Bryn Howel Hotel(Llangollen)
Agoda.com
The Mulberry Inn(Llangollen)
Llangollen Hostel(Llangollen)
TripAdvisor
All reviewswelsh breakfastbit datedreal alean evening meallarge roomone night stayhorseshoe fallslovely foodbrewedtrepidationpostersoapsvalleyvelvetsteam
Reviewed 21 September 2017 via mobile

Visited the Abbey Grange as we passed through Langollen. All three had slow roasted pork belly. Unfortunately the pork was burnt and not very good. On the upside the staff were pleasant, the local welsh dark ale was enjoyable and the snoring bull mastiff, Samson, was amusing. Try the place but be careful of the food.

Stayed: September 2017, travelled with friends
Reviewed 12 September 2017

Myself and 3 friends were booked into Abbey Grange as part of a larger group who were all playing golf at the Vale of Llangollen Golf Club for the weekend. Our room was basic but the bedding was clean. After playing golf on the Saturday afternoon I was looking forward to a nice shower which frankly was very poor. It was no more than a trickle. After a protracted struggle to get ready to go out I went down to the bar. The young girl was very pleasant and served us our drinks. I asked what time breakfast was being served and she replied 08:30. I advised her that we were all due to play golf at 09:00 and would there be a chance that we could have breakfast a little earlier. She said that she would have to ask the manager who was out at the time. As we were out for the evening I asked if they could leave a note under the door with an answer. After a very enjoyable evening in Llangollen we returned to our room to find a note taped on the door advising that they would not be providing us with any breakfast before 08:30. We checked out at 08:00. There was no-one around to speak to regarding a refund with a note on reception asking us to leave our key in a box. I noticed as I was leaving that the food hygiene rating for Abbey Grange was 2 (requiring improvement). Just as well then we didn't get breakfast. Incidentally the breakfast at the golf club was excellent.

• Stayed: September 2017, travelled with friends
1  Thank Neil J
Reviewed 11 September 2017

The room was clean and tidy. I always like a bath. The lady who checked us in was the only friendly part of the stay. It was good to have a kettle and hot drinks on tap but the biscuit ration was very meagre.The water heating system was noisy.
The walls were rather thin. As a consequence of this we were woken before 6am by voices next door. I actually thought it was voices outside so went downstairs and outside to check. So not a sound sleep was enjoyed.
Breakfast was served in a very lack -lustre way - no smiles, no welcome and when more milk was requested, it was just put on the serving table when it would not have taken much more effort to deliver it to our table. There was nobody on hand to bid us goodbye when we left. The place was tired- looking, drab and did not inspire much. I would have been very aggrieved if I had paid the full asking price for this room.Will not be returning. The contrast between our fantastic wedding venue for the day was just too much.

Room Tip: Ask for 4 poster
  • Stayed: September 2017, travelled with friends
Reviewed 5 September 2017

Having walked along the canal from Llangollen to Horseshoe Falls, and then over the Velvet Hill to Valle Crucis, we saw this hotel in the distance, and hoped we could get a drink. It was a sunny, though nor overly warm, August day. The hotel was pretty quiet.
We sat outside on the terrace and enjoyed some local cider. Very refreshing. Some children were playing on the swings in the adjacent playground before lunch was delivered to them and their family. All very rural. And then we returned along the road in the direction of the Abbey – our principal destination for the day – before walking back to Llangollen.
We’re happy to recommend the hotel as a convenient watering stop, but can’t comment on its other facilities.

• Stayed: August 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 2 September 2017

I thought I was going to do the wrong thing by writing this review, but obviously the place has issues.

Downstairs, in the seating/eating areas, and the bar (not the breakfast room) is cluttered and needs a clean.

My room was £60 a night, which is £40 too expensive. The toilet seat was broken underneath. The shower head had to be replaced, which was smaller than the original one, and someone (Bodgit and scarper) had badly screwed the replacement to the wall and forgot to fill in the old holes and paint. The bathroom had had various quick repairs done badly, and had cobwebs, etc.

In the bedroom, there was a freshly large area of the ceiling re-plastered, and not painted. The walls had some previous if not current, damp problems as the wallpaper was peeling of the walls in one corner. There were plenty of cobwebs. The TV was mounted on a wall bracket, and the back of the TV and bracket had not been cleaned for some time, probably since installation.

The bed was terrible. It was a four poster (Self assembly), but made for midgets ! At the bottom was a headboard. I am only 5 feet 10, and my feet touched the bottom headboard, so when i turned in the night, I was woken up by continuously hitting the bottom headboard with my feet. The bed was covered in lace, which meant you couldn't view the TV. Why not have a standard kingsize bed in the room ?
The bed linen, was clean and the mattress comfortable so top marks there.

They have a brewery, and the beer was excellent. 4 pints later I ordered a burger, which came about 45 minutes later, and had obviously been under the heater for ages, it was totally dry. I asked for a replacement, and it came back 5 mins later with one burger, where the previous bad one had x2. the chips had been thrown back into the fryer. I have never eaten such crap chips. So dark brown, that they were rock hard and dry. You could have broken the plate by bashing it with them. I was told they were home made. If this is true then something is going wrong in the kitchen. So I went to bed without any food, as i got a refund for the second failed burger and chips.

I must say, that the young girl behind the bar was friendly, and very accommodating, but she needs some help. There was a continuous door bell ring from the kitchen, for food that was ready, but she had to serve and deliver the food. It got busy and she couldn't do that, so the kitchen kept annoying her with the door bell, food ready bell. Poor girl was doing her best to do both jobs, but the kitchen needs to serve the food while she serves drinks and takes food orders, and keeps everyone happy.

I complained about the room, and the landlady suggested I should leave, which I couldn't due to drink driving. The landlady said if her husband was here, he would throw me out for moaning !

The morning breakfast, was excellent. The range of food and drink available was excellent. Heaps of do it yourself toast, more food than anyone could eat, so 10 out of 10 for that. The coffee was superb.

The place is rather noisy, due to it being a pub with rooms (Not a Hotel), it needs a serious clean, de-cluttering and some better organisation. Someone needs to oversee the quality of the food coming from the kitchen, If they can’t even cook chips right, then get someone who can, however, I won’t be back.

• Stayed: August 2017, travelled solo