked and dry pork medallions. with overcooked savoy cabbage. The portions were on the small side. The deserts were OK. Bottom line needs a chef not a cook.

So do go but perhaps take meals elsewhere in the evening - see my other evening meal review.

Room tip: Avoid evening meal
Trip type: Travelled as a couple