1,992 results
All reviewshot tuboban bayspa facilitiescrerar hotelssteam roomset menueasy breakswaiting staffdinner bed and breakfaststornoway black puddingdining roomshort breaka bit tiredsea viewnight breaklounge areaa lovely stay
Reviewed 11 May 2018 via mobile

With the exception of the Manager, who was unfailingly polite and helpful, this hotel has a serious problem with staff.
The service in the restaurant is very poor. The first time I had breakfast, the head waitress was downright rude. The second time, after I eventually stood up and waved at a passing waitress after being ignored for ten minutes (it was not busy) she suggested not being served was my fault. I only had time for a coffee, which was perhaps fortunate, as the breakfast I’d had the previous day was poor: tinned mushrooms, tasteless vegetarian sausages, over cooked cold scrambled eggs. I managed to get served eventually, after giving my order twice, the following morning.
I ate in the restaurant once in the evening and found the service dire and the food mediocre.
My room was OK apart from the broken shower. I had to shower in their “spa” on my second morning, and asked them to fix it. I didn’t bother to ask them to fix the TV in the room which would not tune in, because at least their Wi-fi worked, and my lap top had a screen almost the same size.
The lounge has a nice view. The hot tub outside has a pleasant view too, and I enjoyed sitting in it. Unfortunately it bleached my navy blue shorts a funny purple colour, which made me wonder what it might have done to my skin.
The bar seemed pleasant, and the barmaid was chatty. After observing her incompetent effort to pull a pint, I asked her if she had ever been shown how? “Oh yeah,” she replied, “that was terrible wasn’t it? I’m so lazy!”
Before I left, I asked if they could take my bags down from my 3rd floor room, a service they advertised. I said I’d be back in an hour to check out. No problem, said the receptionist. Needless to say, on my return, I carried them down myself.
I do not like to leave negative reviews (please check, all my TA reviews apart from one which was mildly critical, have been positive).
With this in mind I asked to speak to the manager just after 10am on the morning I left. I was informed that was not possible because he was late for work.

Stayed: May 2018, travelled on business
Manager_ObanBay, General Manager at Oban Bay Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 22 May 2018

Dear Simon C,

Thank you for your review of your recent stay with us.

I am really disappointed that we have let you down and I will share your comments with the rest of our team, so that we can review the service that we provide.

I'm always grateful for such feedback since it allows us to make improvements where necessary.

Kind regards

David McGhie

Reviewed 9 May 2018 via mobile

My colleague and I arrived very late after a very long drive and unfortunately we're too late to dine in the hotel. However, a quick call to a local takeaway, whose number was supplied by the lovely lady at reception and we were sorted. We were given the use of a small meeting room which was the equivalent of private dining in which to enjoy our food. The staff went out of their way to make us feel welcome. So what if the furniture or decor is a little dated. The room was very clean and the bed very comfortable. The breakfast was more than adequate and there is something for everyone on the menu. Parking is restricted, but a little way along the road you can park for free. Overall I enjoyed my all too brief stay bit would definitely go back.

Dear Alison G,

Thank you for your review of your recent stay with us.

I am pleased to read that you had a good stay and I hope you take the opportunity to visit us again in the future.

Best wishes

David McGhie

Reviewed 7 May 2018 via mobile

The hotel is alright, a little old and dated but its situation is very good, a short walk to the town center.
The hot tub is disgusting, the alarming high level of chlorine made my sliver jewlery go black and we were bathing among bits of wood from the actual wood tub that went everywhere under my bikini.

The staff however was the most disappointing. The receptionist had no idea about stuff, the breakfast lady was simply rude and the bar staff didn't know what gin was (despite the amazing choice they had on display).

Stayed: May 2018, travelled with family
3  Thank Dayzee93
Reviewed 4 May 2018

Second visit to this hotel for four days in April. Had room at the front of hotel with great views of the bay. All staff were welcoming and friendly. Nothing was too much trouble. The food was excellent - we never had any problems waiting for breakfast or evening meals. Yes you could pick faults and say that this is an hotel that could be refurbished (most of the older hotels in Scotland could do with investment) but it is clean, has a lovely atmosphere and is in one of the best locations. We were there on a manager's deal and it was excellent value for money.

Room Tip: Request a sea view
  • Stayed: April 2018, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 3 May 2018 via mobile

Had booked for two nights but cancelled the second night. The room was dark with thread bare carpets, dated and stained furniture not the most welcoming. Breakfast started with my colleague and myself being told off that we were to early and it is on the door that breakfast didn’t start until 7.30 although it was 7.25 and people were already eating. Ordered breakfast and my colleagues plate of food was accompanied with wild life ( dead fly ) the waitress did apologised but surely this should have been the chefs place to do so. Overall both breakfasts were left. I would suggest looking for somewhere else if you are visiting Oban.