“FIVE STAR HOTEL AND EXPERIENCE”

Pont-y-Pair Hotel and Restaurant
Ranked #26 of 47 Betws-y-Coed B&B and Inns
Reviewed 19 March 2017

We stayed for 2 nights at the Ponty-y-Pair Hotel, Saturday and Sunday in March. On arrival on the Satruday night We were greeted by Linda who made us feel so welcome, it was around 7pm and the first thing we noticed was the warm friendly atmosphere in the bar area, it was busy with mixed ages and a really good feel to it. Whilst Linda was checking us in there were a lot of people coming it to eat in the restaurant, obviously popular with the locals as well as visitors.
The hotel is proper traditional and even in the reception area has the original tiled flooring it is really quirky and you can just imagine the times when it was a Inn for the passing, it still has that feel with it whilst being modern as well.
The room we had on the top floor was lovely and inviting, we had fresh towels left on the bed, and tea coffee and biscuits (yum). There was a bathroom with a electric shower, a nice wooded towel rail so everything Iwe needed for our stay. In the bed room there was a small door that led to a lttle cupboard with coat hangers and enough room for my small suitcase. There was a set of drawers too. It was lovely and warm which we needed as it was cold and wet outside . There was also a small oil fill radiator too in the room which we didn't need as it was nice and cosy with the radiator on, what I liked was the room had the original little sash windows to keep with the traditional theme, I like the traditional feel, you certainly get that in abundance here.
Afte we had unpacked and showered, we went downstairs for a meal, there is a seperate restaurant which is a large room with plenty of tables this has a nice feel, there is a large bay window in there so its really light and airy, or you can also eat in the pub side. We chose to eat in the restaurant I had a dish off the specials menu, it was Salmon with crushed potatoes and and sauteed vegetables in a lemon butter sauce, complements to the chef to say it was beautifully presented and tasted amazing is a understatement. My partner had the spicey cauliflower soup which I tried and must say I liked ti so much I asked for the receipe one of the nicest soups I've had, he then had Gammon eggs chips and beans which was a large potion he enjoyed thorougly. They also had a good selection of starters and desserts too but I Just had the main which was a nice healthy portion that didn't leave much room for dessert. The menu is very varied so something for everyone even the little ones, with burger and chips, fish and chips, steaks etc....
After dinner we went into the bar area where we easily found a seat, We really enjoyed the atmosphere in the bar, Linda and Streve who run the Inn where on hand in there and made us feel really welcome, Linda and Steve made the effor to come and sit with us and when we said that we enjoyed walking Steve lent us a copy of a local walking book to help us get to know the area.
On retiring back to the room it was lovely and quiet we were on the back of the hotel overlooking the decked area, didn't hear any noise all night.
After a lovely nights sleep we went down to the restaurant for breakfast, we were warmly greeted by Linda and Steve who are hands on and were serving breakfast, there was another good choice for breakfast, choice of juices, tea, coffee, then choice of cereals, I had the porridge which was scrumy, then choice of hot breakfast including egg, bacon, sausage, black pudding, baked beans, mushrooms and tomatoes, it went down a treat and lasted us all day.
We went out walking early and with the central location of the hotel you don't need a car we found plenty of walking on the door step to fit all types of walkers from hills, fells to flat river walks, we walked right out the hotel down to the church then walked up by the church it was a bit of climb but well worth it as at the top is a wonderful lake that you can walk around it was a wet and windy day and we still enjoyed it, it would be the perfect summer walk with plenty of little benches to sit and eat our sandwiches over looking the lake.
After a full day of walking we returned to the Inn to a warm welcome from Linda and Steve who are always on hand to give you tips of the area and things to do, they know the area really well so pick their brains. Back in the room it had been cleaned with fresh towels and more biscuits..
Dinner that evening was spent in the lovely restaurant dinning room, where I had pork belly with black pudding mash and veg lovely again, my partner had the burger and chips which looked delicous too and filled him it which takes some doing. This time I opted for dessert as the dessert menu looked to tempting I could have had everything on it, but opted for the choclate bread and butter pudding which even now typing this review 2 weeks later I can still taste it, it has got to be one of the most guilty puddings I have ever eaten and believe me I have eaten a lot of puddings all over the world but this has got to be up there with one of best I have ever tasted, it was so rich and tatsy, It's worth the 2 hour drive to just get a portion of it....gorgeous.
The following day we had the same delicious breakfast before we headed out for another walk, this time we went out of the hotel right then left over the pont-y-pair bridge then left at the end of the bridge there there are coloured walks red, green and yellow walks they detail the lenght and type of terrain on the walks so you can choose one that suits you. We did the yellow one the longest and steepest, which was tough but enjoyable well worth pushing yourselves to do as the views are amazing, we also visited swallow falls, on arrival there is a turnstyle and then shutters over the windows so on first inspection it looks like its closed, it was a Monday so we were suprised if it was closed so I went across the road to the Swallow falls pub and was told that it was self service, you put your 1.50 into the meter on the wall and the turnstyle lets you in, not very self explanotory, its a lot of steps down to the falls so make sure you are good on your feet it you do in, but the falls are amazing and worth the trek down, its a very steep climb back up too.
We returned back to the hotel to say goodbye to Linda and Steve they had kindly let us leave our luggage there whilst we had the day walking.
I would 100% recommend a visit and stay to Linda and Steve's Pont-y-Pair Inn, it had everything we could have wished for, amazing atmosphere, top class food, pure comfort rooms, on the door activiites inc walking. pubs, shops ect. They make you feel welcome and it feels like home from home nothing is to much trouble and they genuinly feel happy to have you there, you know you've had a great stay when you don't want to leave and we certainly did't. Will defintely be going back.
Thanks Linda and Steve for a fantastic 2 days.

Room Tip: We had a room on the top floor and the back of the hotel was lovely and quiet.
  • Stayed: March 2017, travelled with friends
1  Thank Lisa W

Reviewed 18 March 2017 via mobile

What a lovely place to stay. The staff are very friendly and welcoming. We stayed for one night, rooms clean and tidy. Bar is great downstairs. You have to try and eat here and the food is bloody amazing!! Linda the owner makes u feel right at home.

1  Thank AmyL130816
Reviewed 17 March 2017

Called in on off chance, they were pretty busy but landlady offered to open up another room for us didn't need to in the end as a gentlemen gave us his table. Lovely overcooked food and decent portions, friendly and helpful staff couldn't fault it.

Reviewed 14 March 2017 via mobile

Have visited Snowdonia twice in last 6 months and came to this pub around 6 times during our visits. Lovely food at reasonable prices. Friendly staff and a pool table (my secret vice). Will be back again!

Stayed: February 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 13 March 2017 via mobile

What a hidden gem this place is. Steve and linda were absolutely wonderful. The food was outstanding. The rooms lovely. They couldn't do enough for us. Will deffinately come back here. Thankyou all. Just brilliant. Merv and sarah Barker.