4 people are viewing this hotel
Lock in the lowest price from these sites
Expedia.comUS$88
PricelineUS$88
Hotels.comUS$88
Official Hotel SiteUS$99
TravelocityUS$88
Orbitz.comUS$88
1,018 results
All reviews national holidays sea view dining room shearings coach trip evening entertainment restaurant staff superior room breakfast was buffet style reception staff sea front long journey hotel is situated single room bay lift ferry scotland
Selected filters
Reviewed 27 August 2021

We stayed here for a week, on arrived had to pay £48 for parking was shocked as I didn't read this on booking room was basic , but clean , was told cleaners can't come in room while covid is here but if we needed anything to just ask we did and got all that we needed,views where lovely from room, breakfast good and staff were very helpful

Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Vicki Glen, General Manager at Great Western Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 29 August 2021

Dear M3994CTsusanm,
Thank you for sharing your review. I'm pleased to see we ticked the box throughout. As our parking is limited and all local parking is chargeable we find it fairer to charge for our parking as it is not a facility we can offer to all.

Reviewed 25 August 2021 via mobile

y friend and I booked this hotel some months ago. We were looking for a decent hotel, with good facilities and thought this filled the bill unfortunately it did not.
We paid just over £250 each for a 2 night stay and were somewhat shocked to find that this did not include breakfast.
Despite booking together my friend was given a room the second first floor while I was placed on the 3rd. Both bedrooms were shabby and worn facilities were very basic. My bathroom was very basic, with mould on the grouting and some corners that I chose not to explore. The shower was held up by a rubber band and constantly moved while in use ensuring the floor and walls were given more of a shower than me. My friends room wasn't much better but she had the 'bonus of having a window
that didn't open- great in 28 degrees with no air con. There were water damage marks on the walls in the public areas and in our bedrooms, the carpets were threadbare in places and there was a smell of dampness throughout the hotel.

When we realised breakfast was not included, we booked and paid extra forti have it on our first morning and it was awful. The restaurant manager was curt
bordering on rude, gave no words of welcome and made us feel we were am inconvenience We were served stewed tea, given the wrong breakfasts and generally very poorly served by a very harrased staff who seemed to be constantly berated by the manager despite running around madly trying to serve a full restaurant
chose to have breakfast at a local cafe the next day where it was half the price and of a much higher standard.
The great Westerns redeeming points are a spectacular view and a pleasant lounge area.

I fully appreciate that the past 2 years have been challenging in the hospitality trade but the decline in this hotel has been going on longer than Covid
I further appreciate the difficulties securing staff and

keeping them during the pandemic.
I truly believe The Great Western desperately need to review their prices reducing them substantially to reflect the substandard facilities they offer.
Sorry Great Western, my friend and I were completely unimpressed and will not return nor recommend

Date of stay: July 2021
Trip type: Travelled with friends
Vicki Glen, General Manager at Great Western Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 25 August 2021

Dear GlasgowGirlG78,
We appreciate all feedback, both good and bad, as it helps us to continually improve the services we offer and ultimately the guest experience. Having recently re-opened under new ownership we are fully committed to the refurbishment of many areas of our hotel over the coming months. Your comments regarding our team in the restaurant and indeed our restaurant manager surprise me greatly as my team are usually highly praised across all of our review portals and this is not the standard of service we strive to offer. I will implement some refresher training as a matter of urgency.
These are indeed difficult times for the hospitality industry along with many others and we would hope that should you chose to stay with us again in the future, either here or at another Coast and Country Hotels Collection location you would enjoy a better experience.

Reviewed 23 August 2021

Returned yesterday from this hotel we had a very nice stay. Food was very good and staff were very pleasant and very helpful. We had a sea view room which was very nice. Would be happy to return to this hotel.

Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Vicki Glen, General Manager at Great Western Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 23 August 2021

Dear Maps284490,
Thank you for sharing your review. I'm pleased to see we ticked the box throughout and you would happily stay with us again in the future which we look forward to.

Reviewed 23 August 2021 via mobile

We stayed at the Best Western Hotel a few weeks ago & was allocated room 315 which had amazing views across the bay, absolutely beautiful at night too but of oh my how disappointed we were with the room.

The room was very basic but definitely not clean, the dust under the radiator was about an inch thick, marks on the carpet, cobwebs on the ceiling & the floorboards creaked no matter where you walked.
The bed was so uncomfortable & had a very thin mattress which the springs were nearly poking through, it made so much noise when you turned over.
The bathroom was terrible, the shower didn't stay in position it kept moving to the side, the dust underneath the sink was unbelievable, it 4eally does need a full new suite in there.
The diningroom looked lovely as you walked in for beakfast/dinner but on further inspection the carpet in some places was threadbare.
The carpet on the stairs to all levels was also threadbare.
All in all the owners of this hotel really need to do a full refurbishment, such a shame as it is a beautiful building with amazing views.

The staff were fantastic & couldn't do enough to help you, they were very friendly & courteous & the food was also nice.

I will return in the future at some point in the hope that it has been given a much needed upgrade.

Dear 820sheenam,
I have reported this review to be changed to the correct property as we are the Great Western not the Best Western.
Kind regard
Vicki

Reviewed 21 August 2021 via mobile

Alas a very disappointing stay. This hotel has been run down to the absolute minimum you should expect. For £89/room of which we had two, I was horrified to find active mould in both rooms, actually from the ceilings down the wall above the bed, significant water damage to all communal halls and ceilings, very noisy plumping in the radiator and coming from the ancient corroded bath every time the bathroom sink tap was run, a bathroom window that persistently opened and slammed shut which had been braced with an old loo roll, stained carpets… appreciate pandemic closure but this place was dated well before 2019 and highlights persistent and long term lack of investment. Simply couldn’t recommend to paying customers but would recommend a H&S review. Sorry.

Room tip: Stay elsewhere
Trip type: Travelled with family
Vicki Glen, General Manager at Great Western Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 21 August 2021

I'm sorry to see you were disappointed during your stay, Following a lengthy closedown period and re-opening under new ownership, we are fully committed to the refurbishment/refreshment of many areas of our hotel over the coming months. I do find your comments rather harsh as although we do have some areas showing signs of water damage from external issues (which we are working hard to eliminate), this is certainly not in all areas of the hotel. Again I am sorry you were disappointed and wish you well in your future travels.