All reviews real ale large room one night stay horseshoe falls lovely food brewed trepidation poster velvet valley
Reviewed 28 June 2017 via mobile

We were looking for somewhere to stay whilst on a canoe course in the area for a few days. I spend a lot of time travelling and rarely unpack but for some reason this time I did. The stay was ok, nothing special but it was warm and dry. The problem occurred when I got home after the trip and I realised I had left a draw full of expensive outdoor underwear and socks, so I called to arrange collection by a local friend, the person on the phone was not helpful at all and asked me to call their cleaner in the morning and was told she will be the only one on at 9am, so I asked if the cleaner is the only one in at 9am would that person not be cleaning and not answer the phone when I called and also who served us breakfast when we were there if only the cleaner was in the hotel at 9am? The person on the phone seemed really confused and had no idea what she was doing and didn't offer any help at all. I called back the next day at 9am to get the same person on the phone and to be told that they would have thrown my clothes away!!!! That would have been over £200 of clothes and I was just stunned at how useless and unhelpful they were. They had my details and could have easily contacted me to say they had found CLEAN clothes in a draw but no help at all....rubbish...

Stayed: April 2017, travelled on business
4  Thank Stuart W
Reviewed 27 June 2017

We went camping over the May bank holiday, lovely scenery, kids playground, dogs allowed. Very relaxing and other campers were friendly but not noisy. Didn't eat in hotel as £££. only draw back was one female toilet and shower and one male toilet and shower - not nearly enough, cleaned and restocked once a day so take your own toilet paper. You could also use the pubs toilets which were clean. Very close to Llangollen town centre which is gorgeous.

Room Tip: take flip flops, toilet roll etc
  • Stayed: May 2017, travelled with family
1  Thank Nicola B
Reviewed 13 June 2017

The rooms were really dated, shower over bath was awful just a trickle of water.The whole place needed a bit of a spruce up. We didn't get a smile at breakfast. Glad we only stayed 1 night as we paid £120 per night. We were there as a group of seven friends, 3 couples & a single it really wasn't worth it. All of us said it wasn't a place we would return to. Shame really as the views were beautiful.

• Stayed: June 2017, travelled with friends
1  Thank Christine L
Reviewed 12 June 2017 via mobile

We camped on the grounds of the abbey gate hotel , as a large family with 2 children , it was reasonably priced £16 for the night for 2 adults and 2 kids in one large tent . We were welcomed to use the hotel facilities such as bar and restaurant . The bar was lovely ,cosy with a beautiful log burner and a charasmatic parrot ! There was an old style record player and pool table which the kids loved ,the staff were friendly , and so accomodating , the only improvement I'd suggest is to offer bar snacks such as a bowl of chips after 9pm .. the kids loved the playground . Toilets were clean ,the loo seat was broke on day one but fixed by day 2. Would suggest electric hook ups and more loos,it was basic but satisfactory

Stayed: May 2017, travelled with family
1  Thank Sammy M
Reviewed 17 May 2017

We were staying for just the Saturday night.It took quite a while to check in, we had the twin rooms - both beds of which were extremely squeaky when turning over. The hot water tap in the bathroom spluttered with scolding water - dangerous, the shower was a plastic attachment to the taps and the temperature was very erratic - one minute the temperature was fine, the next scolding hot - again dangerous. Sunday breakfast was served 8.30-10.30, as we had to leave at 8.00am for a morning event we asked the bar staff at 2pm (no management around) whether an early breakfast could be arranged - even just toast and cereal. The bar staff said they would have to wait until the management arrived to give us any sort of decision ..... At 8pm we were due to go out so checked if they had a response back from the management - we were advised they did not know when the management were due so still couldn't tell me if I could get any sort of breakfast - eventually I asked if they could at least provide me with a bowl of dry cornflakes and some sachets of milk to take up the room...surely hotels do have this situation at times but the staff there seem to have no authority to make any sort of common sense decision or suggestion. The evening meal was lovely though!

Room Tip: Do not choose twin room number 6
  • Stayed: May 2017, travelled as a couple