All reviews one night public rooms are booked dinner ferry terminal dining room lovely hotel small hotel fresh fruit sea view overlooking oban bay comfortable beds quiet location scallops small room bed and breakfast lovely room lovely view
Reviewed 11 May 2018 via mobile

We have been visiting the Manor House in Oban for many years now.
It s always a first stop before going out to the Islands and a first stop before returning home again.
It is always a hotel of great quality.
The rooms and the views are quality. The restaurant delivers food of great quality. The service and attention given by all staff is of great quality.
I am already looking forward to a return visit next year.
I can not recommend this hotel and it’s staff highly enough.

1  Thank PeterS782
PLCrane, Owner at Manor House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 13 May 2018

Thank you for your lovely review. It is very important to us. We look forward to seeing you again!

Reviewed 6 May 2018

We stayed one night and loved the hotel with our room's view of the habour. Lovely hotel. Staff were charming, breakfast was delicious but...we didn't like being forced to sit in the bar awaiting our dinner, we'd have preferred to be given the choice to go straight in. That was a minor irritation. The food at dinner was excellent until the main course. We both had chicken, and it was cold. We asked for the food to be warmed up, but the chicken came back tepid. At check out we commented on this to be told that we were not the only guests who had found this. Apparently the chef had been told, we were assured it would not happen again, but we were not given any discount. We gave the staff every opportunity to do this. We don't really care that we are instrumental in reeducating the staff! Our disappointment was magnified by this behaviour. One star overall to reflect this, which is a shame. However when the dinner has been ruined by a cold main course we expect some recompense to reflect this. For this reason I have given one star overall, which does not really reflect the quality of the hotel.

Date of stay: May 2018
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
3  Thank Ann_Orac
PLCrane, Owner at Manor House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 23 May 2018

“I am terribly sorry that your entrée was not up to standard. We are glad you spoke up about it. While the staff did apologize and try to correct the situation, I agree they should not have charged you for the main course. We would like to credit you if you could contact us.

When I read through your other 1 star experiences, I was flabbergasted you rated us similarly when you start by saying you “loved the hotel”. These ratings are very important to us and we work hard to maintain them. Mistakes will happen and we try to make amends as we are doing now”.

Reviewed 26 April 2018 via mobile

All reviews on TripAdvisor are subjective and, as I have certainly not stayed in every hotel in Scotland, some may say I cannot make that statement. However, as this is my personal view I will say that I can.
This is a small, homely and cosy hotel that I love. Yes, the rooms are small but this is a historic building which has been maintained to a very high standard. The rooms are cosy with very comfortable beds (I have been into 5 of them over the years). The furnishing and decoration is tasteful and in keeping with the age of the house. The rooms are spotlessly clean.
There are nice touches to the room like chocolates, fresh fruit, biscuits and bottled water.
The staff are first class, friendly, polite and efficient. The breakfasts are a joy with lots of choice. The restaurant, bar and lounges are super (see separate report for the restaurant).
I love coming to this hotel it is an absolute joy. I am writing this two days in to a four night stay as it is raining, but this is the first full days rain of my 16 night stay in Scotland so do not be put off coming to Scotland and do not be put off staying at the Manor House as I can highly recommend it. You also have great views of Oban Bay, can watch the boats coming in and out and you are only a short walk from Oban.
The Best Hotel in Scotland? For me, Yes.

Trip type: Travelled as a couple
PLCrane, Owner at Manor House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 27 April 2018

Thank you for your lovely comment. We look forward to your coming again!

Reviewed 25 April 2018

This is such a nice hotel. We moved here from the truly dreadful Royal hotel in Oban. The charming and super efficient Eddie, who fixed us a room , made the whole experience easy and demonstrated skills which are usually only found in five star hotels. The hotel itself could be used as a location for filming. You could almost see Miss Marple adjusting her paper in the common spaces. The bedrooms are quaint and country house but also immaculately clean and very well maintained. We didn’t eat here in the evening but the breakfast was great. All in all, this hotel is wonderful and well worth a visit.

Trip type: Travelled as a couple
PLCrane, Owner at Manor House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 25 April 2018

Thank you for writing. We are glad you enjoyed yourselves. Hopefully you will come again and join us for our award wining dinner.

Reviewed 25 April 2018

A really lovely experience with comfortable beds and room with a great sea view.
Wonderful food and bar. Reasonably priced. With just 11 rooms there’s a high level of helpful service. A very traditional place, I would usually prefer more a more modern menu but I couldn’t fault it. Oban is a great town and just a few minutes walk away.
Stay there, you won’t regret it.

Room tip: Sea view is great
Trip type: Travelled as a couple

Thank you for helping others learn about the Manor House. We hope to see you again.