“Great for a takeaway lunch”

French Village Botanic
Ranked #103 of 1,193 Restaurants in Belfast
Cuisines: Cafe
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Delivery, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed 6 July 2018 via mobile

Went here a good few times during my time at uni in Belfast. Takeaway lunch is really quick and is moderately priced. Great range of sandwiches and toasties as well as hot food such as soup or baked potatoes. There is also sit in facilities although they are veey busy at lunch time.

Reviewed 5 July 2018

Popped in here for lunch one day before heading to the airport for a flight (hence time was an important factor). The place is very popular, but we thankfully got a table for two relatively quickly.

There weren't enough staff to deal with how busy the place was. I can't blame individual staff members for that, they were friendly and helpful, but they were struggling. After eventually getting our food, it was very nice. We both enjoyed our lunch and the atmosphere of the restaurant. However, even paying at the end took longer than it should have. One needs to go to the counter to pay, but there was only one person managing this and the queue was quite long.

I will be back again, because I liked the food and service, but please get more staff working on busy lunchtime periods!

Reviewed 4 July 2018

I took breakfast here four times during my visit to Queens Quarter. It was close to my hotel but I returned for the food, the ambience, and especially the tea. It was a good place just to sit, be, and begin my day. The servers were all friendly but not intrusive. I can only comment on breakfast -- but for breakfast for me it was perfect.

Reviewed 1 July 2018

This bustling bistro on the corner of Botanic Avenue and University Street, is very popular, often with queues awaiting entry. The food is fresh, simple, scrumptious, and attractively presented. The staff are welcoming and responsive. It’s really good value for money.

Reviewed 1 July 2018

We went to the French Village Botanic on the basis of a strong recommendation from our hotel staff. Sadly, it did not have French cuisine, though the cooking was not bad and even inventive. We both had a nice sweet potato and leek soup with lovely, heavy dark bread. My wife added an Asian pork belly cooked in a Japanese style, that she enjoyed. We each tried a vegetarian main course and these had some flair. I had a pea and shallot ravioli with young broccoli and other vegetables. My wife had a charred cauliflower, spinach and onion puree risotto. Both showed some creativity and both were tasty. Yet, overall, the dishes consistently had just a bit too much salt. I would like to praise the young service staff who were uniformly friendly and helpful. One final note, French Village Botanic does not sell alcoholic beverages, though we were told that we could bring our own. The price was also not too expensive. French Village Botanic in Belfast is a good place for a not-bad meal, but the food is not super.