Lowest prices for your stay
Hotels.com
eDreams
US$83
View deal
Travelocity
Orbitz.com
Trip.comUS$92
All reviews afternoon tea main building sandwiches belly pork wedding reception evening meal venue
Selected filters
Reviewed 30 September 2019 via mobile

My Mum and I stayed last night for one night. We booked the room through booking.com about a week ago. We were down visiting a family member in hospital so just needed somewhere decent to get some food and lay our head for the night. We could tell when booking the hotel on the site that the hotel was recently refurbished.

On arrival (we were able to park in the hotel car park) we were greeted by Marcel who was friendly and welcoming and offered to carry our luggage and show us to the room. He took us to a corridor and apologised that there was some building materials leaning up against the wall along the landing as he explained the rooms were in the process of being refurbished.

On opening the room, we were immediately struck by the fact that the room was one that had yet to be refurbished. Marcel left us alone and on inspecting the room it was clean, as was the bathroom but we were very disappointed as it was not what we were expecting. We also noticed upon entering how cold the room was and on closer expectation, I noticed that there was about half an inch gap at both the top and bottom of the windows where it did not meet the edges. I totally respect that it’s an old building but with the weather having recently turned and with it due to rain in the night (as it turned out it was a filthy night and rained constantly throughout) I was worried about us getting ill by being so cold at night especially my elderly mother.

I went down to speak to Marcel about my disappointment and he was brilliant and explained they have a sister hotel up the road that has been refurbished and he would move us there with no additional charge. I went back up to the room to explain to my mum to gather our things when he knocked on the room and explained that we could in fact stay in a newly refurbished room on site without moving. This room was two rooms down from the original room...what a difference!

He said the room was not quite finished (they were still waiting to install a phone) however it was essentially ready for use with the bed made, towels ready etc. I’m pleased to say that the room and bathroom was amazing...comfy bed, great shower. Once the whole hotel has been refurbished it will be amazing and I love the direction it’s going in.

We had a table booked for dinner and the restaurant was about half full when we sat (we had a drink in the bar beforehand). They have a good selection of drinks on offer and the wine list was good. The food was also really good with a decent enough choice and all cooked from fresh by the chef. Marcel continued to serve us in the restaurant alongside Charlotte and both were very attentive whilst obviously busy looking after other guests.

When we decided to head for bed, Marcel caught us on the stairs and said he wanted to offer us breakfast free of charge and advised us of the timing in the morning. This was a really nice surprise and not something we were expecting given he has resolved my complaint about the room quickly and efficiently.

There was a good choice of different breakfast meals alongside juices, fresh fruit salad and cereals etc so it is definitely worth paying for.

On checking out, Charlotte was there to see us out and once again was attentive and wished us a good day.

I would absolutely stay here again as the staff were warm, professional and dealt so well with our initial disappoint. Next time
I will phone up to ensure we’re in a room that has been updated. I understand hotels cannot close whilst refurbs take place but my review would have been very different if we’d had to stay in the first room we were given!!!

Trip type: Travelled with family
Reviewed 22 September 2019 via mobile

Very friendly staff. We got the Garden Lodge which has a living area downstairs and the bedroom upstairs. Very nice and cosy. Helpful accommodating staff. Nice breakfast. Could do with new mattresses. Other than that all good.

Reviewed 14 September 2019 via mobile

We stayed here after a recommendation as we were playing golf at Royal Porthcawl. The room was very clean and lovely decorated. The dinner and breakfast were fantastic such great value. I would definately recommend eating at the hotel. The staff were very polite and accommodating.

Reviewed 22 July 2019

Not a great place. Arrived about 6.00pm after a big day, no hot water until next morning. We had to go down to the reception to ask for the heaters to be turned on in the rooms, it was freezing. The brochures advertised using pictures of an operational kitchen. All of the kitchen cooking appliances had been disconnected altogether. The Wi Fi did not work at all in our room, we had to go down to the foyer to get a signal. We were made promises that it would be fixed, but no cigar!,....So annoying. Many of the channels on the TV were pixelated with poor reception. I have travelled many countries, this is the first time I have been so disappointed with accommodation that I felt the need to write this note. In my view a very second rate operation for the fee asked.

Room tip: too expensive for service
Date of stay: July 2019
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
1  Thank BlackDogRider
Reviewed 19 July 2019 via mobile

We stayed over after a family funeral. The bedroom was nice, the bathroom needed a refurb, but was clean and functional. The 3 course evening meal was terrific and excellent value. Breakfast was very nice. Staff were friendly and very accommodating.

Date of stay: July 2019