Contact accommodation for availability.
There are similar hotels available.
1,533 results
All reviews post office through travelzoo beautiful grounds long drive log fire evening meal wedding venue short break night break country house reception area bed and breakfast old building room was large full english breakfast enjoyable stay the staff were friendly and helpful
Selected filters
Reviewed 1 July 2022 via mobile

I would rate this as 4.5 as the food is excellent, the staff very helpful, the Hall itself is magnificent and the grounds are impressive.
We asked for a Disabled room as I am recovering from knee replacement surgery and struggle to get in and out of a bath. We were in the room which had an "accessable" bathroom with a Disabled toilet. The bath is low and has grab rails but I still could not lift my leg high enough to use the bath. I would suggest that to make the room fully disabled access they change the bath for a wet room. The room is large with plenty of room for a wheelchair and the bed is very comfortable.
All in all we had a fantastic short break and would definitely come back but only once I have fully recovered from my surgery and can get in and out of a bath

Room tip: Not wheelchair accessible for overnight stays
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Reviewed 26 June 2022 via mobile

Stunning building set in superb countryside!

The staff were polite, friendly and helpful. Some of the rooms on the ground floor were amazing and in keeping with the character of such an old building.

The food was good, menu was limited but enjoyable for dinner. Breakfast was very good although I’m not sure that Nescafé instant would class as fresh coffee.

We were in a standard room and would definitely upgrade next time. The views from our bedroom were simply stunning.

All in all it was a lovely place, quiet and relaxing and value for money.

We were told that there was a refurbishment project in the pipeline which would be fantastic.

Room tip: There’s a lot of character to this hotel but don’t expect The Lygon Arms. Food is nice but basic. Definitely worth a visit though
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Reviewed 11 June 2022

Dumbleton Hall is a a wonderful majestic old building set in beautiful park and gardens with charming sheep. It needs considerable investment to get it up to standard - bedrooms were rather shabby including some unedifying marks on the hall. The staff were very helpful though some were clearly inexperienced - shocked to have been expected to open the bottle of wine at dinner myself! The food was probably above all and they had clearly tried with the menu. On the other hand my rump steak was so tough that I had to take very small bites and even then found part of it uneatable. Very good soup. Minor deficiency made up for by views from windows.

1  Thank Martin C
Reviewed 2 June 2022

Stayed at this hotel in Feb 2022. No hot water, no heating, staff surly. The bathroom had a damaged tap which cut my partner’s hand. We are vegetarian and ask for the vegetarian option which when it came contained meat. The outside looked lovely until you saw the steps which were dangerous. Lodge a complaint with the manager who promised to send this to the head office. We are still awaiting a response in May. They have even ignited my two emails as well. Best to find somewhere they the staff are properly trained

Room tip: Stay somewhere else
Date of stay: February 2022
1  Thank laworsick
Reviewed 18 May 2022

This is an extract of the complaint I wrote to Bespoke Hotels who own the hotel. I haven't had the courtesey of a reply yet.

I visited Dumbleton Hall on 6th May 2022.

My wife, child (age 10) and myself had booked a family room from yourselves through Hotels.com, having seen the excellent reviews for the hotel.

The initial contact from the hotel was fine, asking me to check in before arrival and I booked a restaurant reservation for dinner at 7.30pm at the same time by email.

On arrival the grounds the hotel are lovely although parking spaces were limited.

On entry to reception we were checked in and our dinner reservation was confirmed, it all went a bit sour from there.

Firstly, having been given the keys no one actually advised where our room was and we had to ask.

The hotel décor was tired and dated with cracks in the plasterwork and missing paintwork.

Our room was very old and dated with basic housekeeping having been performed but no real cleaning done for months, the tea and coffee facilities were cunningly hidden in the wardrobe so they couldn’t really be used and there was no drinking water provided in the room.

My son’s bed was to be a sofa bed which was not set up at that time, I incorrectly assumed that there was a turn down service and this would be remedied by the time we returned from dinner.

The bathroom sills were dirty and the bath was a disabled bath which meant it was about 13 inches wide in the middle, certainly not enough to bathe in.

In addition to this we had 3 people but were only provided with 2 bath towels and 1 50ml bottle of shower gel.

Anyway, we got ready for dinner and arrived at the restaurant at 7.35pm to be told that despite having a reservation we would have to wait for a table to be made up.

The dining room smelt like a cross between a school dinner hut and an old people’s home restaurant.

We were seated and the menu was very limited, but my wife and I decided to opt for Sirloin Steak with Chips and Peas and my son had Chicken Nuggets from the children’s menu.

Despite ordering steak no one changed the cutlery to include a steak knife.

When the steaks arrived they were stringy and both well done as opposed to medium rare which had been requested. The chips tasted of oil and the peas were tinned. Not worth £22.50 per head by any means.

We ordered coffee and tea to be served in the lounge after dinner and had to wait 15 minutes for that to arrive. The tea and coffee were both tasteless and we had to ask for a biscuit to go with them.

Upon returning to the room the sofa bed was not made up and the only bedding in the room for it was an old brown blanket and a pillow in the top of the wardrobe above the tea and coffee facilities.

I went to reception to ask for the bed to be made up and after 10 minutes the bar man came into the room to make it. He absolutely stank of body odour and had sweaty armpits to prove it. The sofa bed was made up and we all retired for the night.

At 11pm my son crept into the bed with us as the mattress he had on the sofa bed had no support at all and all your could feel was springs and the bed frame.

So my wife and I spent a romantic night being kicked and elbowed by a 10 year old. In addition to this I had stomach ache.

The next morning we went down for breakfast. I don’t know why we bothered to get dressed as one of the guests was wandering around in slippers and a pair of pyjamas.

As far as “Full English Breakfast” was concerned, the bacon was burnt, the fried egg was cold and the hash brown tasted of the same oil as the previous nights chips. The tea was again tasteless and cold.

When we checked out, I asked to speak to the manager and who as it happened was behind me on a ladder putting up some balloons for a wedding to be held that day.

He did not have the courtesy come down from the ladder during the entirety of our conversation.

I raised the issue of the dirty rooms, to which he replied “it is an old hotel the rooms are going to be dirty”.
To my comments on the bathroom he said well it is a disabled bath and explained I had been offered a room with a bath and I expected to be able to bathe in it, which I could not.
With regard to the tea, he said “well I am from Yorkshire, so don’t take offence but I like Yorkshire tea so you either had that or PG Tips”. He also saw nothing wrong with the quality of the food or serving tinned peas.
His overall explanation of the poor state of the hotel and shabby décor was that the hotel was being refurbished shortly and knocked £50 off my bill.
I tried to explain to him that if I had realised how awful the hotel was and how poor the food was (cheap ingredients and poor cooking) then I would not have even booked it.

Anyway, I then spent the entire weekend with an upset stomach and feeling totally cheated.

Room tip: Get one that is in another hotel.
Date of stay: May 2022