County Hotel
  • Restaurant
Tushielaw Inn(Selkirk)
  • Free Internet
TripAdvisor
All reviewsone nightlounge bareggs benedictoff road parkingfish piestornoway black puddingexcellent breakfasta bit crampedon tapon arrivalspecial mention must gorestaurant was fully bookedking roommeal dealstarters and main coursesvery attentive staffcheese board
Reviewed 24 October 2017 via mobile

Stopped by in Selkirk on the way up north from Newcastle, this hotel provided us a comfortable nights sleep along with an excellent cooked breakfast.

The staff were friendly and attentive and made us feel very welcome.

We got free parking in a private car park so didn't have to park on the street miles away, and the hotel is central to the shops if you need them.

The bathroom was large and the shower refreshing, helped make us feel clean again after a long drive.

On our next trip up north we'll surely stop by here again, highly recommend!

Stayed: October 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 18 October 2017

We stayed for just one night at this hotel recently for a family event nearby. I was so delighted that we booked this lovely little hotel. Do not be put off by outside appearances which do not show this hotel at it's best. Once inside the staff and service are great, our room was spacious, clean and fantastic value for money. If we are in the area again we will certainly book the County for our overnight stay.

Room Tip: Back of hotel away from High Street quieter but to be honest, it is not a noisy area.
  • Stayed: October 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 16 October 2017

My family have been using the County Hotel for over 15 years. Holidaying in the area, visiting Edinburgh for the rugby with my sons, on business, short breaks etc. We stayed overnight from Saturday to Sunday this week and our first impression of Selkirk, the town was that is was "tired". We parked at the hotel and checked in. The young lady was pleasant. Our room was big enough but, and I will use the word again, "tired". Clean and presentable but the heating appeared to be controlled from outside the room so for long periods it was cold. The shower was small and compact to say the least. We ate at the hotel and the atmosphere was non existent. The television offered little, unlike many hotels nowadays. There were only two couples, that included ourselves, dining on a Saturday evening, and some music that you could hear would have at least helped. The only reason that this review got three stars was the quality of the food, both at dinner and the following morning at breakfast. It was quite simply outstanding food. Atmosphere at breakfast no different and this time no music. I spoke to one of the owners as I checked out but there was little chat and I felt our visit was not appreciated in the slightest.

Room Tip: Rooms on the top floor eg 206, a climb if you suffer from arthritis etc.
  • Stayed: October 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 13 October 2017

This hotel provided good value whilst in town for a business meeting. I was greeted on arrival by a friendly guy who showed me to my room, which was overlooking the front of the building. The room was ok, clearly they are doing their best with what they have. The building is old, so the floors are uneven and the windows are single glazed (hence road noise, but luckily barely any traffic at night). The bathroom had a musty smell, which was rather unpleasant and the shower was electric, rather weak and difficult to regulate temperature.

Despite all of these issues it really was ok, the room had tea/coffee/biscuits and a comfortable bed. I slept well.

I had dinner in the bar, which was really good. Not many people around and lacking in any real ambience, but the food was delicious. I had the burger, very tasty, and the bread and butter pudding, which was lovely. Breakfast was also good value, my full cooked breakfast was pretty much perfect, and I saw others having rather good looking eggs benedict and scrambled egg with salmon.

If I'm in the area again I would consider staying here.

• Stayed: October 2017, travelled on business
Reviewed 3 October 2017

This was good value accommodation with an excellent breakfast. Our bedroom had been refurbished with pretty good shower room attached (though difficult to get right temperature water). Management do need to attend to the small details e.g. screwing on handles to chest of drawers, ensuring there is a proper blind to keep out light from streetlight. There is a general need for investment but we enjoyed our stay,

• Stayed: September 2017, travelled with family