“Easily the best curry in Ayrshire and surrounding areas”
Review of Macs Spice Route

Macs Spice Route
Ranked #11 of 106 Restaurants in Kilmarnock
Price range: US$21 - US$35
Description: Macs Spice Route Indian Restaurant is the Highway to a healthy and heavenly dining experience. As Indian Food is made for sharing, we are pleased to bring you a new way of experiencing Indian food that is tasty, traditional, contemporary and above all healthy. Macs Spice Route is a warm, modern and inviting authentic Indian Restaurant in Symington just off the Route of the A77 near Kilmarnock. And has now become synonymous, with class and quality of Indian Cuisine. Our restaurant is vibrant, sleek and sophisticated, an exceptional dining experience. The décor and artwork has a contemporary twist, with attention to detail. Our friendly, modern and inviting atmosphere and wholesome healthy food make this restaurant a fantastic venue for any occasion. We use the finest ingredients, used by our highly experienced chefs. You will find our waiting staff are here to assist, by explaining each dish in detail, and the ingredients used. As you will see, each of our dishes are thoughtfully prepared and exquisitely presented. Come and discover for yourself, why customers near and far adore the creative cooking that goes on behind the scenes, in the kitchens of Macs Spice Route Restaurant Kilmarnock.
Reviewed 22 June 2017

I absolutely love my curries but it takes a lot for one to tick all of my taste boxes. The biggest problem I have with the majority of curry restaurants and takeaways in this area (and many other areas for that matter) is that everything pretty much tastes the same, with the same base sauce seemingly used, the only thing that varies being the amount of "heat" and which bits are chucked in.

Thankfully, at Mac's Spice Route, this is really not a problem.

I used to visit this restaurant regularly when it was Balbir's and was overjoyed to have a delivery menu pop through my door for this, the renamed, rebranded restaurant which has retained most of the old staff and certainly the menu. I've now had about 5 or 6 deliveries from here over the past few months, and every single time the curries I've ordered have been perfect, plentiful and most importantly, different!

I don't find the dishes too salty at all, as some others have mentioned, and the staff are great in that if you want something a little hotter, or not as spicy, they will tailor it to your requirements. Unlike sitting in, you need to choose specific dishes from the take away menu I think - but all of the banquet choices are on there anyway. Chips and Bhel Poori (the amazing starter you get when you eat in - like Bombay Mix in a spicy, zingy, sweet sauce) aren't on the take away menu but they'll happily deliver them to you as normal, if you ask for them. Maybe that applies for other things too; I'm not sure.

Personal favourite to start is the Chana Bhatura; chickpeas in a deliciously tangy, well seasoned sauce, with a bhatura flatbread. Honestly, amazing. For main courses you're spoilt for choice. The garlic chilli dish is the spiciest/hottest thing I've had, but it isn't pointlessly hot; it has plenty of flavour too. The chilli ginger is also absolutely delicious and quite different (the ginger flavour is very subtle, and the sauce is a dense tomatoey one that's lovely and spicy). The jalfrezi is exactly what a really tasty jalfrezi should be like - not the bland, cream-fest often found in these parts. Lamb Podina was really different when I tried that; probably the most different curry I've ever had, it's in a thick gravy coloured sauce but it's really tasty, unusual and authentic.

For those with a milder palette the Chasni and the Parsi are both excellent. The garlic naan is of a good quality. It isn't as thick or as large as some others I've had, but it's delicious.

In reality, you could choose anything off the menu here, either sit in or take away, and I pretty much guarantee it will be absolutely delicious, different and quite frankly head and shoulders above any of the local and not-so-local competition (if you love proper curry that is - not just the generic stuff that passes all too regularly for it).

Finally, in terms of the delivery service the drivers are fantastic and friendly and I've never waited more than 45 minutes, even when they're busy. When your food arrives it is always hot and each container is wrapped tightly in cellophane/cling film too, to prevent spills, which is a really nice touch.

Give your taste buds a treat, give Mac's Spice Route a try, and have some proper, quality, curry.

2  Thank AskTheDust

Reviewed 20 June 2017

Due to our plans on Father's Day we had planned to drop into Spice Route on the way home for a nice take away for a special meal for my dad. After hearing reviews from people we had high hopes, however what we experienced was something different. I phoned in and placed the order and I was told it would be 20minutes which was fine. However when I arrived at the restaurant I was left waiting for a further twenty minutes. When we took the food home and starting dishing it up we noticed there was no salad or sauce with the pakora, and the pakora was an extremely small portion. Also, we had ordered chicken tikka tandoori off the bone - we were served it on the bone. We asked for the accompanying sauce to be a medium spice - but it was so spicy we couldn't eat it. The two curries we ordered were acceptable, ingredients tasted very natural - just not big portions. Rice was nice, naan bread was a bit dry. Overall, I do not want to dismiss this restaurant - it had good points as well as bad. However, it will need to improve before I return.

Reviewed 23 May 2017

I have dined here on a number of occasions. The menu is varied with an excellent 'Taster' option. The food, on each visit, was of excellent quality with the dishes beautifully spiced. The heat within the dishes was changed to suite the diners preferences when requested.
We have used their take-away service and again it was excellent with a generous meal supplied for two people. There was sufficient to have that next day treat of left overs.

1  Thank str0ne
Reviewed 18 May 2017

Popped in here on Sunday for dinner, didn't booke, but still got a table. Ordered from the teatime special menu, which is good value.
Lots of veggie choices, I ordered the aubergine and potato dish, it was nice, but would be good with more sauce. Everyone in our group enjoyed it. Not the best Indian I've ever eaten, but it wouldn't put me off coming back.

1  Thank DonnaHappyPaws
Reviewed 14 May 2017 via mobile

I have eaten here on many occasions but have not been in the restaurant for a while as we have had take away( which is very good!)
So when we popped in for a meal I was surprised when the owner came up to us and said it was nice to see us again! The fact he remembered us out of the vast amount of people who eat here was amazing!
The staff are very helpful and attentive the food is amazing we always have the banquet and if you think all Indian food tastes the same you really need to eat here.
The staff will make sure you get something you like and nothing's a problem. I heard one of the waiters ask a customer if he had enough food and said it's not a problem if you would like something else, the customer thank him and said he had more than enough!!
I cannot praise this restaurant enough give it a go and you will be writing fantastic reviews like me !!!

1  Thank Rosieseraphina