“Good quality bar meals at reasonable prices”
Review of Dining at the Nith

Dining at the Nith
Ranked #30 of 140 Restaurants in Dumfries
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 3 weeks ago

The hotel is located about 5 miles from Dumfries with views over the River Nith to Criffel - it’s a peaceful setting - and the décor is very traditional.

We had gone out to the village to see how matters were progressing with the Caerlaverock Café and Shop which had been destroyed by fire some time ago and were pleased to discover that it’s due to re-open mid April 2018.

That said, it’s closure had re-introduced us to the Nith and we’d found the meals on offer here were every bit as good as they were years ago when our family visited quite regularly.

This time around we just ate in the lounge bar to save my elderly Mum the trouble of negotiating a few stairs along the corridor to the dining room which has a nice outlook.

There is a sizeable menu so most guests should have no trouble finding something to appeal.

My Mum, as before, opted for Solway Salmon and prawns and I had Highland Chicken (with haggis & whisky sauce) both served with garden peas, carrots and chips (£10.50 each). Although the meals are generous portions they are very tasty and I managed to clear my plate although my Mum seldom eats vegetables these days and left them. We shared a dessert - White Chocolate Profiteroles with pouring cream (£4.50) and again this went down well. Had I known it was only two profiteroles I would perhaps have requested one dish each! By the time we’d added a tea, coffee (served with shortbread and mints), a small glass of wine and a soft drink the bill was still a very reasonable £34.

Order at the bar and meals are delivered to the table when prepared - service was friendly.

It was quiet when we arrived and lacked atmosphere however had filled up a bit by the time we were midway through our meal at 12.30pm so this had improved.

Toilets are well maintained and since my last visit the hand drier in the gents has been fixed to run continuously a bit longer.

For a good quality bar meal at a reasonable price it’s difficult to beat.

Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

We were staying in the area so decided to have a meal in the Nith Hotel and weren’t disappointed ! We were seated at a lovely table overlooking the river, the service was very good and the gammon steaks we ordered were absolutely huge very well cooked and nicely presented ! And the puddings we’re home made and out of this world ! All in all an excellent meal in a lovely location ! Well recommended

Reviewed 4 weeks ago

We enjoyed a well cooked traditional style meal in a well presented dining room. Service was efficient and the staff very pleasant. We would eat here again if in the area.

Reviewed 24 February 2018

Lovely hearty food, pleasant staff and just a nice experience. The dining room has a fine view of the river and beyond and this place is obviously popular with locals.

Reviewed 21 November 2017 via mobile

Been many times, been decorated and freshened up since last visit. Ordered my young children their meal to come so not huge wait. They had huge portions even for children - they made good job of it. We did however wait longer than expected for our meals as wasn't overly busy and seemed to be plenty waiting staff. Worth the wait though. Couldn't manage a pudding as get plenty for what you pay for.