“A really well thought out Asian restaurant.”
Review of Purple Poppadom

Purple Poppadom
Reserve with OpenTable
Purple Poppadom is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #35 of 1,294 Restaurants in Cardiff
Price range: US$33 - US$60
Cuisines: Indian
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Delivery, Reservations, Takeout
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Delivery, Reservations, Takeout
Reviewed 25 August 2016

Our visit was to celebrate a friend's 60th birthday so it had to be special. He did not disappoint us as the birthday boy had done his homework. We all chose the tasting menu with matched wines for each course. This cost £65 but there again, you don't reach the age of 60 every day of the week! The head chef and owners' have obviously put a lot of thought into this type of dining and they did not disappoint. Naturally no Indian wines were served but the matching was extremely well planned.

This is not a romantically located restaurant but that was not the idea of our visit. If you think you have tried every curry going, try this one for a change. Not cheap but really special and well patronized.

Reviewed 14 August 2016 via mobile

Great service terrific food affordable wine
Blend Indian flavours in a new kind of delivery very exciting
Hard to fault but who is trying
Toilets clean fresh and accessible

Reviewed 13 August 2016

"Fine dining" and "Indian restaurant" are not two phrases that you can often put together, unless you've visited Purple Poppadom. I've wanted to check this restaurant out for quite a while, having seen the great reviews in various papers and on review sites? Finally managed to visit with two friends for a birthday celebration, and was not disappointed. We had the chefs tasting menu with matching wines and it was a whole new experience in Indian food. Service was attentive and excellent, and the meal a sensation of beautifully cooked spices and textures. The sea bass second course was a triumph, with a sauce so delicious I wanted to lick the plate clean! If your idea of a good "curry house" is somewhere you go to at the end of the evening after a skin full of booze, then the Purple Poppadom is probably not for you. But, if you like fantastic food, beautifully presented in sensible size portions with subtle taste sensations, to be savoured and enjoyed in good company and in tastefully decorated surroundings, you'll find Purple Poppadom hard to beat. This is fine dining at reasonable cost, a six course tasting menu with matched wines for £65pp is very good value, given the very high standard achieved. Already looking forward to visiting again and trying the al a carte menu.

Reviewed 9 August 2016 via mobile

I was hoping the PP would live up to expectations and it certainly did.
The welcome was warm and the restaurant really tastefully laid out.
The staff were friendly and helpful in suggesting different dishes and their recommendations were spot on.
I had the calamari and it was easily the nicest I have had - and the portion was really generous. My makhani chicken to follow was delicious and markedly better than the run of the mill takeaway equivalent.
My husband chose a chicken three ways starter followed by a special of the house which also featured two types of chicken plus salad, sauce and a mint sorbet.
The desserts were the weakest course but still lovely - we chose the pineapple and the duo of creme brûlées. The rose flavour was yummy but the garam masala was a bit strange. Personal taste though.
We were pleasantly surprised by the bill - £90 which included a 10 per cent service charge. We had had a glass of prosecco, two large beers, three courses plus naan bread, poppadoms and chutneys. For such a lovely experience with beautifully presented and delicious dishes and excellent service we were more than happy with the bill.
I'm already planning what I'll eat on the next visit.

Reviewed 6 August 2016 via mobile

We visited here as a group of four for a birthday treat. Two people had the tasting menu and two just the standard menu. The food was really nice, quite different to normal curry, mainly in the lightness and seeming lack of intense garlic, but despite this, we all felt it was overpriced. I had the vegetarian platter for my main (aka a thali) which was £19 and consisted of four small but delicious vegetarian dishes, a tiny naan and a small portion of rice. I do not have a big appetite but easily finished this after a good number of poppadoms and tasters of my friends' dishes. I was left feeling unsated. So that £19 was too much...
The service was generally good but there was a really grumpy seeming waitress that again detracted from our special meal. Would go again but would be careful what we picked to reduce the bill. (£190/4 people)