“Very bad experience - feel robbed of £100”

Marco Pierre White Steakhouse Bar & Grill Cardiff
Ranked #196 of 1,243 Restaurants in Cardiff
Price range: US$11 - US$39
Description: Take a trip up to the Marco Pierre White Steakhouse rooftop restaurant and bar, and you'll experience a classic British menu with some truly delectable steaks, perfectly paired with tantalising cocktails. Our team pride themselves on delivering a memorable experience, with great food and an unforgettable ambiance. Visit one of our 2 terrace areas for a welcome breath of fresh air as you hear the sounds of live music beating from the heart of the bar. You can expect live music every week - the perfect way to make the most of your dining and drinking experience. Our exclusive private dining room is set to be the perfect place for an intimate celebration in the city
Reviewed 22 May 2021

I’m usually easily pleased and wouldn’t complain but this was the worst experience I have had yet!

1. Wouldn’t serve me alcohol due to no ID (I’m 23) - I was absolutely fine with this, I understand it’s the law. My partner ordered himself a wine (of which I had a couple sips) a member of staff approached our table with a loud voice stating that they had been watching me take sips of the wine and that I was no longer allowed to drink it. In my perspective it came across as rude and embarrasing in public.

2. We had to ask to order more drinks every time, no member of staff approached us to ask if we would like more.

3. Ordered two steaks medium rare, both came rare (in pictures) they did apologise and said they would put it back on the bill - they only refunded 1.

4. We were using a £100 gift voucher for this meal gifted as a Christmas present. After all that had happened we wanted to leave and go elsewhere. We wanted to have a refund or put it back on the gift card. We were told we couldn’t do that so was inclined into buying a dessert hoping at least one thing from there was worth paying for with our voucher. Cheesecake was powdery and not enjoyable.

5. They charged us additionally for 2 drinks and a meal we didn’t eat (the steak).

ALL IN ALL - this is suppose to be a Michelin star restaurant and I feel absolutely robbed of £100 my mum kindly gifted us for Christmas.

Date of visit: May 2021
2  Thank georgia_finnigan
MPW Cardiff, General Manager at Marco Pierre White Steakhouse Bar & Grill Cardiff, responded to this reviewResponded 11 June 2021

Hi Georgia,

Thanks for taking the time to get in touch, I'm very apologetic that you felt you had such a poor experience in the restaurant.

You've already been in touch via email so I look forward to your response.

Many thanks

Victoria

Write a reviewReviews (1,163)

Reviewed 14 December 2020

Visited here as Hotel Indigo guests. We were very impressed by the excellent food quality, plush surroundings & superb service of the staff. The calamari & French onion soup starters were delicious. Fillet steak main was cooked to perfection. The cheesecake & toffee pudding deserts were aso good.
Our full Welsh breakfast, the next day was also faultless.
Highly recommend this charming restaurant.

Date of visit: December 2020
Reviewed 28 November 2020

Booked for afternoon tea as part of Celebration. Sandwiches not very fresh. Edges crusty. Lemon cake not fresh, hard around edges. Service very poor seated and left. Asked many times for coffee refills finally came 25 minutes after first asking. Scones stale unable to eat. Waitress said she would get fresh scone only to return 5 minutes later to say they didn’t have anymore. We have eaten many times here but this visit greatly disappointed. I think try another restaurant as obviously loyalty doesn’t pay.

4  Thank 615wayne
MPWCardiffsteakhouse, General Manager at Marco Pierre White Steakhouse Bar & Grill Cardiff, responded to this reviewResponded 30 November 2020

Hey 615wayne,

Thanks so much for taking time to leave a review, I'm so very sorry you and your wife were disappointed on your visit. I know you were dining for an anniversary celebration and I'm very sorry about this.
I see you've been before and left 5* reviews as you clearly enjoyed your time with us frequently. I can assure you our guests are exceptionally important to us and I do hope you will dine again in the future.

Sincerest apologies again

Reviewed 26 November 2020

Went here as we were staying in the lovely indigo hotel. The scotch egg starter was lovely and that was that I ordered the shepherds pie and it looked like pastry on top but it was actually potato there was very little meat and what there was tasted very sweet. My other half had the pork which he said was pretty tough. We then opted for the cheese and biscuits but the cheese could have doubled as a door stopper it was hard and dry, I did ask what cheese it was and I was told cheddar ermm are you sure. Next morning we asked for the full Welsh breakfast when it arrived there was no larva bread on it when we asked where it was we were told they didn't have any. The staff were very polite and friendly and a credit to the company, just a shame about the food

5  Thank Leannehayley
Reviewed 23 November 2020 via mobile

We visited here Saturday evening. Lush food and the staff were exceptional.
The scotch egg starter is amazing and Chicken main course is gorgeous.
Bravo to all the team

Hey Goodfellamike,

Thanks so much for your fab review! Amazed to see you all had a wonderful time with us and look forward to seeing you again!