“Useful dog friendly budget stay with everything you need ”

Campanile Hotel Cardiff
Ranked #57 of 74 Hotels in Cardiff
Reviewed 3 April 2016 via mobile

I came down to Cardiff for a job interview and my husband and I thought it would be nice to make a weekend of it and bring the dog for some walks in Wales. We were pleased to find campanile was cheap per room and only £5 extra charge for the dog. Other hotels charge around 20 per night which makes a budget hotel not so budget if you have the dog so very reasonable. Campanile hotels are often in the style of an American motel with a door that opens to the outside. I quite like this set up as it feels more like an apartment I suppose, but maybe not so good if you get cold easily! The restaurant is OK, a bit like Wetherspoons and is also cheap. I am not going to say the food or hotel rooms are spectacular but they did the job and the staff were very friendly. Like most campanile it is located on an industrial estate type area which makes it excellent for a work stay and tends to be easy to find with good transport links. I would really recommend it for dog owners and anyone looking for a budget stay if you're looking for luxury and spectacular views then you should probably expect to pay more than 45 quid a night

Stayed: February 2016, travelled as a couple
GMCardiff, General Manager at Campanile Hotel Cardiff, responded to this reviewResponded 29 May 2016

Dear Mandwhy,
Thank you for taking the time to leave your comments regarding your recent stay here at the Campanile Hotel in Cardiff. I am happy that you stay was comfortable and great for you and for your little company and yes we are pet friendly hotel. We do consider the restaurant and our service the heart of our business and I'm so glad they matched if not exceeded your expectations. Also, I would reiterate that next time you have dinner at our restaurant too as our menu is vast and caters to all the palates.
I will pass on your comments regarding the staff to the team. We do hope you will come and stay again with us in the future and the whole team is already looking forward to welcoming you once again.

Reviewed 27 March 2016

Very helpful and friendly staff. Very comfortable and clean rooms, food at hotel is a very high standard including the gluten free options too. ☆☆☆☆☆ i would definitely highly recommend this hotel to others and i look forward in returning myself. Many thanks to all the management and staff!

• Stayed: March 2016, travelled on business
Reviewed 16 March 2016

The room was reasonably new, the bed was clean and comfortable with lovely linen. The room and bathroom itself were clean, functional and had everything we needed. The staff were friendly. This hotel was also excellently priced!

• Stayed: March 2016, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 10 March 2016 via mobile

Bed was big and super comfy and the room was a decent size with plenty of mirrors which is ideal for people staying and going out in Cardiff.
Our problem however was the bathroom.it looked as though someone had just come in , glanced around and deemed it clean enough for the next set of guests. There were pubic hairs on the bathroom door as well as random strands of hair dotted about the bathroom, on top of this the shower leaked out of the sides of the head meaning you had to take a bath in a small tub. Unfortunately I doubt we'd be back because of this as it failed on a pretty basic hygiene level.
A side note also, we used the taxi firm advertised in the foyer and the back of the key cards and we were told by the driver that we must use that company on the way back or we will be over charged and only this company would give us a fair price,to the point where it was almost overbearing as in the relitively short journey we were told this on loop. Although not the hotel's fault necessarily, it might be something to bare in mind if you are planning on going out in the evening.

Stayed: March 2016, travelled as a couple
1  Thank bottledwaternom
Reviewed 3 March 2016 via mobile

Good points
Nice clean room
Friendly staff helpfull
Nice food

Avarage points
Food bit expensive for quantity.
Steep slope from reception to the rooms so maybe hard for wheelchairs
Free WiFi is only for first 30 minutes
If caught smoking in the room it's £50 charge and no I didn't get the charge
Location not to bad to get to from M4 or Cardiff

Bad points
None

Stayed here for a night to catch up with friends. Arrived to warm friendly welcome checked in to the room which was warm as I requested when booking to have the heating on. Bathroom and towels were clean. Bath bit on the short side but deep.
Bedroom nice and clean sheets clean bed really comfortable. Went to the restaurant for food ordered steak pie which came with French beans and carrot suede potatoe mash and gravy in a pot. The food arrived the beans and gravy were cold I explained to the manager who apologised and went to get fresh instead of taking the plate to warm it up great service. When paying I was told I had a free drink for the inconvenience with my food.
Had a great sleep and hot shower before going for breakfast which was a little bit of a let down with the amount of food on offer and the amount in the full breakfast.

All in all nice place to stay

Stayed: March 2016, travelled with friends