“Old fashioned with Cointreau ! It’s a new one on me ………”

Marco Pierre White Steakhouse Bar & Grill Cardiff
Ranked #202 of 1,239 Restaurants in Cardiff
Price range: US$11 - US$40
Description: Take a trip up to the Marco Pierre White Steakhouse rooftop restaurant and bar, and you'll experience a classic British menu with some truly delectable steaks, perfectly paired with tantalising cocktails. Our team pride themselves on delivering a memorable experience, with great food and an unforgettable ambiance. Visit one of our 2 terrace areas for a welcome breath of fresh air as you hear the sounds of live music beating from the heart of the bar. You can expect live music every week - the perfect way to make the most of your dining and drinking experience. Our exclusive private dining room is set to be the perfect place for an intimate celebration in the city
Reviewed 12 September 2021 via mobile

Arrived at 7.30pm prompt. Placed between 2 large groups who were very noisy and asked to be moved. No problem - moved to mate central location. Drinks did not arrive for 45 minutes. G&T served in a highball glass ? And an old fashioned server with more orange segments than a Del Monte cocktail! On sampling - it was not correct. Was informed it was made with “whisky, bourbon and Cointreau !) hence the colour and the taste. Advised that it should be made with bourbon only, informed by waiter that this is how they serve it here. Sent back and stuck with water . They can’t mess that up! Starters arrived after an hour, prawn cocktail and french onion soup. Very nice. Mains of 2 x fillet steaks arrived shortly afterwards, mine with spinach. Sadly it had grit in it. I really didn’t want to complain again, but hey ho ! It’s £30 for a main….. waiter whisked it away, just get rid of the spinach I said - just re-plate the rest. Manager appeared and said that all produce is washed, I must be mistaken as it was probably pepper corns ! I think I know the difference in taste and texture lady …….. anyway, replaced as requested and all ok. I must say though the peppercorn sauce was very mild and the seasoning on the steak not great - but it was cooked superbly (medium).

Deserts followed which was ok, cheesecake and cheeseboard.

£128 including the 10% service charge added on.

Sadly - it’s an overpriced Miller and Carter, with delusions of grandeur. Some plonker even asked if Marco was in the kitchen cooking ! Get a grip.

Wouldn’t go back as poor service, food average and not what Mr White would expect. It’s not doing anything for the MPW brand apart from the royalty payment.

Date of visit: September 2021
2  Thank Traveler20221129178
MPW Cardiff, General Manager at Marco Pierre White Steakhouse Bar & Grill Cardiff, responded to this reviewResponded 15 September 2021

Hi Johnathan,

Thanks for taking the time to leave a review. I also remember all of your feedback on the evening.

I did apologise that yes, the bartender on the evening did make your old fashioned incorrectly, this was an honest mistake and I don't think that deserves him being told he needs to get another job. You did not stick to water, I offered to make you a fresh drink and you said it was superb.

Once again, all of the spinach is washed. No, there was not any crunchy dirt in your meal. I took the meal back to the chef and he was a bit baffled to be honest. Since you had ordered the Filet au poivre, which is covered in peppercorn sauce and peppercorns. I suggested that the 'crunchy' spinach may be getting the crunch from the peppercorns over the meal. Thank you for saying it was cooked superbly.

I don't really think it's very kind to insult other guests referring to them as a 'plonker' and telling them to 'get a grip'. We ensure we are polite to staff and guests alike and would expect our guests to do the same.

I, like many really enjoy Miller and Carter, and think they they are a lovely place to visit.

I also think the service you received, was excellent. I insisted to my team on taking over serving your table as you had already insulted the bartender, another guest and a server. I checked back frequently, asking about drinks and your food and there were no issues. I also stood and took payment for your meal and tried to make polite conversation.
We also made sure your wife had a lovely happy birthday plate for her dessert.

I'm sorry you don't feel we are up to the standard you require.

Victoria

Write a reviewReviews (1,123)

Reviewed 27 August 2021

Stayed at Indigo in July on reopening and forgave the pathetic service in the MPW restaurant, but tonight a new low. Staying at Indigo went for cocktails at 5 and were ignored for 15 minutes so went to the bar and ordered. Due to very poor experience in July and poor experience so far today decided to eat elsewhere. Came back to the bar at 10.30 to be told sorry we are closed. 12 other people we spoke to in reception said the same. This place is really dragging Indigo down, will stay somewhere else in the future with its own professional bar and restaurant.

3  Thank D3882UTstever

HI D3882Utstever,

Thanks for taking the time to leave a review, I'm extremely sorry you had a poor experience with us.

I can assure you we are doing our very best in these difficult times to give our guests a great experience however sometimes we do fall short on this at the moment. We're doing our best to recruit an amazing team and give all of our guests the 5* experience.

Once again, my sincerest apologies.

Reviewed 27 August 2021

I went for lunch with my friend we have not seen each other for long time because of Covid we had a lovely Lunch good food in a relaxed atmosphere ,the staff were very friendly and helpful checked with us few times to see we had everything we needed without being overpowering we could take our time not hurried at all I would go here again.

Hi Pat O,

Thanks so much for the lovely review, so glad you and your friends had a fab catch up and look forward to seeing you again in the future.

Reviewed 26 August 2021 via mobile

Lovely three course meal here last night (Wednesday). We were a bit skeptical after reading the previous reviews however now wondering if they actually visited the same restaurant.

All of the staff were friendly. The food was cooked to perfection, we loved the crispy chips! I’d recommend the sticky toffee pudding, the ice cream just topped it off!

If I had to be picky I’d prefer to have my peppercorn sauce with the signature steak receiving separate rather than already on the plate but that’s just personal preference.

There was a service charge on the bill which if I’m honest I’m not a fan of as although usually optional it does make you feel a little awkward to take off. Much prefer to tip appropriately.

Hi N-11x,

Thanks so much for taking the time to leave a review, I'm so glad you enjoyed your time with us. I happen to be a massive fan of the chunky chips as well.
Ah if you had asked we would have happily served your sauce on the side, please always speak up to your server. We genuinely, would like you to tell us what you would like and enhance your experience rather than a couple of niggly details detract from it.

I do hope you will visit us again in the future.

Reviewed 20 August 2021

Delicious food that is worth the money. Best chips ever! Friendly and attentive staff. Can only recommend.

Hey richgF6609HH,

Thanks so much for the faboo review!

See you very soon I hope? Live music and drinks in our lounge on a Saturday night maybe?

Look forward to seeing you again.